GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"We will sue you if you download Music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/10/04 at 15:55
Regular
Says the BPI.

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3722428.stm[/URL]

Is there any real reason for this? They'll take one person out, but you can guarantee that another will come along and share files as normal...
Fri 08/10/04 at 20:54
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Hedfix wrote:
> Cracking down? 1 person in every 500,000 gets sued?

I like those odds!

I'm not stopping for a kit-kat...I'll happily stand up in court and give the media my 2 cents on the subject.
Fri 08/10/04 at 22:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
cookie monster wrote:
> How would they track you if you were using bittorrent?
>
> Is it possible?

Very easy to do. Bittorrent shows you who you are connected to by showing you the IP address. All they have to do is track the IP to the ISP who will give them who was logged in at that time. Probably even easier than that.

Basically they are going to sue people that are using Kazaa and similar networks, where a single person is actually share single files and have 100's or 1000's of songs for share.
Sat 09/10/04 at 00:08
Regular
"8==="
one-eye wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> Cracking down? 1 person in every 500,000 gets sued?
>
> I like those odds!

I made them up.
Sat 09/10/04 at 18:14
Regular
adrian wrote:
> Very easy to do. Bittorrent shows you who you are connected to by
> showing you the IP address. All they have to do is track the IP to
> the ISP who will give them who was logged in at that time. Probably
> even easier than that.

Will the BPI really have time to do this?

In effect, if they wanted to sue everyone, they'd have to look at each torrent, each person connected to it and where the torrent was made.

Bit-torrent is a real difficult thing for the BPI, it's serverless meaning that people can set up a link and just share it between them.

Which is why more 'static' networks like Kazaa are being probed.
Sun 10/10/04 at 08:35
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
gamesfreak wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Very easy to do. Bittorrent shows you who you are connected to by
> showing you the IP address. All they have to do is track the IP to
> the ISP who will give them who was logged in at that time. Probably
> even easier than that.
>
> Will the BPI really have time to do this?
>
> In effect, if they wanted to sue everyone, they'd have to look at
> each torrent, each person connected to it and where the torrent was
> made.
>
> Bit-torrent is a real difficult thing for the BPI, it's serverless
> meaning that people can set up a link and just share it between them.
>
>
> Which is why more 'static' networks like Kazaa are being probed.

Thats why I said they are basically going after big sharers on Kazaa and other networks like it.

Cookie wanted to know if its easy to track somebody on Bittorrent, which it is. There have been incidents that have resulted in film/TV companies emailing ISPs about users downloading specific files from Bittorrent, and the ISPs emailed the users to warn them.
Sun 10/10/04 at 17:42
Regular
"She's a dog!"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Bah i'd like to see them try, i've got Johnny Cochrane's number on
> speed-dial :-D

No Jury or Judge can hold up against the Chewbacca defence.
Sun 10/10/04 at 19:28
Regular
"The South Will Rise"
The music industry complaining that their are declining sales is just one thing...... They are not approaching their customers in the best method, this is the new age and people are not wanting to buy a CD.... I purchase CD's and sometimes I guarntee that I will like only 4 out of the 12 songs... If i could pay to download those 4 songs I would do, instead of paying £12.99 for a pile of crap....

The music Industry just needs to adapt to the modern age
Sun 10/10/04 at 20:11
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
If u look at every industry in existance, they all aim to exploit as much as possible. Its probably because the whole god damn human race is selfish, there aint nothing you can do about that. Its all want want want and never give give give and being completely honest with it.

Sorry about the rant... i totally agree that there are only a handful of songs on some albums you will listen to regularly, therefore downloading is appropriate. todays generation of kids probably wont know what a CD is by the time they get to 12, and computer downloading will be the way forward. The music industry = Extortionate prices. The same goes for computer games.
Sun 10/10/04 at 20:14
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
Who hasnt downloaded music, or watched pirated films??? i mean they cant sue all of us can they? I think its a "natural" payback for the ridiculous high prices the music industry charges.
Sun 10/10/04 at 20:20
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Peter Venkman wrote:

> No Jury or Judge can hold up against the Chewbacca defence.

Very, very true

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.