GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"At last a games channel, but...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/05/01 at 11:03
Regular
My square eyes woke up this morning and searched for the remote control. My usual hop through the listings woke me suddenly, a new channel - "Game Network". Wohoo .

A quick browse through the listings for the day looked hopefull, "Previews and Reviews, Full Immersion, GJ Live, Game Clip Special etc.". And indeed the first program seemed to be as expected, 3/4 of the screen showing realtime footage of the game being reviewed along with a softly softly voice over reviewing how bad a game it actually was !. This was then followed with some pretty weird low budget animations all cutting short early for 'coming soon' texts. Then DISASTER, the signal froze, no more picture aaaarrrrggggggh, but fortunately only for about 10 mins, my new found Favourite Channel was live again :)

So the programmes continued, into a rather unsteady camera view of a girl sat on a blow up blue chair introducing the programme, which seemed to contain three people sat in blow up chairs reviewing a Star Trek game, I say "seemed to" because only a few words were in English, thats right it was a foreign import of a game review show. I think they were talking Italian, but I'm not sure! And it continued, the next programme spouted out the rules of their show, again in the same language I still didn't understand. Then follows a Game clip Special, again not in English and with really weird backing music.

There we have it my perfect channel came and went within 30 minutes, pulled away by the broadcasters importing of game shows rather than producing something original for our fair isle. Oh well back to .tv I guess for yet another tutorial on Paint shop pro

If anyone fancies learning a foreign language and catching up on games at the same time then the new channel is on 223 Sky Digital, let me know what you think ?....
Wed 09/05/01 at 11:03
My square eyes woke up this morning and searched for the remote control. My usual hop through the listings woke me suddenly, a new channel - "Game Network". Wohoo .

A quick browse through the listings for the day looked hopefull, "Previews and Reviews, Full Immersion, GJ Live, Game Clip Special etc.". And indeed the first program seemed to be as expected, 3/4 of the screen showing realtime footage of the game being reviewed along with a softly softly voice over reviewing how bad a game it actually was !. This was then followed with some pretty weird low budget animations all cutting short early for 'coming soon' texts. Then DISASTER, the signal froze, no more picture aaaarrrrggggggh, but fortunately only for about 10 mins, my new found Favourite Channel was live again :)

So the programmes continued, into a rather unsteady camera view of a girl sat on a blow up blue chair introducing the programme, which seemed to contain three people sat in blow up chairs reviewing a Star Trek game, I say "seemed to" because only a few words were in English, thats right it was a foreign import of a game review show. I think they were talking Italian, but I'm not sure! And it continued, the next programme spouted out the rules of their show, again in the same language I still didn't understand. Then follows a Game clip Special, again not in English and with really weird backing music.

There we have it my perfect channel came and went within 30 minutes, pulled away by the broadcasters importing of game shows rather than producing something original for our fair isle. Oh well back to .tv I guess for yet another tutorial on Paint shop pro

If anyone fancies learning a foreign language and catching up on games at the same time then the new channel is on 223 Sky Digital, let me know what you think ?....
Wed 09/05/01 at 11:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
aye... I noticed this channel yesterday...

Although the News I saw was in English...

It was follows by an animation of a computer adventure game (based on some disney movie) spoken entirly in spanish...

This went on (as some kind of dodgy cartoon animation) for about 10 minutes wherein the program stopped in midflow and was replaced by a TRibes2 piccy...

Which froze to the screen for another 20 minutes before another Spanish speaking review of Tribes2 started up...

I wouldnt have thought there was enough to talk about for a daily TV channel purly discussing computer games... and it seems I was right :)

Although the whole thing does have a kind of charm... its obviously homemade, and runs like a paradory of a real TV statiuon... cult viewing for the future?
Wed 09/05/01 at 15:31
Thanks for the channel guys
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:22
How long do you think it will last? It's not every day you see driving game footage with Bjork playing in the background. Though it *will* probably be every day now..... Nearly as bad as that 'Whereitsat' yoof channel that's just started recently. It's good to see that yoof TV is as rubbish as ever.
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:23
Actually this channel is crap. I've watched an hour of it and nearly all of it was in Italian!
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:24
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Bear in mind it's reasonably new, and at least it's dedicated to games. Helps me brush up on my Italian at least, going back over soon. "Il multi-player".
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:30
There are some OK games programs on .tv though.
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:32
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yes, but long breaks inbetween to show a re-run of Adobe Photoshop masterclass #349: how to draw a straight line.
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:36
I hadn't even got to part 6, 'Switching on your PC'.
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:50
Regular
Actually full flowing actio is more thrilling than screenshots...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.