GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What do you think?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/10/04 at 10:01
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
www.platformgamers.net
Fri 22/10/04 at 10:01
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
www.platformgamers.net
Fri 22/10/04 at 10:04
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Oof. That took about 2 minutes to load on 56k, and even then it looked incomplete. You might as well have sent me the Photoshop file. Plus you really need to learn PHP, or some other server-side scripting language, then you won't have to update about 30 pages should you wish to change your design (you will after Turbo or Tyla gets hold of this).

In short:
Too much graphics - took forever to load
Sh*tty layout - I got scrollbars on 1024x768!
Unoriginal - I doubt you'll be landing any more exclusives than IGN, or indeed the news monkey

If you've only just started making websites, then that isn't that bad at all, to be honest. Just needs refinement.
Fri 22/10/04 at 10:06
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Reynolds wrote:
> www.platformgamers.net

1024 x 768 and I still have to use a horizontal scroll?
Fri 22/10/04 at 10:22
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
OMFG!!! One word... Optimization!

On a 10MB pipe here and it took almost 50secs to load!!!! Imagine that on 56k!!!

1. Looks a mess in Firefox
2. Even at 1600x1200 you can read the vnavigation from 300 yards away!

3. Pixel fonts are designed to be used at really small sizes, not at the size you have them

4. Definate lack of understanding with div's and id's and the Javascript is seriously over bloated

5. Title tag?
6. HTML 4.0 Loose? Why?

?

8. The general deaign sucks. Going to ba an absolute nightmare to maintain and IMHO, it looks damn aweful.

you could reduce the overall size of all those graphics so it would render nicely on 800x600 which is the minimum rez you shoudl be catering for. There's a TD in there with a height of 800+!!

Not an ALT tag in sight

The diesign could look really nice if it were a little more though out. I do like the background of the main area, but try putting some dummy content in and seeing how it looks.

This scared me:

HTML 4 Loose has terrible support for CSS design. I'd suggest moving to XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Nice effort, but still a long way to go. Your biggest problem is optimisation of the images and code. So much redundant stuff in there which could be moved externally too.

Where the hell do people start out these days? Doesn't anyone look at what's already there? There's too many people who start out blind with a copy of DW or FP and just rack off some horrid design without researching first!!

The internet is open source, use it, look at other sites, especially if your creating something where there's already a 1000 clones and look at how to better it instead of shutting yourslef in your bedrooms, banging out some evil, ovebloated badly though out crap that no one is ever going to visit!

When I started out back in 1996, all we had was notepad. We had to learn how to code properly and understand how things worked and how to use the code to do what we wanted. There was no WYSIWYG and we we're contrained to HTML 2.0.

Most of us came from graphic design backgrounds with strong knowledge of colour theory, design principles and Layout. We soon ahd to learn HCI, and how to work within the costrints of 256 colours and multiple browsers. These days, it's a lot more complicated and requires a lot more understanding and knowledge before unleashing such crap on the outside world.

If your going to try and produce something which already exists, do the research, look at why stuff like IGN/AMAZON/Google are succesful, get up to date with current trands such as CSS, xHTML, XML, .NET etc etc and buy some books or at least try and do a few tutorials.

I was at a seminar with Forrester Research last week, and they nicely pointed out that there are 86million indexed web pages out there today, 90% of which are pure crap!! Please don't add to this figure!

Fri 22/10/04 at 10:45
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Reynolds wrote:
> www.platformgamers.net
>
> 1024 x 768 and I still have to use a horizontal scroll?

1280 x 1024 and I still have to use a horizontal scroll?
Fri 22/10/04 at 10:49
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
You don't like it then :(

I'm quite proud of it seems though it was my first attempt at web designing.
Fri 22/10/04 at 10:50
Regular
I'm no expert, but it's a good idea, just executed not-very-good.

I couldn't do better though, so it's perfect compared to my attempts :D
Fri 22/10/04 at 11:29
Regular
"Bicycle"
Took more than a minute to load over a 512 Broadband connection!

Also, really like the graphics, but the whole thing is much to complicated. Try to pick out the main features - Title, Navigation, Content - and make them a decent size.

Remember, minimize, don't complicate...

Simple is beautiful.
Fri 22/10/04 at 11:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ßulle†† wrote:
> I'm no expert, but it's a good idea, just executed not-very-good.

"Nail on head" springs to mind
Fri 22/10/04 at 12:57
Regular
Reynolds wrote:
> www.platformgamers.net

Where is this hosted? Doesn't seem to quick out of the server(s)...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.