GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"manually removing spyware: any suggestions?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/09/04 at 21:52
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Right my computer has been badly affected by Spy ware and Ive tried alot of the free SPyware remover programmes however none of them have succesfully removed it.

I think I might have more luck if I manually go in to the msconfig and regedit programmes and try to delete it from there. i dont have a clue what to look for or how to do it though and I was wonderng if anyone knows any sites with good advice or who have any personal help they could give me...
Tue 07/09/04 at 18:00
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Odd, tried removing the partition and recreating it, I've never come across anything that can't be removed via a simple format.
Tue 07/09/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Bicycle"
I have a similiar thing, some spyware that wont go away even after a reformat...

Just doesnt let me open certain programs...
Mon 06/09/04 at 20:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Pringle28 wrote:
> Afternoon wrote:
> :S Formatting will erase everything, so before doing anything like
> that backup anything important, for me its the only way to clear
> anything I don't want although system file checker is handy for xp.
>
> Right re-installed windows XP and im still getting pop ups!! looks
> like il never be able to completely cure my PC.

What do the pop-ups look like? If they are grey boxes with an ok button you have to disable windows messenger to get rid of them. To do that go to start > Control Panel > Administritive tools > Services then right click on messenger and choose properties. Then stop the program from running by clicking stop and in the drop down menu change it from automatic to disabled.
Mon 06/09/04 at 19:24
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Afternoon wrote:
> :S Formatting will erase everything, so before doing anything like
> that backup anything important, for me its the only way to clear
> anything I don't want although system file checker is handy for xp.

Right re-installed windows XP and im still getting pop ups!! looks like il never be able to completely cure my PC.
Mon 06/09/04 at 18:48
Regular
"Freeola Support"
:S Formatting will erase everything, so before doing anything like that backup anything important, for me its the only way to clear anything I don't want although system file checker is handy for xp.
Mon 06/09/04 at 18:39
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Afternoon wrote:
> Its much to difficult to remove most spyware, if you get infested I
> recommend a format and reinstall of windows as if a bit of spyware
> has been installed how do you know if something like a keylogger
> hasn't been installed.

Thats helpful. Will all my files be safe when im reloading windows on? will I also have to reinstall alot of software?
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:17
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Its much to difficult to remove most spyware, if you get infested I recommend a format and reinstall of windows as if a bit of spyware has been installed how do you know if something like a keylogger hasn't been installed.
Mon 06/09/04 at 16:08
Regular
"you've got a beard"
use "search" for the .exe file that's being a pain and delete it.
in the registry, look in:
HKEY_local_machine ->
software -> microsoft -> windows -> current version ->
and look in the run/run once folders, see if there's anything dodgy being told to run in there.. if so delete the entry, but be careful when playing with the registry.
Sun 05/09/04 at 22:00
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Azul wrote:
> It might just be because the process is running while the programs are
> trying to remove it.
>
> If you're on WinXP, open the task manager and look for any dodgy
> processes that are being run under your user name, and end them. Then
> try it.

Cheers Azul, that has helped me identify some of the programmes that are causing this, but how do i remove them altogether?
Sun 05/09/04 at 21:55
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
It might just be because the process is running while the programs are trying to remove it.

If you're on WinXP, open the task manager and look for any dodgy processes that are being run under your user name, and end them. Then try it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.