GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Could The Guardian have handed Bush the election?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/10/04 at 16:01
"I love yo... lamp."
OK, so a week or two back G2 initiated a campaign called Operation Clark County, where Guardian readers write a letter to a voter in Clark County, a swing county in Ohio, which is itself a swing state. The point of the campaign was to encourage voters to think about the impact their vote makes on the world, due to America being so influential. But was it a mistake?

Some sample responses:

Dear wonderful, loving friends from abroad,
We Ohioans are an ornery sort and don't take meddling well, even if it comes from people we admire and with their sincere goodwill. We are a fairly closed community overall. In my town of Springfield, I feel that there are some that consider people from the nearby cities of Columbus or Dayton, as "foreigners"- let alone someone from outside our country.
Springfield, Ohio

Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two s***s what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies ... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of s****y food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals.
Wading River, NY

Right on! Just wanted to say thanks from California for your effort and concern. This IS a very important election ... There are so many people here in the States that care about the impact America has on the rest of the world. I am personally saddened for the loss of all innocent lives. The best statement Americans can make to the rest of the world is to not elect Bush for president. Thank you so much for getting involved in our world.
California

Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.
United States

I am a student and life-long resident of Clark County, Ohio. I just wanted you to know that this is a wonderful idea you've initiated; people here love and respect the United Kingdom, especially the prime minister. I hope this campaign will be successful for your newspaper and for us voters.
Springfield, Ohio

KEEP YOUR F****N' LIMEY HANDS OFF OUR ELECTION. HEY, S**THEADS, REMEMBER THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR? REMEMBER THE WAR OF 1812? WE DIDN'T WANT YOU, OR YOUR POLITICS HERE, THAT'S WHY WE KICKED YOUR ASSES OUT. FOR THE 47% OF YOU WHO DON'T WANT PRESIDENT BUSH, I SAY THIS ... TOUGH S**T!
PROUD AMERICAN VOTING FOR BUSH!

To read the rest of the letters [URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1329728,00.html[/URL] .

I hadn't even heard of this until I stumbled across this Ars Technica article that mentioned it. [URL]http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041022-4344.html[/URL] It basically just summarises the campaign, mentions the response and the writer points to the similarities between Operation Clark County and when he lived in Louisiana when David Duke ran for governor and the effect people like Dan Akroyd had when urging people not to vote for him. It also mentions how the Guardian's website was hacked.

The follow-up discussion to the Ars Technica article can be found here: [URL]http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=174096756&m=809003207631[/URL] if you want to read more.

So basically, I wanted your views on the whole Operation Clark County thing? How would you react if you had a letter from a complete stranger in a foreign country asking you to vote for somebody in particular? Would you consider writing to people in Clark County (or anywhere else where a similar campaign was run)?
Sun 24/10/04 at 19:39
The Guardian made a mistake with this. Obviously the vote in the US will affect the world, hence outside concern and trying to influence the American's vote. But, as in any country, county, region, or village, as a human our prime concern has always been the same over history - look after number one (yourself).

Sure, over time we may have become more aware of "outsiders" e.g. tolerating other races in their own country, listening to people's views; but in the end, you can't expect anyone to alter their views about their own community. By trying to change their votes in a presidential election is stupidity.

I think this sums up arguing about politics on the internet nicely: [URL]http://www.redvsblue.com/archive/download.php?id=136[/URL]
Sun 24/10/04 at 19:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Heh God bless America, you won't get a smart answer out of Ohio anyway, the Guardian should have just chosen somewhere like Alabama. That'd be like the New York Times readers writing to people of Dudley and telling them how to vote and then saying hey everyone this is representative of what the typical British person is like
Sun 24/10/04 at 19:22
Regular
"you've got a beard"
sadly i'm not surprised by any of those responses.
imbecilic ideas and stereotypes and ungrounded facts and statements.

yeah, america doesn't want any part of our "pissy little island"... until they find themselves getting their asses handed to them by "terrorists" (that'll be anyone who doesn't share their views on EVERYthing then) who they funded in the first place.

i can see how no-one wants to be told how to vote, but "Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican blah blah blah" just sums it all up, there's no real arguement, just instant threats and weight-throwing.
the root of all anti-bush sentiment is predominantly war-based and the only reason they got planes stuffed into their precious buildings in the first place was becasue of governmental weight-throwing, will they never learn? if it were me i'd have stancked a plane into the statue of liberty as well, just for the imagery (you notice that's one french thing that DIDN'T get any backlash from frances anti-war stance... funny that)

obviously not all americans think this, but it's a shame that the ones with least to say are saying it so loudly :(
Sun 24/10/04 at 16:21
Regular
I doubt that it'll make a difference, but the American's have got a point.
Who's to tell anyone how to vote.

Sure I'd be a little more polite in my reply, but I'm just a nice guy. :-)
Sun 24/10/04 at 16:16
Regular
Ha, that made me laugh, as it's so true how selfish Americans are.
The teeth thing - have they ever looked in the mirror?

The Navy Seals thing, the SAS would whopp their ass - they've done so on training missions (or so I've heard) on many occasions, or is that Delta Force (Hmmm).

And the last guy?
Haha.
Sun 24/10/04 at 16:01
"I love yo... lamp."
OK, so a week or two back G2 initiated a campaign called Operation Clark County, where Guardian readers write a letter to a voter in Clark County, a swing county in Ohio, which is itself a swing state. The point of the campaign was to encourage voters to think about the impact their vote makes on the world, due to America being so influential. But was it a mistake?

Some sample responses:

Dear wonderful, loving friends from abroad,
We Ohioans are an ornery sort and don't take meddling well, even if it comes from people we admire and with their sincere goodwill. We are a fairly closed community overall. In my town of Springfield, I feel that there are some that consider people from the nearby cities of Columbus or Dayton, as "foreigners"- let alone someone from outside our country.
Springfield, Ohio

Have you not noticed that Americans don't give two s***s what Europeans think of us? Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies ... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of s****y food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals.
Wading River, NY

Right on! Just wanted to say thanks from California for your effort and concern. This IS a very important election ... There are so many people here in the States that care about the impact America has on the rest of the world. I am personally saddened for the loss of all innocent lives. The best statement Americans can make to the rest of the world is to not elect Bush for president. Thank you so much for getting involved in our world.
California

Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.
United States

I am a student and life-long resident of Clark County, Ohio. I just wanted you to know that this is a wonderful idea you've initiated; people here love and respect the United Kingdom, especially the prime minister. I hope this campaign will be successful for your newspaper and for us voters.
Springfield, Ohio

KEEP YOUR F****N' LIMEY HANDS OFF OUR ELECTION. HEY, S**THEADS, REMEMBER THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR? REMEMBER THE WAR OF 1812? WE DIDN'T WANT YOU, OR YOUR POLITICS HERE, THAT'S WHY WE KICKED YOUR ASSES OUT. FOR THE 47% OF YOU WHO DON'T WANT PRESIDENT BUSH, I SAY THIS ... TOUGH S**T!
PROUD AMERICAN VOTING FOR BUSH!

To read the rest of the letters [URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1329728,00.html[/URL] .

I hadn't even heard of this until I stumbled across this Ars Technica article that mentioned it. [URL]http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041022-4344.html[/URL] It basically just summarises the campaign, mentions the response and the writer points to the similarities between Operation Clark County and when he lived in Louisiana when David Duke ran for governor and the effect people like Dan Akroyd had when urging people not to vote for him. It also mentions how the Guardian's website was hacked.

The follow-up discussion to the Ars Technica article can be found here: [URL]http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=174096756&m=809003207631[/URL] if you want to read more.

So basically, I wanted your views on the whole Operation Clark County thing? How would you react if you had a letter from a complete stranger in a foreign country asking you to vote for somebody in particular? Would you consider writing to people in Clark County (or anywhere else where a similar campaign was run)?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.