GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The aliens die from the common cold."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/09/04 at 12:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
There, now you know what stops the aliens in the soon-to-be travesty of the War of the worlds film, so you don't have to watch it.

Seriously, the original (film) was a fantastic piece of work. Considering when it was made, the special effects were outstanding, and the aliens genuinely scary. Now Senor Spielbergo is making a trilogy out of it, and he's promised not to destroy any 'sensitive' landmarks!?!?! Forget about moving the location from London in the books to other places - that's a good idea for a film conversion, because there are better things to blow up. But he's basically splitting Independence Day into three films: aliens invade and fail; we study their technology; we strike back! And with Spielbergo at the helm, we can't possibly lose a war against a master race of aliens (or should I say "Nazis"), with their space travel and advanced technology - it wouldn't be PC! Next Summer, the Human spirit WILL find a way.

Go and buy the original film to see how brilliant it is. I'm sure it's only about a fiver from Play, or Amazon. You won't regret it.
Wed 08/09/04 at 18:22
Regular
That is rather scary.

I just hope they don't completely ruin the story...it's bad enough that some director did so in the 50s...
Wed 08/09/04 at 00:30
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Who is he going to play? The journalist, the parson Nathaniel, or is
> he going to play 'celeb extra 173 who gets stomped on by a martion
> scout machine's leg'?

It's a project between cruise and speilburg.
Tue 07/09/04 at 21:33
Regular
Who is he going to play? The journalist, the parson Nathaniel, or is he going to play 'celeb extra 173 who gets stomped on by a martion scout machine's leg'?
Tue 07/09/04 at 21:13
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
I'm so worried about Spielberg's direction, but Tom Cruise is gonna be in it. That doesn't work.
Mon 06/09/04 at 22:59
Regular
Seriously, you thought the film The War of the Worlds was great?

The special effects at the time, maybe. But it was turned into a patriotic 'America am Teh Win' movie of the 50s.

Women were screaming and going mad over things which just weren't even mildly scary, whilst men were acting all strong - except for the riot.

The story was set in the 50s, whereas it was actually set "In the last years of the 19th Century" or 1898 as Jeff Wayne interpreted it.

The cylinder was too small.

There were no fighting machines.

There were no handling machines.

There were no scout machines.

There were no flying machines in the book.

Where was the part where he was trapped in the house with the parson?

Atleast the martian looked a little like it was supposed to.

I can find many many faults with the movie. Which sucked greatly - even if the special effects were pretty good for the time.

If Spielberg set the movie in the UK and based it as to the book as he could, then it would be one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. If he Americanises it and turns it into another patriotic story, then he's lost the plot of The War of the Worlds, just like the first movie had.
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:43
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
monkey_man wrote:
Now Senor Spielbergo is making a
> trilogy out of it, and he's promised not to destroy any 'sensitive'
> landmarks!?!?!

I thought the whole point of disaster / invasion type films was getting to see humanity's pride and joy get destroyed...

Then you can have inspiring speeches about rebuilding things at the end.
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:18
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ha, brilliant!
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:14
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The revised plot-

Segal has an alien penpal and when he doesn't get a reply from it, he realises that the alien is on its way to invade the Earth with others of its kind. The Aliens arrive and start blowing everything up but our effort to fight back is dealt a blow as liberals have given exchanged all of our weapons with another Alien species for some poems. Segal saves us all, dies and we all avow never to make the mistake of ever not having weapons so every person on the earth builds their own doomsday device.

The other Alien species arrive (perhaps thinking that we have no weapons) but are obliterated when everyone detonated their devices. Everything is gone but the Aliens survive.

THEN WE SEE AN ALIEN CHILD walk to Segals' grave (his COFFIN is made of his flayed skin and is indestructable) and places a letter on it. The letter says

"Dear Earthman,

thank you for your kind words. We love you and are peaceful, we have no weapons and isn't it ironic that the Aliens who led you to destroy your planet are the ones with the weapons you gave them and not us. I came to give you this letter myself, that's why it took so long for the letter to arrive.

What a mistunderstanding!

Love,

Vreeeeeee sxxxxxxxxxllllllllll

p.s I told my dad that you wanted pictures of my snootle, he says that you are lukcy to be dead."
Mon 06/09/04 at 16:19
Regular
Goatboy has peeked into Spielberg's secret safe!
Mon 06/09/04 at 16:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> I trust Spielberg. It's good source material, he's a great director,
> I see no reason why he'd mess it up.
--------

There will be a childlike adult who yearns for an absent father-figure, to be represented by either a kindly authority figure or a sense of wonder at bright godlights through windows.

There will be a kid who needs rescuing and is grateful to the heroic (absent) father-figure hero.

There will be mysterious happenings, ignored by adults and recognised by cute children who laugh in wonder and happiness.

There will be tightass authority figures who refuse to accept what the kindly authority figure signposts 30 mins in advance.

There will be an unseen menacing threat to several kids, represented by blinding lights and sounds, which will dissipate when kindly authority figure appears in the nick of time.

The aliens will be defeated by love and understanding, lots of godlights and the beaming faces of wonderous moppet kids.

Tom Cruise will cry in happiness and understanding towards the end, when he stands and faces the departing spaceships with his arm around his adopted ethnic child-hero that he rescued at great personal peril.

There will be lunchbox/dolls/videogame/book tie-ins.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.