GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"manga"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/09/04 at 20:23
Regular
"screw this"
manga is the best

end of story
Thu 09/09/04 at 14:48
Regular
Dictionary.com

"Manga"
Definition: Japanese comic books with a graphical style and way of storytelling distinct from American and other comic books

just call japanese animation 'anime' and japanese comics 'manga'. And no you really wouldnt consider US made animations and comics done in a similar style as anime or manga, but that's a different argument.
Wed 08/09/04 at 00:55
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I've been in stores that sell Anime/Manga DVDs, and it seems that (for Now) Anime has covered 1 and a half shelves.

I think that Manga is as good as Anime!
Tue 07/09/04 at 13:03
Regular
Bejam wrote:
> poke wrote:
> Give it another year or two and people will stop referring to the
> animation as manga.
>
> I've been kind of thinking that for the last few years now. But, we
> live in hope...

lol yeah I know what you mean, it's taking it's time but we're getting there ;)

I just want people to think of anime other than GitS and Akira, it's as if they've only seen Manga Entertainment releases despite for many years now ADV have been doing animes. Heck even Porject A-ko would be nice as it's a bit closer to what the majority of anime is like. Think it was their only comedy release. :S
Tue 07/09/04 at 10:18
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
poke wrote:
> Give it another year or two and people will stop referring to the
> animation as manga.

I've been kind of thinking that for the last few years now. But, we live in hope...
Mon 06/09/04 at 16:38
Regular
only in the UK do some/they incorrectly refer to it all as 'manga'. In Japan the word means, 'comics' (all types not just Japanese) the word 'anime' in Japan means animation (all types not just Japanese), taken from the French word.

Most companies call it anime, except places like Virgin/MVC/HMV some of those lot still have their anime sections entitled "Manga" despite only a small fraction of those in the section from Manga Entertainments, the rest from companies like ADVFilms and MVM who release far more animes.

One time I noticed someone had stuck a sticky label over the section title renaming it correctly as 'anime'.

Give it another year or two and people will stop referring to the animation as manga. Manga (comics) are actually very popular in the states where they're released as much as anime. Infact you'll find that the top 100 chart for graphic novels sold in the States almost all are manga titles. Unfortunately the manga industry in the UK is parctically nonexistant thanks to many reasons. One being the illegal export of the US versions that broke their original contracts with the Japanese companyies. So yeah it's pretty screwed up so it'll be some time before you go into WHSmith and see a few hundred titles of manga.
Mon 06/09/04 at 16:24
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Dakarus Joe wrote:
> poke wrote:
> manga is Japanese comics
> anime is Japanese animation
>
> Actually manga is a style of Japanise visuals.

it's not mate. i'm pretty sure it's just that the particular style has become synonymous with the Manga company that puts out that style of comic book.
Mon 06/09/04 at 15:18
Regular
"313>>>ukchatforums"
Best Manga film is Street Fighter II The animated movie. See it now!
Sun 05/09/04 at 17:58
Regular
Gundam Seed best Gundam series EVER at the moment anyway.
Sun 05/09/04 at 17:54
Regular
Dakarus Joe wrote:
> Actually manga is a style of Japanise visuals.

I'd have to disagree seeing as all comics whether Spider-Man or 2000 AD are referred to as manga in Japan. Though in the west it's used to describe just those from Japan. Similar with anime.
Sun 05/09/04 at 17:44
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Oh and Ranma 1/2

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.