GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dirty Disks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/01/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
The other day my X-Box decided to pull the middle finger and say
"Sorry mate, you got a DIRTY DISK! mwahahahah! Go buy another X-Box so Microsoft can say they've sold even more machines. Not that they're just BADLY made!"

Anyone had this issue? Happens to EVERY game (DVD/CD) I stick in the thing. Tiss quite annoying because I hardly ever use the thing anyways, but I bought Broken Sword 3 last week and was in the middle of playing it.

I've read on other forums that "Sometimes they just die." WTF!?! Cheap c###y console. It shouldn't 'just die'. Just not good enough.

And no, I don't have warrenty left, as I think this was one of the original X-Boxs.

Anyone know any magic tricks to fix it? Before I bother to one day, open the thing up, and have a little tinker and a spring clean. The only other alternative at the mo, is to buy a replacement drive from someone for £40. But I don't really want to do that.

:)
Sun 09/01/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
The other day my X-Box decided to pull the middle finger and say
"Sorry mate, you got a DIRTY DISK! mwahahahah! Go buy another X-Box so Microsoft can say they've sold even more machines. Not that they're just BADLY made!"

Anyone had this issue? Happens to EVERY game (DVD/CD) I stick in the thing. Tiss quite annoying because I hardly ever use the thing anyways, but I bought Broken Sword 3 last week and was in the middle of playing it.

I've read on other forums that "Sometimes they just die." WTF!?! Cheap c###y console. It shouldn't 'just die'. Just not good enough.

And no, I don't have warrenty left, as I think this was one of the original X-Boxs.

Anyone know any magic tricks to fix it? Before I bother to one day, open the thing up, and have a little tinker and a spring clean. The only other alternative at the mo, is to buy a replacement drive from someone for £40. But I don't really want to do that.

Sun 09/01/05 at 13:44
Regular
"Pwned"
Is it the game disks that are dirty, or the hard disk?
Sun 09/01/05 at 13:45
Regular
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:25
Regular
"Random by default"
Thats it my son, get out the feather duster, pledge and apron ;-)

Can't you send it back to microsoft at all? Maybe those "clean the lense" cd things could help?
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:25
Regular
Yeah, I'm getting the same problem with mine at the moment. DVD's that are completely scratchless randomly won't work. But if you try again 5 minutes later, they will work.

I get the same problem with some games as well (notably Halo 2). It knows it's an Xbox disc because it plays the same movie you get if you stick an xbox disc in your PC 'This is an xbox disc. Put it in your xbox to play.'

And also with some CD's, it makes strange crackling sounds over some tracks which doesn't happen on my PC/CD player.

Hrmm :S
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:27
Regular
"Random by default"
Pick it up, turn it around....shake it.

Sure it might damage everything else inside it buy might fix the dirty discs problem :-)
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:41
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
fire_starter wrote:
> Is it the game disks that are dirty, or the hard disk?

I'm quite an@l about cleanliness and keeping my stuff in good working order, so the disks are fine.

It's the lazer inside the DVD drive. It's either moved out of sync, or there is like a spec of dust on it, or the mirror.

:(
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:44
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Concept wrote:
> Can't you send it back to microsoft at all?

erm... it's been 'fixed' so to speak. So I don't think so. Had been previously 'fixed' when I bought it 2nd hand to.

> Maybe those "clean the lense" cd things could help?

Bought one, didn't help. Think the fact it won't play any CD/DVD might have been the issue using it mind. As you play the CD in the machine, and it does its job cleaning while playing some music etc. But as the drive won't load anything, didn't quite work.

:(
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:49
Regular
"Pwned"
Cooky wrote:
> fire_starter wrote:
> Is it the game disks that are dirty, or the hard disk?
>
> I'm quite an@l about cleanliness and keeping my stuff in good working
> order, so the disks are fine.
>
> It's the lazer inside the DVD drive. It's either moved out of sync,
> or there is like a spec of dust on it, or the mirror.
>
> :(

You can buy one of those laser lens cleaners. I think I saw them in Virgin.
Sun 09/01/05 at 14:50
Regular
"Random by default"
Tried blowing into the machine thought the drive? :-P never know!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.