GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Life As a Teenage Filmmaker"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/09/04 at 15:27
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
For the last two months I’ve been living off a tiny, tiny amount of money. I decided to pack in my weekend job at Woolies and live this life. I can’t really complain about not being able to go out as much or buy any DVD’s anymore, as it was my choice. I decided to become a filmmaker.

After leaving college I was on a desperate search to find work in the harsh world that is the Media industry. I wrote off to loads and loads of companies asking for work or even just a short experience placement. Sadly I didn’t hear anything apart from a request for my show reel, which didn’t go anywhere. One of these companies was Creative Gold, a local video production business. While looking on their website, I noticed they were going into production of their first feature film ‘The Jigsaw of Life’. I hoped this would mean they’d need more staff, but they never contacted me.

Then one day while reading through a Shooting People (an online community for filmmakers) newsletter I noticed an advert for unpaid crew on a film…The Jigsaw of Life. I answered the ad and the next day was in the local Café Bonjour discussing the film. I didn’t want to take on too much responsibility and as of yet, I don’t have an area of expertise. So I was taken on as a Production Assistant. Here I am, eighteen years old and I’ve already achieved my dream…kinda.

The film was still very much in the early stages of pre-production so it would be a couple of months before my services would be needed. Around the middle of July I was called up and asked to come and help out with the auditions. This was a great experience in itself. Not only was I sat on the judges panel watching these actors, I was also filming them and read lines for a few scenes. I’m not an actor, I can’t act at all and I had to stand there, maintaining eye contact with these professional actors and having to give them enough to work off. Some of these scenes involved shouting and violence, so I had to also stand there and be shouted at and pushed around while still looking them in the eye. I also spent some time working the reception area, which was cool as I got to really talk to the actors.

Filming began on the 27th August but I was away getting drunk in a muddy field, sleeping in a tent, and watching some great bands at Reading that weekend. So I didn’t join the production until the following weekend. That Saturday my day started at 4am. Up before the sun, to be at the directors house by 5:30am. It was so early as we were filming at a pub and had to be out by opening time at 11am. After meeting a lot of new people and shaking more hands than I ever have in my life, we set off to start filming. My job as PA meant I’m the guy who does the stuff no one else can/wants to do. So the day consisted of me and my fellow PA, Pete, holding the boom (the long stick that holds the microphone), carrying and setting up equipment, and I took the role of an extra in one scene. It was a long shoot as we had a lot of scenes to cover, some of which took some working out including a fight where the bad guy ends up in a river. After filming, it was to the director’s fiancée’s house for a BBQ. My Dad came and picked me up and I got home just before twelve. It was the longest and hardest days work I’ve ever done and I wasn’t even being paid to do it! It sure was fun though and I now know it’s defiantly what I want to do with my life.

Over the next few weekends we filmed at Oxford University (just after Harry Potter was done with it), various fields, houses, and last week at a Polo club. Here we filmed a party scene where I was again an extra, but this time in the main shot standing behind the lead actor. Not too shabby. I even got the girlfriend in the shot too. The actors are all very cool and I’m sure I’ll call some of them up when I get the money together to make my own film. I’ve always seen actors as those annoying performing arts students who sing, shout, and constantly call attention to themselves. But turns out, they’re people too. It such a good atmosphere on set and most of the time we find ourselves sitting around talking about films and all kinds of stuff like you do with your best friends. We spend around twelve or so hours together a day, so we’ve all grown pretty close. Everyone’s there for the right reason. No one’s being paid, we’re all just there to make a film. It’s about the art, not the money. If it does ever make and money then we get a share of the profits, but that’s a long time away from possibly happening.

My job has also been to film behind the scenes footage and take still photos. I’ve filmed about three hours worth of footage and two hundred pictures. Pete (the other PA) was going to edit it all together and make a documentary for the bonus features of the DVD. But he had a fall out with the director (we haven’t been told why) and is no longer involved with the production, leaving me to do the editing. Kick ass. So now when the filming finishes on Wednesday, I’ll still be able to do something constructive.

I now need to get back to working a ‘real’ job which looks set to be my local Blockbuster store. I’ve been living off the bare minimum and have accumulated a £200 debt but it’s all been worth it. If I’d stayed in Woolworths, what would I have to show for it besides a discount card and a bit of spending money? From this film, I’ll have a finished piece that I can keep forever, show people, and be proud of. So many people want to do this kind of work and never will, so I couldn’t have turned down my chance. What better time to chase your dreams than when your young and have no responsibilities? I’ve followed my dreams and this is only the beginning.

So to all you people who would love to get involved with this kind of work, it is possible. It's going on everywhere, all the time. You just have to get yourself out there and find it. I now also have a book of contacts, which I'm sure we'll make it easier to find work in the future.

I’ll keep you posted on the film. We’re obviously hoping for a theatrical release but I think a straight to DVD is more likely. I also hear that if there’s no distribution deal, it’s almost defiantly going on the BBC. I hope for the best as the better it does, the better it is for me and all the others who have worked so hard.
Tue 07/06/05 at 20:33
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
The latest film from Anghus Houvouras (a talented writer/director I know in the USA) has been released today. I would ask people to check it out but sadly it's only on region 1 for the time being...although [URL]http://www.dvdboxoffice.com[/URL] are selling it with free shipping and under a tenner.

It's called 20 Funerals and you can read about it at the IMDB [URL]http://imdb.com/title/tt0411058/[/URL]

As for me, I'm currently working on a sketch comedy show. I'm not developing it to pitch or anything but just as a chance to enhance my skills a bit and add some new material to my show reel. At the moment I'm writing basic synopsis for each sketch and talking to various people I've worked with to build up my cast/crew.
Thu 12/05/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
The first review of the film is in. It isn't the best review ever but has it's good points too. I can't help but think they were expecting a bit too much from the new director/writer.

[URL]http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/reviews/film/jigsaw.htm[/URL]
Wed 11/05/05 at 22:14
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Cannes, eh? Blimey. Keep going, these are very interesting to read.

Cheers and thanks for reading all the way through that last one. After posting I realised that the average user wouldn't have the patience to read it through.

Did you check out the link and the trailer?
Wed 11/05/05 at 18:14
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I get that myself anyway.
Wed 11/05/05 at 17:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Also, I dare you to name your child "Bag", just for the "Douch, Bag" gag on any forms Bag will get for the rest of Bag's life. Don't worry, it's a unisex name.
Wed 11/05/05 at 17:43
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Volleyball, eh?
Wed 11/05/05 at 17:37
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Cannes, eh? Blimey. Keep going, these are very interesting to read.
Tue 10/05/05 at 23:44
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Through the barrage of election and university topics comes a new episode in the continuing saga of CDouch...

Saturday night saw the cast and crew screening for The Jigsaw of Life (or how I spent last September). I had heard there was going to be members of the press, critics, and family/friends but had no idea we'd have as big of an audience as we did. I believe there were 212 people in attendance. Not too bad for a little film we filmed on Mini DV cameras with a completely amateur crew and a no-name-cast.

As I walked towards the art house theatre we were screening in, I saw a large crowd surrounding the entrance. None of who I recognised. The majority were also dressed as if it was the Oscars while I was turning up in a Bill & Ted T-shirt and hoody. I had misread the invitation thinking it said 'smart casual' when it was actually 'smart formal' (something I noticed in the hour before the film began). My girlfriend wasn't pleased.

So we went in and had a quick chat with the odd few people we recognised and made are way through to take our seats. I was still shocked by the size of the audience and even more so by the sight of some kids who went to my school. Mark (the director) took the floor and gave a nervous speech and the film began. Two hours later the film ended to a great response, and it was on for food. I didn't expect too much from the film. The script wasn't the best (but was still a strong enough effort and had some good ideas) and we were learning as we went along. I think it was a bad idea going for a two hour cut as it began to drag at times. I've read somewhere that a film shouldn't go much beyond the ninety minute mark unless it really has something to say. We didn't say too much, except life is like a jigsaw. The performances (in most cases) were top quality from our semi-professional cast. I love those guys so much and can't wait until the opportunity arises to work with them again. Mark had also done some nifty tricks in the editing suit, including a black and white scene that was simply brilliant. The young local bands that provided the soundtrack also did a great job and are bound to go on to good things. Plus I feature as a key extra in one scene which was quite strange to see on a full cinema screen and will be something to show the kids.

Sadly my making of documentary wasn't shown as planned. The director was supposed to send me some footage from auditions, an interview with himself, and the soundtrack, but he didn't come through. Hopefully it'll still make it to the DVD and not have been a complete waste of time and film.

While I was waiting for my girlfriend to return from her journey to the bathroom, I heard a man from the press (easily identified by his larger than average camera) talking to who I assume was a critic walking out. He loved the acting but felt the script needed a tweak, to which his friend replied "but that's what you expect from this kind of thing". So I assume it went down well with them. The audience were also hooked throughout. Laughing when they should and sat staring blankly when there was dramatic tension. Even I jumped at a gun shot, and I worked on the damn crew!

After a quick Panini in Oxford, we went on to the after show party. I'd already decided I wasn't going to drink as I'm extremely low on money and these are people that I click with so well that drink is not needed to insure a good time. It was excellent to catch up with people and talk about the random junk in our heads and projects we're working on. Kelvin (one of the lead actors) has left his job to, get this, test computer games. The job everyone always wanted (besides filmmaking). This became a key point in discussions and the point too many jokes (including the experience listed on his CV; "Super Mario Bros, Tekken 2, and completed GTA in a week...") especially when the other lead actor sells curtains at markets. The main actor (Nick) is in a comedy show that's kind of down my way (High Wycombe - If anyone lives down that way I suggest you check it out) this summer and we talked about that and me possibly going to check it out. He's a great actor and possibly the funniest person I've ever met, therefore I spoke to him about starring in the short film I've started writing.

Anyway, I'm rambling on a little so I'll wrap it up with a link:

[URL]http://www.creativegold.co.uk/Projects/The%20Jigsaw%20of%20Life/The%20Jigsaw%20of%20Life.htm[/URL]

The writer/director is already working on his next feature to shoot in 2006. It's called 'Daisy Bank' and will be the first film on my resume without a cheesy title.

As I mentioned before, I've shifted my focus yet again. This time to a short. I've always known it's a good idea to begin with shorts before taking the leap to features, but have never been able to think up a unique idea that I'd like to develop in this way. You learn from doing and this is the cheapest, less time consuming way to do just that. I need to expand my knowledge of a number of aspects including lighting, organising the production etc. The other day an idea hit me and has quickly been falling into place ever since.

Today I received an invitation to a party in Cannes next week. Not just any party. A volleyball party, with free drinks and live music. Yet enough reason to make me wish I was attending this year’s festival. Sadly I'll be at home celebrating my birthday. However now that the first two films I worked on are complete and ready to enter the festival circuit, I should be visiting a few events. It seems most likely that the first will be Edinburgh as both films are shooting to premier there in August.

I heard from the director of the weak, sword fighting short I helped out on the other day. It simply said that unfortunately the film will not be entering Cannes or Soho. I can't say I expected anything else. Still, it wasn't a total waste as I gained more contacts/experience and people seem to find the story quite funny.
Thu 21/04/05 at 18:53
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Script writing has been something I've done for a while now. I've always been the one to write the script for our drama pieces.
Thu 21/04/05 at 18:01
Regular
"Funky Gibon"
Cool I am just thinking of some ideas and need to write stuff down properly I was just asking because I might like to progress into directing one day but no-one new how to get into the buisness so i asked an expert

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.