GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My postie is clearly blind"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/10/04 at 14:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
A letter came through the door today for

Mr and Mrs Muirhead
18 Cuthill Brae
Stoneyburn
EH47 8ZZ

The first thing that would have alarm bells ringing about whether i was delivering this to the correct address would be the name, if the other 4 pieces of mail you are delivering to the same house have the surname of STEVENSON on them would you give them a letter for MUIRHEAD? I hope not.

Next up is the address, my street is cuthill TERRACE, you cant just go from BRAE to TERRACE, the maths just isnt made for it.

The town is correct. (amazing! 1 out of 4)

The postcode is shocking, the EH47 is ok, but the last part is not 8ZZ, infact EH47 8ZZ is not a valid postcode according to the royal mail website, though they could be wrong since they like LYING to people.

Scottish Power issued the letter, i would have thought they could use quick address pro to check that the address was valid, but clearly they are dullards.

So in summary, Mr and Mrs Muirhead will not be getting their energy bill.
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:07
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
A letter came through the door today for

Mr and Mrs Muirhead
18 Cuthill Brae
Stoneyburn
EH47 8ZZ

The first thing that would have alarm bells ringing about whether i was delivering this to the correct address would be the name, if the other 4 pieces of mail you are delivering to the same house have the surname of STEVENSON on them would you give them a letter for MUIRHEAD? I hope not.

Next up is the address, my street is cuthill TERRACE, you cant just go from BRAE to TERRACE, the maths just isnt made for it.

The town is correct. (amazing! 1 out of 4)

The postcode is shocking, the EH47 is ok, but the last part is not 8ZZ, infact EH47 8ZZ is not a valid postcode according to the royal mail website, though they could be wrong since they like LYING to people.

Scottish Power issued the letter, i would have thought they could use quick address pro to check that the address was valid, but clearly they are dullards.

So in summary, Mr and Mrs Muirhead will not be getting their energy bill.
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:12
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
I used to deliver mail for Royal Mail (2002)...

It does happen sometimes, posties have to guess but anyone with an IQ over 70 would realise that it probably wasn't destined for your doormat.

If there's a return address on the back, put "delivered to wrong address (enter your address here)" and whack it back in the postbox...and it'll get around to him again probably, he'll mark it with a red sticker, it'll get sent back to the energy company and they'll probably look into it (rather than just cutting them off =P).

Same goes for junkmail, if you don't like it just put "unsolicited mail" on it somewhere and throw it back in the postbox. The company that sends it through Royal Mail gets charged twice, and they usually take you off their lists eventually =P
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Thanks for the junk mail tip, i might try that.
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've done that before if I'm honest. Twice today in fact.
I had to do Davenport Close, Chelsea Gardens, Wedleigh & Albert Gardens.
When you throw them in the morning into the frame sort, some possibly get mis-sorted.
So I had a couple of "182 Albert" in the "182 Chelsea" bundle.
Now a conscientious postman will either go back afterwards and put them through the right door or wait till the next day and put them correct.
Or, if it's 11am and you want to get done and aren't in tomorrow, you think "So?" and put it through.

Plus, now we know cookiemonster is:
Stevenson
18 Cuthill Terrace
Stoneyburn.

Tsk tsk, you wanna be careful about personal info on the web matey.
Just stick it back in the postbox, it'll get redelivered eventually.
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I'd give you my full address if i could be bothered typing it. Not alot someone can do with my partial address and surname.
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Oh, and i didnt say the 18 was accurate. ;)
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Heh, fair enough.

In his defence, although I couldn't really give a toss either way, you only check the road name and house number. It's not unusual for there to be quite a few different surnames at one address.
He looked and saw "18 Cuthill" and in-it-went.
However, there are some toeheads out there - 5am or not, I've had post addressed to a completely different county before.
And one for Portugal in my frame this morning.
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:28
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Goatboy wrote:
> When you throw them in the morning into the frame sort, some possibly
> get mis-sorted.
> So I had a couple of "182 Albert" in the "182
> Chelsea" bundle.

If you were me, you leave them in your bag... go back to the office anyway, and resort them to deliver the next day. Especially if it's not junkmail.

I used to do that all the time, I did "Roxwell Road" and "Roxwell Avenue". Problems arose...

1. I'd occasionally mis-sort (but usually spot it on my way around).

2. People are idiots, they'd write " 11 Roxwell Road" when they meant " 11 Roxwell Avenue" and it's a case of knowing all the surnames on your delivery route and not posting it through the wrong door... sadly I did (the job does that to you after a while =P).

...people pick up on that kind of thing, Christmas tips were good from those who I sorted out =P
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:29
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Portugal?

Bloody hell. Did the street address even match one that you would normally deliver to?
Fri 22/10/04 at 14:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
one-eye wrote:
> If you were me, you leave them in your bag... go back to the office
> anyway, and resort them to deliver the next day. Especially if it's
> not junkmail.
---

I did that with 4 junk things trying to flog loans or cars or somesuch, I thought "damned if I'm trudging back there for that". But there were 2 payslips and a Barclaycard for a different road and I couldn't really leave them until tomorrow. Besides, I don't go back to the office after unless I have to get anything 739'd. Go straight home.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.