GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Most over-hyped games..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/05/01 at 16:17
Regular
You've been waiting months for the latest release. Eveyone's been talking about it. It will rule. You even had a copy reserved, just to make sure there was one there waiting for you. Now it's the time to collect it. You're up early in the morning, and waiting outside the shop before it opens at 08:30. Your heart leaps as the shopkeeper comes into view, walking slowly toward the fron of the shop. Too slowly. Why can't he hurry up? Eventually he get's to the door, and opens it up. You step inside. Are you walking on carpet or air? ou're not quite sure.

Then everything starts to happen so quickly. Before you know it, you've paid for the game, taken it home, and removed it from it's casing. For the first time, you realise you'd were so worked up you'd gone up town in your pyjamas. That explains the funny stares. Never mind though, that's not important now. You fumble the game into place, and switch everything on. The loading screen takes too long.

Eventually, you're in. After a short intro, the game itself has started. That which you've been playing for months is now here..

....and it's lame. You could've had more fun with a tin of catfood. After it's passed through the cat. Depressed, you sit back on the chair, and start to regret spending £40 on this heap of junk.
-------------------

Yes, there's a point to all this:

So... what are the most overhyped/dissapointing games you've ever bought?
Tue 08/05/01 at 22:16
BAH, in what way?
Was it the... uhh... hmm, help me out here it's pretty deep and the water is seeping in.
Tue 08/05/01 at 22:13
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Bewarethetoadsoffate wrote:
>I also think Black and
> White
> was a disappointment, but that was inevitable after the vast
>
> amounts of hype it got. Its fun to play, but nothing special.

Why
> do you think B&W was a dissapointment?

its a fun game with good ideas, but it didnt live up to the hype
Tue 08/05/01 at 22:12
Funny that I found that Black and White was underhyped, everything I read about it said it would be great but it never had a big feature about it long before the release like Quake and so forth did. Probably because it isn't a FPS, but even non-FPSs get hyped occasionally.

Anyway, I don't buy games on hype, just instinct and interpretation. My instinct tells me if any hype is unjustified and my interpretation tells me what is true. It's worked so far, I can only think of one game I bought which was hyped and I was disappointed with namely Diablo 2 because I was distracted by the greatness of Diablo and I never really bothered to investigate the game itself.
Tue 08/05/01 at 22:06
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Shenmue.

It as Dan's fault, he was raving about it. First we had the 20 page post preview, then the massive review, then the 30 page post analysis. But it was hyped, and not just by Dan. But I fell for it.

Fortunately for him, PSO came out shortly afterwards and reassurred me that I had made the correct decision to purchase a DC.

Then MSR really convinced me that getting the DC was really worth it.

Shenmue has been gathering dust for an awfully long time since then. Undoubtedly the most boring game I have ever played on any format, even Barbie had more colour. It was hailed as an RPG but wasn't, it was hailed as a beat 'em up but it can take you an awfully long time before you throw a punch, it was hailed as having innovative graphics, the best ever seen, but you can say that about any recent game on the DC.

One day, I'll get around to giving Shenmue another go. I like to give games a second chance before they become placemats.

I'll have to be very very bored on a very very rainy day though.
Tue 08/05/01 at 22:03
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Bewarethetoadsoffate wrote:
>I also think Black and
> White was a disappointment, but that was inevitable after the vast
> amounts of hype it got. Its fun to play, but nothing special.

Why do you think B&W was a dissapointment?
Tue 08/05/01 at 22:00
I think perfect dark was a hyped up disappointment. everyone waited 3 years for the "most highly anticipated N64 game ever" only to find in was a rip off of the brilliant Goldeneye. Sure, it was a good game, but not if you already had goldeneye and had to pay another £30 for the expansion pak. I also think Black and White was a disappointment, but that was inevitable after the vast amounts of hype it got. Its fun to play, but nothing special.
Tue 08/05/01 at 20:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> turbonutter wrote:

I wouldn't say disappointed, but I agree.
> Quite a lot of
> over-hyped games are disappointing.

Well
> that makes sense!

I meant a bit disappointing. IE, not as good as expected, but not felling totally let-down, which is what disappoinTED means
Mon 07/05/01 at 22:01
Regular
South park. Those stupid people at NOM got me hyped about it as they gave it 90%.
Mon 07/05/01 at 21:53
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Any/All of the Elite sequels so far...

(Unfortunatly I did pay for them! :( )
Mon 07/05/01 at 21:52
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Daikatana

(at least I didnt pay for it! :) )

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.