GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game over for Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/01/05 at 10:07
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
Cube available in UK now for as little as £40... Games reduced to just over a fiver

In what could mark the beginning of the end for Gamecube in the UK, major retailers such as Argos have started to sell the machine for as little as £39.99.

[URL]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=100290&Trail=C%24cip%3D16704.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D16786.Video%2Bgames%3EC%24cip%3D16789.Consoles&categoryId=16789&clickfrom=image[/URL]

Accessories and software are also being reduced across the board. Index, for instance, have been flogging Mario Kart: Double Dash!! for £9.99, Mario Sunshine for £6.99 and WrestleMania X8 for a mere £5.99, while Woolworths have been selling a selection of titles from the Players Choice range for £6.99.

With both PlayStation 2 and Xbox having had a hugely successful Christmas, thanks to the recent releases of AAA titles like GTA San Andreas and Halo 2, Nintendo half-heartedly countered with a Cube bundle that featured the year-old Mario Kart: for the week-ending 11 December, just over 7000 Gamecubes were sold in the UK, compared to 37,500 for Xbox and 60,500 for PS2.

Luckily, new handheld the DS is at least doing well at present - Nintendo expected to have sold almost three million of the twin-screen devices in the US and Japan by the end of 2004.
Sun 09/01/05 at 01:06
Regular
"Theres only 1 Unite"
The PS1 is more expensive than the Gamecube!!! hahaha!
Sat 08/01/05 at 22:18
Regular
No one will be able to resist it!

It'll buy them stronghold in the budget market.
And trust me, the market is about to be begging for a budget market.
I think I've said this before, but the Dreamcast looked tempting at £100 with NO free accessories while I waited between N64 and Gamecube.
AND the £200 bundle with 4 games made lots of PS2 buyers think twice, especially when they were paying £350 for a console with just one game.

Now think between now and the next generation...

The Gamecube has enough games to make it a worth buy.
Because devellopers are aquainted with the hardware and have develloped middleware, it is much cheaper and easier to devellop for the new generation consoles.
If the games are marketed at a budget price, people won't expect so much from them and devellopment costs mean that they CAN be sold for that cheap price.

Sure, it'll never replace people's PS3 or Xbox2, but they'll never replace it either... see? :-)
Sat 08/01/05 at 21:42
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Strafio wrote:
> If Nintendo are bright then they'll have Gamecube, Players Choice game
> and memory card bundles for £50 by Christmas.
>
> Gamecube with 2 pads, a memory card with:
>
> MARIO PACK! - Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart:Double Dash
> METROID PACK! - Metroid Prime and Smash Brothers (it has Samus in it!
> ;-D)
> ZELDA PACK! - Windwaker and the 4 game bonus disk. Missing
> multiplayer action though... maybe replace a controller with Pikmin
> or Resi.
>
> Market it a little to make it look like a breath of new life rather
> than a last sale cop-out. Couple that with the release of new Zelda
> and Resi 4 and I think that Nintendo could set themselves up a long
> term budget market.

That is a huge amount of stuff for just £50.
Sat 08/01/05 at 21:14
Regular
If Nintendo are bright then they'll have Gamecube, Players Choice game and memory card bundles for £50 by Christmas.

Gamecube with 2 pads, a memory card with:

MARIO PACK! - Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart:Double Dash
METROID PACK! - Metroid Prime and Smash Brothers (it has Samus in it! ;-D)
ZELDA PACK! - Windwaker and the 4 game bonus disk. Missing multiplayer action though... maybe replace a controller with Pikmin or Resi.

Market it a little to make it look like a breath of new life rather than a last sale cop-out. Couple that with the release of new Zelda and Resi 4 and I think that Nintendo could set themselves up a long term budget market.
Sat 08/01/05 at 21:02
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
Oh Dringo im dissapointed.
Sat 08/01/05 at 20:53
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> So the GameCube has dropped to around a third of its launch price?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Xbox dropped around the same
> amount?

It isn't and official price drop.

Argos are selling the Mario Kart/platinum GAmecube for £80 still.
Sat 08/01/05 at 20:38
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
In this case the Sega Saturn dropped from £599.99 on launch to £20 so it should of gone bust. Oh wait...
Sat 08/01/05 at 20:29
Regular
So the GameCube has dropped to around a third of its launch price?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Xbox dropped around the same amount?
Sat 08/01/05 at 14:57
Regular
"xbox-nation.o-wh.co"
Wink's Lament wrote:
> I scares me it really does.

You scare yourself?!?!

And your an it?!?!
Sat 08/01/05 at 14:49
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
It scares me it really does.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.