GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Open Water"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/09/04 at 13:04
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Nobody has mentioned this from what I can see, just wondering what people expect of it?

Seeing as being stuck in the open sea like that is one of everyone's greatest fears, I can see it being pretty scary, plus the way it's filmed will just add to the fear...

OK, I've just read some reviews on it after writing that paragraph, looks as if everyone had that sort of idea! It appears to be very slow and annoying, and no where near as good as it's supposed to be...

[URL]http://www.cdnn.info/article/open_water/open_water.html[/URL]

That's what happened with the real thing, so it's a pretty predictable story, and from what I've read it appears that there are some rather stupid parts to it...
Sat 11/09/04 at 21:54
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
monkey_man wrote:
> They
> probably got tired and drowned from exhaustion after a day or so, but
> that doesn't translate very well to film now, does it?

Which is exactly what happened, well, what they say...

Ironic as it may seem, they say that they would have been hit with dehydration very quickly seeing as it was an amzingly hot day and they had no cover. They found her wetsuit washed up in one piece, meaning that she had taken it off herself. This would have been the first thing that they would have done if they were suffering from dehydration, the confusion would have made them take all clothes off, most probably their lifejackets too. They would have drowned as they would not have been able to tread water for very long.

There's other crap about how sharks wouldn't have eaten them etc etc, but I can't be arsed to go into that.
Sat 11/09/04 at 18:45
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
One word that describes this film: Meh.
Sat 11/09/04 at 17:11
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I thought the first 15 minutes were abolsutely terrible. Then it was alright I suppose.
Sat 11/09/04 at 16:17
Regular
Well, you've got more upthrust on the back of your body than on your front due to the air tank, so it'll make no difference.
Sat 11/09/04 at 14:48
"Darkness, always"
Yes, but the afforementioned bouyant equipment does alter such theories...
Sat 11/09/04 at 14:41
Regular
That kind of event would usually end in death by dehydration, although, if they tried to swim somehwere and get exhausted, chances are, if they fell asleep, the male would flip over and float face underwater (some weird thing that makes men float face down, and woman face up, I think maybe breasts act as flotation devices or something (:S)) and then they'd drown, but meh, I dunno.
Maybe Jaws ate them.
Sat 11/09/04 at 10:20
"Darkness, always"
monkey_man wrote:
> I object to this film because it's real people in a made up setting.
> They don't know what actually happened to the people, but their best
> guess is that they were involved in lots of suspenseful moments
> involving string arrangements and fear-invoking animals. They

Fool. The film isn't a true story, and doesn't claim to be. It's inspired by real events using fictional characters in a modern day setting (the events upon which it is based happened in the 70's and again in the early 90's, film is based pretty much modern day, and the equipment they wear shows this).

Plus they don't use much in the way of strings for suspense, either. The real live sharks swimming around do that.

As for drowning of exhaustion? Are you stupid? In a wetsuit? With a BCD and in salt water, with an almost empty aluminium air canister on your back? Have you ever [I]tried[I] to stay underwater with that kind of gear on? It's impossible! Especially if you get rid of your weights. The only chance of drowning comes from stripping naked (in the cold water, not the first thing on one's agenda) and going for a swim.

So get off your amusing little pedestal, and either watch it, or admit you don't want to watch because a) you're scared or b) you have some objection to films with budgets smaller than $20million.

Sheesh
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:13
Regular
"Better Than You"
monkey_man wrote:
> I object to this film because it's real people in a made up setting.
> They don't know what actually happened to the people, but their best
> guess is that they were involved in lots of suspenseful moments
> involving string arrangements and fear-invoking animals. They

Same as The Perfect Storm really then.
Sun 05/09/04 at 20:44
Regular
"Not a Jew"
monkey_man wrote:
> Yeah, 'cos all those war films...y'know...

Good point but I stand by my statement.
Sun 05/09/04 at 14:03
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The Hibernator wrote:
>
> Castaway rocked!
>
> You're joking....right?

Why, no... no I am not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.