GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Best" broadband provider?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/10/04 at 15:45
Regular
"Not a Jew"
It's looking like I'll be getting BB in January,

"Your exchange will have broadband by 20th January 2005.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb. However due to the length of your line the 1Mb service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, set up the broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to order.

Order online today for a FREE modem and connection."

I know very little about broadband, usage limits etc. But I do know that I am NOT going to get AOL. Unsure about BT.
So can someone please recommened a decent BB provider and explain a bit about it and usage limits.
Thanks.
Sun 03/10/04 at 17:59
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
NTL is cable anyway, not ADSL.
Sun 03/10/04 at 17:54
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
For broadband down a BT phone line, I'd say that Pipex are the ones to go for (I've been with them for over 2 years and had no problems).

Take a look at Pipex ([URL]http://www.solo.pipex.net/xtreme-solutions/[/URL]) and look at the Sole 500 and Solo 1000 packages (give the Lite ones a miss). These come without any usage limits, so you won't have to watch what you download. Pipex also offer free modem and activation, a real bonus and it'll save you £80 or so.

Usage limits (also known as Monthly Bandwidth) are basically the amount of data you can download in a given month. Unfortunately it's difficult to estimate how much would be used as all web pages, email, video and games use different amounts, so going for an unmetered package is perfect - its what broadband was designed for.

Freeola offer broadband too ([URL]http://freeola.com/broadband/[/URL]) and bundle with it Free unlimited web space, email address and such, so if you plan on hosting any web sites, they may be worth considering, as it'll make it easier to manage, plus you won't have to worry about running out of space or managing multiple accounts. Though if you don't intend to host web sites, give Freeola a miss, their broadband prices are a little higher than pipex.

Azul wrote:
> But there's one rule you can't go wrong with, and that's do not
> go for NTL

Did you read about NTL's customer service answer machine being changed to an abusive message? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/ {SPACE} nottinghamshire/3693256.stm)
Sun 03/10/04 at 17:18
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Do not go for NTL

You're best bet is PlusNet (who I'm with) or Pipex.
But there's one rule you can't go wrong with, and that's do not go for NTL.

:)
Sun 03/10/04 at 17:15
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
I have NTL it's not all that bad, you can get 300k for £17.99 and 750k for £24.99, and these have no limits, there is also 1.5mb, don't know the price for that.
NTL will put a cable line though your house if you choose them.
Sun 03/10/04 at 15:45
Regular
"Not a Jew"
It's looking like I'll be getting BB in January,

"Your exchange will have broadband by 20th January 2005.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb. However due to the length of your line the 1Mb service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, set up the broadband service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the speed of service you wish to order.

Order online today for a FREE modem and connection."

I know very little about broadband, usage limits etc. But I do know that I am NOT going to get AOL. Unsure about BT.
So can someone please recommened a decent BB provider and explain a bit about it and usage limits.
Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.