GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So what the hell happens now?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/12/04 at 19:44
Regular
Release list looks increasingly average, LIVE play is utter toss as it stands and there isn't a whole lot on offer as far as releases go for the following year. The Chronicles of Riddick sequel will hopefully be out before the end of the year but apart from that and Dead or Alive 4 I can't see anything remotely interesting that will keep me playing.

Is this just me or does the following year look like a giant stop gap between now and the Xenon?
Fri 31/12/04 at 18:35
"I love yo... lamp."
I've spent far more time on Live since Halo 2 than almost any time before that, apart maybe from the first week of PGR2.

My thoughts on PC gaming are that despite far more high powered hardware, I just don't like it as much. There are so many issues and cheats and hacks for PC gaming out there that it really puts me off. I'm not denying there are no cheaters on Live, but there are far fewer of them proportionally.

I've started playing a few other older games again. Like Ghost Recon. Co-op modes on a few games etc.

I'm more satisfied with the Xbox now than before. PC gaming still isn't on the same level. It needs to be better integrated, more reliable and far less hassle. It needs to be coffee and booze friendly. I can't sit in my living stuffing my face and getting wrecked with mates AND play PC games. I mean sure, there was a couple of occasions when I've played strategy games on the laptop wirelessly. But in general it isn't a sociable enough thing for me.

Next year there is Forza Motorsport to look forward to. There is Conker: Live and Reloaded which I think looks like a complete return to form for Rare. There is the next Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six 4. Farcry Instincts ought to be fun as well. Thing is though, I don't need a massive list of games, because I already have so many that I have never yet finished. Maybe you lot just all have far more time than me to play games.

I just know that the Xbox has plenty gaming left in it for me, this year (about 3 hours worth I'm guessing) and the next. I'm happy with it, happier still with Live and I don't have any of the problems most of you seem to.

Each to their own I guess.
Fri 31/12/04 at 08:55
Regular
For the gaming layout it is fricking impossible. Real pain in the ass to get used to.
Fri 31/12/04 at 08:33
Regular
Indeed. The ZBoard has made a huge difference to my control. I'm still fiddling with mouse sensitivity settings though, so I'm not perfect. Yet :D

Oh, and it's near impossible to type quickly on the Zboard, since all the text keys are bunched up to the right!
Fri 31/12/04 at 08:25
Regular
Plus I think Bullet will back me up over the gaming keyset for the Zboard. Nothing comes close to how much precision and control you have.
Fri 31/12/04 at 08:24
Regular
PC online gaming as it s**tands is in a completely different league to LIVE. More players, more choice, better games, mouse and keyboard owns for shooting games and in fact the only combination it really sucks with is for driving games which is why I use a controller to play Need for Spped Underground online. Plus you can choose your server, see the ping times so you can get absolutely jack sh*t lag. New anti-cheat technology to screw the worms over.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is where it will be at next though.
Fri 31/12/04 at 06:42
Regular
I have to say that, at the moment, Xbox Live is rather dire. In fact, console gaming as a whole is just not pullling me in right now! Recently I bought Ghost Recon 2, Worms Forts and Killzone. They're still all in their cellophane wrappers.

The only console I can admit to playing is the DS with Zelda: Minish Cap. And then there's CS:S...

I banged in another 12-Month subscription to Live that I got for Xmas. Even though I am not using it right now, I am confident TS:FP, SC:CT, Conker and Forza will have me crawling back. Other games might grab my attention, but those four games are the only things I'm looking forward to on Xbox right now.

I won't even mention the amount of action my PStwo has had since I bought it...
Fri 31/12/04 at 02:40
Regular
"8==="
Mouse and keyboard suck balls plus I'm not taking my PC round my mates house.

Number of times I've had to upgrade my xbox since buying it: 0

Easiest setup, best level playing field, least effort to have fun: Xbox live.

There's plenty more benefits of live over PC but the ones I've mentioned are enough.
Fri 31/12/04 at 00:27
Regular
In fact, if you ring up and cancel Xbox live do you get what's left of your subscription back? I've had it for a couple of months and I've played it about 5 hours max.
Fri 31/12/04 at 00:25
Regular
I've said it before and I'll say it again. PC online kicks the holy hell out of Xbox live.
Thu 30/12/04 at 23:03
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Conker, Forza, Splinter Cell 3, DOA : Ultimate, Mercernaries, GTA:SA,
> Brother in Arms, Mechwarrior 2, Hitman : Bloodmoney, Destroy all
> Humans, Rainbow Six 4, Farcry Instincts, Darkwatch, Area 51, Unreal
> Championship 2, Pariah, Close Combat : First to fight, Timesplitters
> : FP, NBA Street V3, Freedom Fighters 2, Odd World Stranger, Jade
> Empire etc etc
>
> This year's looking like last year multiplied by 1000 from where I'm
> standing.
>
> Which is good as Xbox Live is about as intresting as re-runs of Blue
> Peter at the moment.

Looks good and as Ali said I shall be picking up a few of the christmas wannabe's 'for about 10p'.

The only one there I'm not interested in is Mech Assault 2. Unless you can change weapons from the standard ones you get with the mech AND is runs about 500% faster then the original I wouldn't dream of picking up the slow blaster that it will be.

CONKER ALL THE WAY. How anyone can write that off this early is quite frankly daft. But then again if you think Live 100% sucks then you're:

a) wrong
b) WRONG
c) Need to go off and think which platform you really want to bother with. Don't like it here? Not exactly like we need you (especially if you don't like live). :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.