GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Set-Up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/09/04 at 20:33
Regular
"Bicycle"
...Yeah.

OK.

A bit random. But, re-designing my room. Got a 28" TV, with two SCART sockets. Have a Sky Digibox (with an in SCART and out, as well as the usual TV arial wire), a Sony DVD player (with 2 full RGB sockets, and a single SCART out) and my PS2 - SCART.

Problem is, I want them all connected via SCART, but I don't want a silly little SCART switch.

Now, you know how the TV automatically 'homes in' on anything connected and switched on (via SCART), well, how could I chose which has priority - eg. Sky and DVD are connected and switched on, which one comes up? - ?

See, old system was simply plugging the PS2 into my DVD player, but in general I have them all on... And I wanna just hop between them!
Fri 24/09/04 at 17:35
Regular
"Bicycle"
Whooo...

Figured I could just have them all (and my VCR) hooked up to my DVD player.

Which I can.

Except Sky, so whoo...

VCR----PS2--->DVD--->TV
Sky---->TV

How cunning.
Fri 24/09/04 at 10:11
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Coin wrote:
> but I don't want a
> silly little SCART switch.

fussy git :P

i find those scart switches really good for retaining quality. If you run everything through each other then you run the risk of signals crossing over (for example, i used to get interference from my video causing my PS2 image to flicker a lot)

if you get a nicely isolated scart switch (Hitachi do some funky looking and very effective ones) then you'll be fine... although with any luck you'll manage to wire your way round it and get your switchless wish :)
Thu 23/09/04 at 23:28
Regular
ok deep breath...

I have...

PS2 >> Gamecube >>> Video Player >>>> TV
DVD Player >>>> TV

Other DVD player >>>> Nothing :)

All interchangable using my TV's remote so I don't have to mess around with any wires.

Rah!!
Thu 23/09/04 at 22:16
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I've got:-

VCR -scart-> Sky -scart-> \
                                             > TV
PlayStation 2 ---scart-----> /

The Sky box comes on until I press "Play" on the VCR and then that overrides everything until I turn it onto standby. For the PS2 to come through I have to manually select it on the TV remote.
Thu 23/09/04 at 22:15
"possibly impossible"
You would have to turn off the Xbox. It's either that or get a switch box.

There is currently nothing that will add extra channels to your TV, which is what you need to have everything on and be able to switch the TV to each item, unless you get a switch box.
Thu 23/09/04 at 22:04
Regular
"Bicycle"
So confused...

But kinda understand.

What if you just wanna use the Cube, but you turned it on first, before the XBox?

(As in the XBox was the last you turned on...)

Would the XBox be the only one?
Thu 23/09/04 at 21:12
"possibly impossible"
Get a good quality Scart box without a switch.

It's possible to get a cheap version from Currys or the like, but unless they are good quality you will notice some degredation in picture.

Go for a decent gold edged 3 way scart box and the signal should automatically transfer to whatever is on at the time. It's also possible to have Sky on and a console and the TV will revert to whatever came on last.

...also, some things will appear on the same signal, thus creating a problem with the picture when they are both on. To combat this, find out which two things (i.e PS2 and Sky - although they shouldn't) conflict and put on in the 3 way scart and the other in the other Scart socket on your TV.

{more edits!} - I currently have the Xbox, Cube, DVD player and Sky all linked to one scart socket and the PS2, Video, Dreamcast and another DVD player on the other. I can switch between AV1 and AV2 on the TV for those and also have everything on (bar the DC for some reason) without interference.
Thu 23/09/04 at 20:43
Regular
"Bicycle"
Thanks...

Anyway to get all 3 to work at the same time (as in not on standby)?
Thu 23/09/04 at 20:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Azul wrote:
> Is this where the Sky call center training comes in handy, cookie?

Yeah.
Thu 23/09/04 at 20:42
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Is this where the Sky call center training comes in handy, cookie?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.