GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My DS Impressions."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/01/05 at 18:40
Regular
"Touched!"
After debating whether or not to go for this or/and the PSP I'm glad I've got my hands on the DS. The first thing that I noticed was that it didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would, it looks quite bulky in my opinion but no more than a decent PDA would look, the weight is pretty good too considering what's been packed in there.

The menu system seems well designed but simplistic at the same time, I was glad to see that Nintendo appear to have planned ahead and already have the "download software" option there on the main menu for when they actually get the online stuff sorted out. I also didn't realise it had a mic built in, does anything actually make any use of this feature?

I'm also glad that as Disco pointed out when he checked over the unit for me it has no dead pixels at all. The screens look just right and certainly when I tried Mario Brothers 3 (GBA) on it the quality of the screen did look quite a lot sharper and better quality than the old GBA screen did. As I've got no games yet I had a quick bash on the bundled Metroid demo and not being a massive fan of the Metroid games (apart from Fusion on the GBA) I must admit I was pleasently surprised with how well the game ran and more importantly how it played and looked. The graphics do look on par with the PSone and probably slightly better in some areas and the controls took a bit of getting used to but things are looking promising if this is the sign of things to come.

Obviously with Feel The Magic coming I rekon I'll be on it a hell of a lot at uni and at home when I've got nothing better to do and when we start seeing some better games, I'm planning on picking up Ridge Racer and Mario in the coming weeks and with Wario Ware and Yoshi Touched I honestly think Nintendo will deliver, if there is one thing Ninty are good at it's delivering enjoyable portable games.

If this is the sign of things to come then Nintendo will have no worries in the handheld market, the touch screen is a neat little feature and if it's used properly would make for some quality titles, I hope the online aspect is up and running soon because I think it will be part of the key to success for Ninty, handheld MK online anyone?

So yes I'm impressed, there are a lot of games coming and I will be grabbing a PSP at launch because I want the best of both worlds but make no mistake - Nintendo mean business.
Fri 21/01/05 at 11:32
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I think most people who have a DS and have played on it for more than a couple of hours are pretty happy with the control system for Mario.
Thu 20/01/05 at 23:13
Regular
Well I got with the gaming press on this one. Taking out the analogue stick, the reason why the game was made in the first place, totally destroys an aspect of the game.

Essentially it maybe that. But the control system was a let down. A big let down.

PS2 didn't have a major launch title but then again it did have Timesplitters and Tekken Tag... Sony were very clever to plug games like GT from the launch simply to get gamers on board.

Gamecube didn't have a major launch title... fell on its bottom!
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:11
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> HELLO! SNES - Super Mario World, NES - Super Mario Brothers N64 -
> Super Mario 64, X-box - Halo. You need a AAA title at launch to sell
> it!

Playstation 2?

> Feel the Magic is alright, noting outstanding. And Mario 64 DS isn't
> special, it's a step back from sunshine and it's even a step back
> from the original N64 game.

64DS is 64 on a handheld with 20 more stars, a very fun multiplayer and alot of genius minigames. A step back? I don't think so.
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:03
Regular
"Two year break!"
Well I've ordered Tiger Woods for now. DVDsoon seem to be out of stock with every single one I've chosen so far though.....
Thu 20/01/05 at 15:57
"period drama"
Nope, don't bother.
Mario and Feel the Magic will last until the golden stuff comes out. Not long now.

Oh, and by the way, NGC said that the Japanese Wario Ware has all the text displayed in English, so you'll always know what you're supposed to be doing.
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:55
Regular
"Two year break!"
Gamespot have given it over 7/10 but IGN around 6/10.
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:52
Regular
That's what I'm thinking anyway. Spiderman is also a possibility but it might suck.
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:49
Regular
"Two year break!"
nooo.

OK, so what's it going to be then?

I want one more for now before Wario comes out. Tiger Woods perhaps?
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:47
Regular
DON'T! Asphalt is poo.
Thu 20/01/05 at 11:41
Regular
"Two year break!"
I'm still debating whether to cancel ridge racer for Asphalt Urban.

Got Wario on pre-order though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.