GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Life As a Teenage Filmmaker"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/09/04 at 15:27
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
For the last two months I’ve been living off a tiny, tiny amount of money. I decided to pack in my weekend job at Woolies and live this life. I can’t really complain about not being able to go out as much or buy any DVD’s anymore, as it was my choice. I decided to become a filmmaker.

After leaving college I was on a desperate search to find work in the harsh world that is the Media industry. I wrote off to loads and loads of companies asking for work or even just a short experience placement. Sadly I didn’t hear anything apart from a request for my show reel, which didn’t go anywhere. One of these companies was Creative Gold, a local video production business. While looking on their website, I noticed they were going into production of their first feature film ‘The Jigsaw of Life’. I hoped this would mean they’d need more staff, but they never contacted me.

Then one day while reading through a Shooting People (an online community for filmmakers) newsletter I noticed an advert for unpaid crew on a film…The Jigsaw of Life. I answered the ad and the next day was in the local Café Bonjour discussing the film. I didn’t want to take on too much responsibility and as of yet, I don’t have an area of expertise. So I was taken on as a Production Assistant. Here I am, eighteen years old and I’ve already achieved my dream…kinda.

The film was still very much in the early stages of pre-production so it would be a couple of months before my services would be needed. Around the middle of July I was called up and asked to come and help out with the auditions. This was a great experience in itself. Not only was I sat on the judges panel watching these actors, I was also filming them and read lines for a few scenes. I’m not an actor, I can’t act at all and I had to stand there, maintaining eye contact with these professional actors and having to give them enough to work off. Some of these scenes involved shouting and violence, so I had to also stand there and be shouted at and pushed around while still looking them in the eye. I also spent some time working the reception area, which was cool as I got to really talk to the actors.

Filming began on the 27th August but I was away getting drunk in a muddy field, sleeping in a tent, and watching some great bands at Reading that weekend. So I didn’t join the production until the following weekend. That Saturday my day started at 4am. Up before the sun, to be at the directors house by 5:30am. It was so early as we were filming at a pub and had to be out by opening time at 11am. After meeting a lot of new people and shaking more hands than I ever have in my life, we set off to start filming. My job as PA meant I’m the guy who does the stuff no one else can/wants to do. So the day consisted of me and my fellow PA, Pete, holding the boom (the long stick that holds the microphone), carrying and setting up equipment, and I took the role of an extra in one scene. It was a long shoot as we had a lot of scenes to cover, some of which took some working out including a fight where the bad guy ends up in a river. After filming, it was to the director’s fiancée’s house for a BBQ. My Dad came and picked me up and I got home just before twelve. It was the longest and hardest days work I’ve ever done and I wasn’t even being paid to do it! It sure was fun though and I now know it’s defiantly what I want to do with my life.

Over the next few weekends we filmed at Oxford University (just after Harry Potter was done with it), various fields, houses, and last week at a Polo club. Here we filmed a party scene where I was again an extra, but this time in the main shot standing behind the lead actor. Not too shabby. I even got the girlfriend in the shot too. The actors are all very cool and I’m sure I’ll call some of them up when I get the money together to make my own film. I’ve always seen actors as those annoying performing arts students who sing, shout, and constantly call attention to themselves. But turns out, they’re people too. It such a good atmosphere on set and most of the time we find ourselves sitting around talking about films and all kinds of stuff like you do with your best friends. We spend around twelve or so hours together a day, so we’ve all grown pretty close. Everyone’s there for the right reason. No one’s being paid, we’re all just there to make a film. It’s about the art, not the money. If it does ever make and money then we get a share of the profits, but that’s a long time away from possibly happening.

My job has also been to film behind the scenes footage and take still photos. I’ve filmed about three hours worth of footage and two hundred pictures. Pete (the other PA) was going to edit it all together and make a documentary for the bonus features of the DVD. But he had a fall out with the director (we haven’t been told why) and is no longer involved with the production, leaving me to do the editing. Kick ass. So now when the filming finishes on Wednesday, I’ll still be able to do something constructive.

I now need to get back to working a ‘real’ job which looks set to be my local Blockbuster store. I’ve been living off the bare minimum and have accumulated a £200 debt but it’s all been worth it. If I’d stayed in Woolworths, what would I have to show for it besides a discount card and a bit of spending money? From this film, I’ll have a finished piece that I can keep forever, show people, and be proud of. So many people want to do this kind of work and never will, so I couldn’t have turned down my chance. What better time to chase your dreams than when your young and have no responsibilities? I’ve followed my dreams and this is only the beginning.

So to all you people who would love to get involved with this kind of work, it is possible. It's going on everywhere, all the time. You just have to get yourself out there and find it. I now also have a book of contacts, which I'm sure we'll make it easier to find work in the future.

I’ll keep you posted on the film. We’re obviously hoping for a theatrical release but I think a straight to DVD is more likely. I also hear that if there’s no distribution deal, it’s almost defiantly going on the BBC. I hope for the best as the better it does, the better it is for me and all the others who have worked so hard.
Sat 18/09/04 at 15:27
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
For the last two months I’ve been living off a tiny, tiny amount of money. I decided to pack in my weekend job at Woolies and live this life. I can’t really complain about not being able to go out as much or buy any DVD’s anymore, as it was my choice. I decided to become a filmmaker.

After leaving college I was on a desperate search to find work in the harsh world that is the Media industry. I wrote off to loads and loads of companies asking for work or even just a short experience placement. Sadly I didn’t hear anything apart from a request for my show reel, which didn’t go anywhere. One of these companies was Creative Gold, a local video production business. While looking on their website, I noticed they were going into production of their first feature film ‘The Jigsaw of Life’. I hoped this would mean they’d need more staff, but they never contacted me.

Then one day while reading through a Shooting People (an online community for filmmakers) newsletter I noticed an advert for unpaid crew on a film…The Jigsaw of Life. I answered the ad and the next day was in the local Café Bonjour discussing the film. I didn’t want to take on too much responsibility and as of yet, I don’t have an area of expertise. So I was taken on as a Production Assistant. Here I am, eighteen years old and I’ve already achieved my dream…kinda.

The film was still very much in the early stages of pre-production so it would be a couple of months before my services would be needed. Around the middle of July I was called up and asked to come and help out with the auditions. This was a great experience in itself. Not only was I sat on the judges panel watching these actors, I was also filming them and read lines for a few scenes. I’m not an actor, I can’t act at all and I had to stand there, maintaining eye contact with these professional actors and having to give them enough to work off. Some of these scenes involved shouting and violence, so I had to also stand there and be shouted at and pushed around while still looking them in the eye. I also spent some time working the reception area, which was cool as I got to really talk to the actors.

Filming began on the 27th August but I was away getting drunk in a muddy field, sleeping in a tent, and watching some great bands at Reading that weekend. So I didn’t join the production until the following weekend. That Saturday my day started at 4am. Up before the sun, to be at the directors house by 5:30am. It was so early as we were filming at a pub and had to be out by opening time at 11am. After meeting a lot of new people and shaking more hands than I ever have in my life, we set off to start filming. My job as PA meant I’m the guy who does the stuff no one else can/wants to do. So the day consisted of me and my fellow PA, Pete, holding the boom (the long stick that holds the microphone), carrying and setting up equipment, and I took the role of an extra in one scene. It was a long shoot as we had a lot of scenes to cover, some of which took some working out including a fight where the bad guy ends up in a river. After filming, it was to the director’s fiancée’s house for a BBQ. My Dad came and picked me up and I got home just before twelve. It was the longest and hardest days work I’ve ever done and I wasn’t even being paid to do it! It sure was fun though and I now know it’s defiantly what I want to do with my life.

Over the next few weekends we filmed at Oxford University (just after Harry Potter was done with it), various fields, houses, and last week at a Polo club. Here we filmed a party scene where I was again an extra, but this time in the main shot standing behind the lead actor. Not too shabby. I even got the girlfriend in the shot too. The actors are all very cool and I’m sure I’ll call some of them up when I get the money together to make my own film. I’ve always seen actors as those annoying performing arts students who sing, shout, and constantly call attention to themselves. But turns out, they’re people too. It such a good atmosphere on set and most of the time we find ourselves sitting around talking about films and all kinds of stuff like you do with your best friends. We spend around twelve or so hours together a day, so we’ve all grown pretty close. Everyone’s there for the right reason. No one’s being paid, we’re all just there to make a film. It’s about the art, not the money. If it does ever make and money then we get a share of the profits, but that’s a long time away from possibly happening.

My job has also been to film behind the scenes footage and take still photos. I’ve filmed about three hours worth of footage and two hundred pictures. Pete (the other PA) was going to edit it all together and make a documentary for the bonus features of the DVD. But he had a fall out with the director (we haven’t been told why) and is no longer involved with the production, leaving me to do the editing. Kick ass. So now when the filming finishes on Wednesday, I’ll still be able to do something constructive.

I now need to get back to working a ‘real’ job which looks set to be my local Blockbuster store. I’ve been living off the bare minimum and have accumulated a £200 debt but it’s all been worth it. If I’d stayed in Woolworths, what would I have to show for it besides a discount card and a bit of spending money? From this film, I’ll have a finished piece that I can keep forever, show people, and be proud of. So many people want to do this kind of work and never will, so I couldn’t have turned down my chance. What better time to chase your dreams than when your young and have no responsibilities? I’ve followed my dreams and this is only the beginning.

So to all you people who would love to get involved with this kind of work, it is possible. It's going on everywhere, all the time. You just have to get yourself out there and find it. I now also have a book of contacts, which I'm sure we'll make it easier to find work in the future.

I’ll keep you posted on the film. We’re obviously hoping for a theatrical release but I think a straight to DVD is more likely. I also hear that if there’s no distribution deal, it’s almost defiantly going on the BBC. I hope for the best as the better it does, the better it is for me and all the others who have worked so hard.
Sat 18/09/04 at 18:01
Regular
I'm writing a film.

I've scripted the first 10 minutes and now I'm going back to do them as storyboards before moving to the next scene.
Sat 18/09/04 at 18:11
Regular
I'm also writing a film.

A trailer for a film to be exact.

A2 Media Project, Oh yes.

Anyway, thats really cool cDouch, sounds like you've been having a whale of a time.
Sat 18/09/04 at 18:39
Regular
Wow, that's really fantastic. I want to get into the film-making business, so it's great to hear that you don't have to be some rich-ass punk to live the dream! :0D
Sat 18/09/04 at 22:20
Regular
"SOUP!"
Good for you CDouch - live the dream, fight the power, nail the hookers - and so forth. Really though, well done - sounds like you've found the break you needed and quitting a crappy day job really paid off.

Oh and gamesfreak - so am I.
Sun 19/09/04 at 13:16
Regular
Your so lucky! I'd like to be a film critic so I'm looking into colleges which do media studies. I'm also going to take ICT and photography to make my resume more impressive. only 26 more weeks of sh!tty school....
Sun 19/09/04 at 13:19
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I do Performing Arts. Need an actor? Come to me...
Sun 19/09/04 at 13:46
Regular
I have a GCSE in Media Studies. And I'm studying it at A-Level. And I'll take something Film/Media-Related at Uni.
Sun 19/09/04 at 18:57
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
See, I knew there's a lot of people out there who want to do it.

Check out www.shootingpeople.org it's the perfect site for both crew and actors.

Last three days of filming coming up. They're doing it right now but the buses are crap on Sunday's and my Dad's away so I can't get there. Which is annoying but that's what I get for not having a driving licence. Starting at 7:30am tomorrow, should be some hectic three days. We've also got a child actor who are not the easiest to direct.
Sun 19/09/04 at 19:00
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> I'm writing a film.
>
> I've scripted the first 10 minutes and now I'm going back to do them
> as storyboards before moving to the next scene.

Yeah I've got my first feature scripted. It's only a first draft and needs some padding out as it only stands at 73 pages. The feedbacks been all good for it. It's not a film I want to make yet though. The first film I want to direct isstill in my head and slowly forming in bullet point form on paper.

Do you use Final Draft or are you a Word man?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.