GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP - Need stuff to work on"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/09/04 at 17:54
Regular
Hello.

As you may already know, I've been having a tinker with PHP recently, but to be honest, I'm getting no where in terms of making something that's actually useful, you know what I mean?

I've been through many tutorials which are just variations on "Hello World" or "Hello Earth!", "Hello Globe", "Hello Universe" - it's getting quite labourous, and most of the code seems exceptionally similar to C programming which I've been doing for quite some time now.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any "fun stuff" to do with the language, you know, like a small project or something to get my teeth into. A lot of you will state something to do with databases I'd imagine, but I want to stick to the bottom end of the spectrum for now, MySQL and everything can come later.

Thanks
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I've got loads of stuff you could do, just I don't want you to do it as I want to do my own stuff!

I'm completely remaking my site, again. I'm making the whole thing run off of (even more) MySQL and PHP so I've got a lot of work to do. Saying that, it shouldn't be too hard, adding a search ability may cause a few problems but the overall site isn't too complicated...

I found a good way to practise is to try and make random stuff. Have you tried to make a good blogger for your site yet, one with validation and allows comments to be made?

If you've done that, try a guestbook, try making a simple forum with usernames and passwords, there's loads of stuff you can practise with.

I really need to learn how to do stuff properly, so I decided this would be a good time to learn.
Sat 11/09/04 at 20:58
Regular
Aren't they all. Programming is easy once you know the syntax and semantics of a language; it's the design and alogrithms of the program itself that is the most time consuming.

Ahem. Anyway, yes it's basically what you do. hardest part I'd say is determining what character should be used for each pixel.
Sat 11/09/04 at 20:42
Regular
"NULL"
http://www.codewalkers.com - Great PHP challenges with damned good prizes!! Very hard though, not necessarily from a coding perspective, but just from logic.
Sat 11/09/04 at 19:55
Regular
Hmmm

On a guess, I'm thinking I'll have to calculate the color value of each pixel within the image, and associate a character with that value?

Just been playing around with the concept of using images, it looks pretty cool.
Sat 11/09/04 at 18:02
Regular
Here's a nice simple one which is still fun. Your first project will be to convert any standard image file into ASCII text.
Sat 11/09/04 at 17:54
Regular
Hello.

As you may already know, I've been having a tinker with PHP recently, but to be honest, I'm getting no where in terms of making something that's actually useful, you know what I mean?

I've been through many tutorials which are just variations on "Hello World" or "Hello Earth!", "Hello Globe", "Hello Universe" - it's getting quite labourous, and most of the code seems exceptionally similar to C programming which I've been doing for quite some time now.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any "fun stuff" to do with the language, you know, like a small project or something to get my teeth into. A lot of you will state something to do with databases I'd imagine, but I want to stick to the bottom end of the spectrum for now, MySQL and everything can come later.

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.