GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"At last a games channel, but...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/05/01 at 11:03
Regular
My square eyes woke up this morning and searched for the remote control. My usual hop through the listings woke me suddenly, a new channel - "Game Network". Wohoo .

A quick browse through the listings for the day looked hopefull, "Previews and Reviews, Full Immersion, GJ Live, Game Clip Special etc.". And indeed the first program seemed to be as expected, 3/4 of the screen showing realtime footage of the game being reviewed along with a softly softly voice over reviewing how bad a game it actually was !. This was then followed with some pretty weird low budget animations all cutting short early for 'coming soon' texts. Then DISASTER, the signal froze, no more picture aaaarrrrggggggh, but fortunately only for about 10 mins, my new found Favourite Channel was live again :)

So the programmes continued, into a rather unsteady camera view of a girl sat on a blow up blue chair introducing the programme, which seemed to contain three people sat in blow up chairs reviewing a Star Trek game, I say "seemed to" because only a few words were in English, thats right it was a foreign import of a game review show. I think they were talking Italian, but I'm not sure! And it continued, the next programme spouted out the rules of their show, again in the same language I still didn't understand. Then follows a Game clip Special, again not in English and with really weird backing music.

There we have it my perfect channel came and went within 30 minutes, pulled away by the broadcasters importing of game shows rather than producing something original for our fair isle. Oh well back to .tv I guess for yet another tutorial on Paint shop pro

If anyone fancies learning a foreign language and catching up on games at the same time then the new channel is on 223 Sky Digital, let me know what you think ?....
Wed 09/05/01 at 21:23
Regular
Sure it wasn't a GBA game? :0)
Wed 09/05/01 at 21:16
Check this out they just reviewed a SNES game, now I don't like to disrespect old formats, but I haven't seen Snes gfx on anything but an emulator for years and it is dated as recorded 2001 !! Oh well at least they were talking english for a change
Wed 09/05/01 at 19:16
Note to self : Read words in magazine instead of looking at pictures !!

I've just had a flick through Aprils PC Format and there is a page about Games TV. There is small column with two Q/A's to the MD of the new channel, apparently it is going to be 24/7 however it mentions nowhere anything about Italy !!. Maybe they are woking on a sliding timeslot and changing language appropriately, we may get German and Russian later

Back to Daytona, does anyone know if there is going to be a DC Daytona release and if so when !? (Haven't read up enough on DC lately so excuse me if its a silly question)
Wed 09/05/01 at 18:33
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yeah, I found it on the multiplay message boards a few days before its official release. And don't worry, daytona 2001 on the Dreamcast is sweet, nice lil' import behind me =P
Wed 09/05/01 at 18:24
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Ive had this Channel on my Sky Digital for about a week now.
How you ask? well I went to the add channel listing and entered the frequency number and there it appeared, I then scrolled down and saved it on the system.
There are several 'Digital Satellite' sites that give you Freq No's to enter, which is where I came across 'G@meNetwork'.
Most of the time you get channels added to your system months before they appear on your normal listings by doing this trick. For instance I had Discovery Wings for 3 weeks before it appeared normally on the Sky Guide.
Oh and yes the Game Channel is infact in Italian and it can get a little boring if not quite Amateurish.
Wed 09/05/01 at 18:20
this channel rules!
Wed 09/05/01 at 18:16
Gamesmaster was cool and reruns would rock, gotta be better than sitting GCSE Italian every ruddy night . The more I have seen of the new channel, the more it looks like a 'Lifestyle' (urrrghh) channel, they were reviewing watches and watching dancing earlier.

The game clips thing is quite usefull though, however they are either on a low bandwidth channel or the signal is being compressed twice because the picture quality is poor with the fast moving games. Finally saw Daytona on the Dreamcast moving, but it was really blockey, I hope this is the digital compression and not a bad conversion !!
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:58
How long does this channel actually run for? My dream would be a channel compiling old episodes of Games Master and Games World and showing them all constantly back to back. Well it could go on for a week or so :/
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:51
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Couldn't really call it "Full flowing action", they looked like they were getting around 5 fps on Tribes 2, jerking every time they fire off a shot and running aimlessly in circles for ages..
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:50
Regular
Actually full flowing actio is more thrilling than screenshots...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.