GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Site help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/10/04 at 10:06
Regular
Hi guys,

I know that some of you guys are good at creating web sites so i need some help from you, I do not know much about it at all, What i want to do is creat a website for selling some stuff, I would like the customer to be able to pick certain items and put them into a basket and then at the end use a credit or debit card to pay fro chosen items, I wouldnt even know were to start on this, do i need a special proggy, how would i be able to make a secure section for payments to be recieved? how would i be able to set up a payment part of the site so the money goes into my account?

Cheers
Colin
Sun 31/10/04 at 13:40
Regular
"Freeola Support"
We can provide SSL on a Virtual Dedicated/Dedicated Server but the Certificates aren't cheap (although the US as normal have them dirt cheap), require a spare ip address and obviously a Virtual Dedicated Server is only recommended if you know what you are doing.
Fri 29/10/04 at 12:06
Regular
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know that some of you guys are good at creating web sites so i need
> some help from you, I do not know much about it at all, What i want
> to do is creat a website for selling some stuff, I would like the
> customer to be able to pick certain items and put them into a basket
> and then at the end use a credit or debit card to pay fro chosen
> items, I wouldnt even know were to start on this, do i need a special
> proggy, how would i be able to make a secure section for payments to
> be recieved? how would i be able to set up a payment part of the site
> so the money goes into my account?
>
> Cheers
> Colin
Just a note on the way I do this.
Tried NatWest FASTPAY, but, they don't offer a basket function! only 1 product at a time, So;
On one of my sites the product selling stuff is done by adding code for PAYPAL, because FREEOLA don't (or didn't at the time I set up these pages) have secure servers available I used PAYPAL for payments from my Freeola products pages.
All you need is the PAYPAL account and their site will generate the code for you to put into your product page(s). you can check mine at [URL] http://www.miraclemagnets.co.uk/products [/URL] then click one of the products to see the buy buttons etc...
My PAYPAL account is now a business account so the shopping basket shows the trading name unlike a personal account that would only show your email address.
Good Luck with your selling.
Thu 28/10/04 at 15:42
"Are you sure?"
Tyla wrote:
> AFAIK, WorldPay are still part of the Bank of Scotland...

Not The Bank of Scotland but actually The Royal Bank of Scotland - confusing I know but they are two totally separate banks.
Thu 28/10/04 at 15:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Afternoon wrote:
> Exactamundo. Paypal is so flexible.
> It doesn't look professional though, personnaly I trust most stores
> that use WorldPay as they are part of the Royal Bank of Scotland
> (well at least it was the last time I checked)

AFAIK, WorldPay are still part of the Bank of Scotland. Have been looking into their services for a lcient here, and they do seem quite impressive for a non-in house or off the shelf solution. Their charges aren't that bad either.
Thu 28/10/04 at 15:04
"Are you sure?"
JShop Professional is quite nice to use (and cheap as an ecommerce solution) and no database is required. You can get a months free trial from www.jshop.co.uk [URL]http://www.jshop.co.uk/products_jsp.php[/URL]

The shop integrates with lots of payment processors. I use their double padlock admin system which is very good and gives you an SSL Cert along with auto email confirmations etc.

Good Luck...
Thu 28/10/04 at 14:42
Regular
"Freeola Support"
monkey_man wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> 2. Use paypal/world pay to handle payments on your behalf. You only
> have to write the basket scripting then let paypal/worlpay ahndle
> the
> transaction details
>
> Exactamundo. Paypal is so flexible.
It doesn't look professional though, personnaly I trust most stores that use WorldPay as they are part of the Royal Bank of Scotland (well at least it was the last time I checked)
Thu 28/10/04 at 12:12
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> Drugs then.

Only the legal ones though :).

I will look into the e-commerce software and also i have a paypal account and look into that, not sure if i really want to spend tons of dosh on getting someone else to do it but i will see how quick i learn as i have until after xmas to make this decision.

Colin
Thu 28/10/04 at 11:14
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Tyla wrote:
> 2. Use paypal/world pay to handle payments on your behalf. You only
> have to write the basket scripting then let paypal/worlpay ahndle the
> transaction details

Exactamundo. Paypal is so flexible.
Thu 28/10/04 at 11:08
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Phooo, nothing like starting small!
>
> Immediate thoughts are that you should be looking for an "out of
> the box" package. However, I can't give any pointers on this as
> I've never set up an e-commerce site myself. Someone else may be able
> to point you in the right direction.

Generally e-com requires SSL, HTTPS and a lot of backend database/programming knowledge...

Solutions?

1. Get yourself a copy of Actinic (http://www.actinic.com/index.html) Out of the box ecommerce solution wowed by most of the industry for easy of use and quick fix functionality.

2. Use paypal/world pay to handle payments on your behalf. You only have to write the basket scripting then let paypal/worlpay ahndle the transaction details

3. Buy some good books, shut yourself in a dark room and teach your self all about Privacy, Data Protection, SSL, HTTPS, CC transactions and online security. Then be prepared for the cost of it all!

4. Pay someone else to do it
Thu 28/10/04 at 10:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Drugs then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.