GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dual Layer DVD Writer Advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/09/04 at 09:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
One online store I buy from has a shipping offer this week and as I need some blank DVDs I also want a new Dual layer drive considering how cheap the drives actually are. The two models I am interesed in are the NEC 3500, and the Pioneer 108. Now the NEC is £50 and the Pioneer £60. So I was wondering if any one has any comments on either of them? I think that with the NEC it didnt recognise a certain make of DL(Dual Layer) disc, but I think that was with the old 2500 not the 3500.

The difference in performance is nothing as the 3500 and 108 are the same speeds for everything, apart from the 3500 does 48x CD and the 108 does 32x. I have been burning at 16x with my current Sony drive as the discs being burnt at 24x which is the max on the Sony were being corrupted. So to be honest CD speed is not important as a nice reliable drive that works with all the media etc.
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ah! I don't watch 90 minute films! That'll be why then.

(For reference, 90 minutes == hollywood action trash)
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Thats because the film may not be right on the beginning of the layer. If you take a DVD and put it in DVD Shrink you can see that a film that is about 90-100 mins can be put onto a SL disc with out any compression. When I first got my DVD writer I tried out my copy of The Fast And The Furious and could fit that onto a SL disc without compression, well just the film and the 5.1 sound track. If the film is 2 hours long then you wouldnt be able to. If you look at DVDRs available on the Internet you see alot of them use Untouched video and rip out as much as possible with sound and extras.

DL will allow you to keep all the extras, menus etc, plus longer films like Lord Of The Rings wont need compressing.
Sun 05/09/04 at 22:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hm I've noticed nearly all the movies I watch pass through the second layer (because my DVD player is trash), so I dunno about the SL movie thing really.
Sun 05/09/04 at 20:57
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well I would say Blu Ray is the future really :D Especially with 50Gb discs. But DL is the near future thing as with SL you can get untouched DVD videos, but most of the time you need to rip most of the extra content and sound tracks. DL will mine no more ripping of extras, sound tracks etc.

Anyway ordered the 108.
Sun 05/09/04 at 00:24
"I love yo... lamp."
DL is definitely the future. Because I need to upgrade to one, I think it counts as a valid excuse to build a new PC.
Sun 05/09/04 at 00:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nah DL is the future, SL really doesn't have any uses apart from storage. Full length, full quality films will only fit on DL discs.
Sat 04/09/04 at 23:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well I want to get DL as the Sony I have now is well over a year old and can only do 4x -R and 2.4x +R. The Pioneer that I will get after looking here [URL]http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=96[/URL] does 16x +R and -R as well as 4x DL. 4x DL is not that slow. I am use to having to wait 30 mins for some DVDs to burn on my current drive so a DL disc at 4x is something like 25 mins.

DL discs are coming down in price anyway. The writers now are damn cheap. Remember last year when I built my PC that the Sony I have was just under £170, and that was just the OEM version. Now you get DL burners for just over £40, with the top speed drives like the Pioneer 108 for under £60.
Sat 04/09/04 at 23:45
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Plextors are the fastest, but the most expensive too. Dont get NEC, its slow, but you dont really need dl cos it really expesive and really slow, id get a nice fast single layer burner and what until thing inprove on the dl front
Sat 04/09/04 at 23:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well its this one [URL]http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/cdanddvdreaderswriters/dvdwriters/productView.htm?quicklinx=39NG[/URL] or [URL]http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/cdanddvdreaderswriters/dvdwriters/productView.htm?quicklinx=39ty[/URL] . Wont be getting them from Dabs, but they have all the information etc.
Sat 04/09/04 at 18:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I've just ordered an LG GSA-4120B Dual Layer 12x DVD±RW ReWriter:

- DVD+R 4x, 2.4x (Dual Layer) Burn Speed
- DVD+RW 4x, 2.4x (Dual Layer) Burn Speed
- 12X DVD+R Burn Speed
- 8x DVD-R Burn Speed
- 4x DVD+RW/DVD-RW Burn Speed
- 48X CD-ROM Read Speed
- 48X CD-R Burn Speed
- 24X CD-RW Burn Speed
- 2MB Buffer
- 160ms Access Time

Retail set from Dabs for £60-ish

Love LG, never had a problem with them. They do 16x Dual Layer too starting at about £70

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.