GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Manics Single"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/09/04 at 13:51
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Oh my word

I'm in shock, it's called 'The Love of Richard Nixon'. Which the title in itself is pretty poor.

Now imagine some sort of techno The Smiths... oh my it's poor. Not even I can like this.

Though, who knows? It might grow on me.

EDIT: I actually like it now. Everyone else won't. They've at least changed their sound, got to give them that.
Wed 08/09/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Come to think of it, I don't think it sounds like techno Smiths at all. Whatever the hell that would sound like.
Wed 08/09/04 at 12:52
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
mikelar wrote:
> I'm not even going to conintue this ridiculous debate anymore. It's
> been made completely redunent by the fact that the only people saying
> The Smiths mattered are the people who don't even like The
> Smiths/Morrissey! It's just laughable. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Okay, I both like The Smiths and think they mattered. Happy now?

And I'm not talking about influence on a few moddish retro bands championed by the NME, they've been a huge influence on tons of independant, alternative and punk bands over the last couple of decades - here, in the US and elsewhere.

They rocked, albeit gently.
Wed 08/09/04 at 12:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
mikelar wrote:
> The most laughable of your comments is the "most seminal and
> influencial band from that period" remark. I'm really thanking
> The Smiths for Franz Ferdinand and The Ordinary Boys. From the bottom
> of my heart.

Right. So because 2 of this month's flavour bands aren't, according to yourself, influenced by The Smiths - does that mean that they haven't had influence over christ knows how many bands?
You're telling me that The Smiths, regardless of whether you like them or not, have had zero effect on any bands since? Because, y'know, labelling somebody a simpleton whilst ignoring that fact seems a little...simpleton?

> What's even more stupid is that fact you don't even like them! It's
> like you came in here, bitter and twisted faced, ready for a needless
> rant on how your opionion differs from somebody else, so they must be
> wrong.

Ok read slowly now Maconie - I came in here to read about The Manics, as Sheepy is a huge fan. You made a comment about The Smiths being
"80's cheap sounding trash nobody gave a damn about until NME decided they were cool again." - I've pointed out they aren't a band nobody gave a damn about until NME started hyping them again. A whole mess of people have been massive fans since the 80's.
Whether I like them or not, they are one of those bands that may not be to my taste but I cannot deny they have talent to burn and are a major influence on an awful lot of todays bands - maybe not your favs, but certainly a massive part of musical history.
Certain bands I don't like and can't see the appeal of, wheras The Smiths are a band I've never really been into but I have to grudgingly admit they had something special.

Here's the 1st thing I found on google that discusses the amount of respect and impact they had on today's bands, only a minute fraction of those too.
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3005033.stm[/URL]

It's lazy to call them "cheap sounding trash nobody gave a damn about until NME decided they were cool again" - godknowshowmany people the world over constantly acknowledge just how influencial that band were/are.

-----insert witty reply here------
Wed 08/09/04 at 12:13
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Fair enough. Though you might want to control your temper too; having a pop at anyone who disagrees with your opinion? My dear boy, that leaves you open to exactly this brand of patronisation. And the repetition of an already used piece of condescention? Just makes you look unimaginative and kinda petty to boot. Oh, and if you're gonna disengage from a debate, call it pointless beforehand. Do you see?
Wed 08/09/04 at 12:02
Regular
"Selected"
whoops, wrong write.
Wed 08/09/04 at 12:00
Regular
"Selected"
I'm not even going to conintue this ridiculous debate anymore. It's been made completely redunent by the fact that the only people saying The Smiths mattered are the people who don't even like The Smiths/Morrissey! It's just laughable. It makes no sense whatsoever.

And Light, do yourself a favour, read the posts back. I never said The Smiths weren't influential. I said the bands they influenced are rubbish. I also said The Smiths are rubbish. Nothing about them not being influential. So maybe try reading what we're actually debating before trying to think up witty replies.

"You might want to right that down"
Wed 08/09/04 at 10:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I don't care how influential Morrisey is, I still think he's crap.
Wed 08/09/04 at 10:03
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Meheheheh. Wow, mikelar doesn't like being criticised huh?

Speaking personally, the point I was driving at was that, although I don't think overly much of Morrissey, trying to deny the influence of The Smiths on the music scene is rather like trying to deny the existence of gravity. Not liking him is fine; that's what we call an opinion. When 2 or more people share an opinion, it can be one of two things; an agreement, or (if you're feeling embarrassed at having your own ignorance commented on) a rectal-cranial interface.

You might want to write that down.
Tue 07/09/04 at 23:04
Regular
A little off-topic...I know the former Manics tour manager, who went on to be Muse's tour manager and is now the Thrills' tour manager.

:c) Great stuff, since he's good mates with Muse still, and they're my favourite band.
Tue 07/09/04 at 22:36
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Go mikelar

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.