GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Drunk Phillosophy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/09/04 at 01:25
Regular
"SOUP!"
Forword: this is what happens when a drunk 17 year old tries to phillosophise at 1am

Caution: May contain poor spelling and grammar - im afraid the keyboard is a white blur on a brown blur, which I think is a desk.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok so im drunk and my grammar and spelling are poor but I think it sometimes takes a certain amount of substance to let your real feelings flow - so im writing this in the hope I can read it tomorrow and perhaps have a glimpse at the real drunked me - also feel free to comment or throw abuse at the drunky, meh.

First of all - I dont know if anyone of you have read hte papers lately but some 17 year old girl is marrying her best friends father who is 64 - is anyone else totally repulsed by this - not the fact that theres a 40something year ago gap (I cant do maths drunk) but the fact a bloke would marry (and start a family with) a girl the same age as his daughter. How could a girl ditch her friend for her best mates dad? Its awful. Im going through a similar thing at the moment - a mate of ours has ditched his friends for a girl - a girl he isnt ever "going out" with, just a girl he is "friends" with - wee've all been friends like 6 years and always stuck together and now he's gone gallavanting with some trollop - again on a smaller scale, it is absolutely wrong.

Ok next up is my mind battle between literature and art. They say "a picture can paint 1000 words" - fair enough, I suppose it can. But give me 1000 words and i am sure I can paint a pretty intricate picture with them. You see, anyone can pick up a paintbrush and paint a picture - pictures came before words didnt they? so therefore painting is more primative than literature - and in turn literature is more advanced and thus more expressive than pictures? However a picture shows one thing one way (unless its modern art, which to me is all bo***ks) - but literature can be interpreted in millions of different personal ways which surely makes it more appealing. A film is like a picture, it is one persons take on literature which can often be only interpreted one way - its like literature for the stupid - thus sadly literarute is dying, it's breathing it's laboured last breaths and thriving on the few gulps of air that Tolkien, Orwell and recently Dahl and recently Rowling have poured into it - but even then recent attemps have been squandered by film takes of the books. FILMS KILL THE IMAGINATION - if this carries on we will lose what makes us human, what makes us different from other mamals - our ability to imagine and dream. If we are force fed the pill that tells us what to think then humanity will collapse - and it's happening. It makes me kind of sad seeing as how i want a future as a writer and the audience is shrinking so raipdly and being lost to a post traumatic digital channel-hopping era of stupid obese cretins who have to be told what they should watch. A nation of Rooneys and Wayne and Waynetta Slobs of Harry Enfield fame, if you will.

Again I have become a more bitter hate filled person. I've watched a person who I used to love and care about throw away their life and future to conform to give the impression they are happy when in reality they arent. A person I spent so many hours trying to help, trying to convince them they deserved better and then the minute I turned my back watching them collapse into depressing conformity to embark on a life on unhappiness. It makes me wonder how many people do this- how many people settle for a life of security rather than one that offers what they think they deserve. It's sad - I hope I dont settle for second best in life - I mean, when people are young they are always ambitious but it seems that somewhere between youth and middle age peoples spirits are crushed and the fear of dying alone kicks in. I dont feat death, I fear being forgotten. If I was to die tomorrow the thought that would haunt me the mouth (if I could feel concious thoughts) would be the worry that nobody would remember me. that I would just be some guy who wrote some crappy stories, had a small group of friends, visited the Old Kings Arms on a friday and didnt really acheive anthing much. I want to mean something so someone - it seems like an attention craving ploy but I really do. I dont think anyone is truly significant until they would be missed when they die.

Lately I am seeing human kind as a carbon copy of a copy that is slowly fading generation by generation - I suppose after a species has been around after so many years it's hard to achieve originality but its sad to see this generic protocol engaged by so many. Religion seems somehow unfitting nowadays - crime and neglegence are too rife for any sort of truce to be brought about between the "goodies" and "baddies" in this film - though perhaps thats because I'm seeing it as a film, as one persons interpretation - if it was literature it would be a whole different matter.

Good night.
Fri 03/09/04 at 01:25
Regular
"SOUP!"
Forword: this is what happens when a drunk 17 year old tries to phillosophise at 1am

Caution: May contain poor spelling and grammar - im afraid the keyboard is a white blur on a brown blur, which I think is a desk.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok so im drunk and my grammar and spelling are poor but I think it sometimes takes a certain amount of substance to let your real feelings flow - so im writing this in the hope I can read it tomorrow and perhaps have a glimpse at the real drunked me - also feel free to comment or throw abuse at the drunky, meh.

First of all - I dont know if anyone of you have read hte papers lately but some 17 year old girl is marrying her best friends father who is 64 - is anyone else totally repulsed by this - not the fact that theres a 40something year ago gap (I cant do maths drunk) but the fact a bloke would marry (and start a family with) a girl the same age as his daughter. How could a girl ditch her friend for her best mates dad? Its awful. Im going through a similar thing at the moment - a mate of ours has ditched his friends for a girl - a girl he isnt ever "going out" with, just a girl he is "friends" with - wee've all been friends like 6 years and always stuck together and now he's gone gallavanting with some trollop - again on a smaller scale, it is absolutely wrong.

Ok next up is my mind battle between literature and art. They say "a picture can paint 1000 words" - fair enough, I suppose it can. But give me 1000 words and i am sure I can paint a pretty intricate picture with them. You see, anyone can pick up a paintbrush and paint a picture - pictures came before words didnt they? so therefore painting is more primative than literature - and in turn literature is more advanced and thus more expressive than pictures? However a picture shows one thing one way (unless its modern art, which to me is all bo***ks) - but literature can be interpreted in millions of different personal ways which surely makes it more appealing. A film is like a picture, it is one persons take on literature which can often be only interpreted one way - its like literature for the stupid - thus sadly literarute is dying, it's breathing it's laboured last breaths and thriving on the few gulps of air that Tolkien, Orwell and recently Dahl and recently Rowling have poured into it - but even then recent attemps have been squandered by film takes of the books. FILMS KILL THE IMAGINATION - if this carries on we will lose what makes us human, what makes us different from other mamals - our ability to imagine and dream. If we are force fed the pill that tells us what to think then humanity will collapse - and it's happening. It makes me kind of sad seeing as how i want a future as a writer and the audience is shrinking so raipdly and being lost to a post traumatic digital channel-hopping era of stupid obese cretins who have to be told what they should watch. A nation of Rooneys and Wayne and Waynetta Slobs of Harry Enfield fame, if you will.

Again I have become a more bitter hate filled person. I've watched a person who I used to love and care about throw away their life and future to conform to give the impression they are happy when in reality they arent. A person I spent so many hours trying to help, trying to convince them they deserved better and then the minute I turned my back watching them collapse into depressing conformity to embark on a life on unhappiness. It makes me wonder how many people do this- how many people settle for a life of security rather than one that offers what they think they deserve. It's sad - I hope I dont settle for second best in life - I mean, when people are young they are always ambitious but it seems that somewhere between youth and middle age peoples spirits are crushed and the fear of dying alone kicks in. I dont feat death, I fear being forgotten. If I was to die tomorrow the thought that would haunt me the mouth (if I could feel concious thoughts) would be the worry that nobody would remember me. that I would just be some guy who wrote some crappy stories, had a small group of friends, visited the Old Kings Arms on a friday and didnt really acheive anthing much. I want to mean something so someone - it seems like an attention craving ploy but I really do. I dont think anyone is truly significant until they would be missed when they die.

Lately I am seeing human kind as a carbon copy of a copy that is slowly fading generation by generation - I suppose after a species has been around after so many years it's hard to achieve originality but its sad to see this generic protocol engaged by so many. Religion seems somehow unfitting nowadays - crime and neglegence are too rife for any sort of truce to be brought about between the "goodies" and "baddies" in this film - though perhaps thats because I'm seeing it as a film, as one persons interpretation - if it was literature it would be a whole different matter.

Good night.
Fri 03/09/04 at 01:56
Regular
There's no doubt that the popularity of literature has declined in recent times. And it would sadden me to believe that the only writers any literature virgins know of or can use as a benchmark are Tolkien, Rowling, Dahl and Orwell. Not to say they are bad writers, far from it, but there is a writer to suit anyones tastes, writers with far better skills at touching and manipulating our imaginations.

It often seems we live in a country of knuckledraggers. I wince at any mention of such crap as big brother, Jerry Springer, Trisha, or pretty much any badly researched pointless endevours the british tabloids can serve up. I was actually gob-smacked today to see a programme on channel 4 had Rebecca Loos as the presenter! Rebecca Loos, famous for nothing other than alledgedly playing hide the sausage with some dim witted overpaid footballer. Has our society become so soulless that our only enjoyment is the pain and suffering of those who earn or own more than us? We must glorify those who for one reason or another, have five minutes in the lime-light for some none-descript reason, regardless of how talentless, or how shameless they are.

It would appear so, but I just think that the people who lap this stuff up, that sit open-mouthed in front of a tv screen watching a group of mentally and sexually deranged people throw themselves all over a house, fuelled by beer provided by those who realise that unbelievably there is a demand for such a spectacle, are in the majority. Unfortunately, those with real talent and appreciation for real talent, are not given a platform, or if they are, not nearly often enough.

Superficiality reigns supreme - it doesn't seem to matter how talentless and stupid you are, if you can do an amusing trick you can be famous for a while. The whole country will love you without even knowing why - but before you can get used to it, they will shoot you down and destroy your fledgling career, already slapping their fins at the next big thing.

So things like literature, poetry, art and the like, take a back seat. The nearest thing we have is music, which while still incredibly popular, is also tarnished with vatloads of talentless mass produced crap, which once again is lapped up by the uncultured masses, who care not about talent, only about indulging their microscopic attention spans.

They say ignorance is bliss - the majority of this country must be in ecstacy.
Fri 03/09/04 at 02:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:

> They say ignorance is bliss - the majority of this country must be in
> ecstacy.

Thank you so much for that perfectly sculpted line.
Fri 03/09/04 at 02:47
Regular
"Selected"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> It often seems we live in a country of knuckledraggers. I wince at
> any mention of such crap as big brother, Jerry Springer, Trisha, or
> pretty much any badly researched pointless endevours the british
> tabloids can serve up.

Ultimately though, do you really have a problem with these people? I agree that they're most probably idiots who have nothing better to do than watch TV, but then so what? So they're not reading books, going to art exhibitions or discussing the latest political issue - does it really matter?

I'm a firm believer in doing whatever it is that makes you happy in life. If reading makes you happy, do that. If running a marathon makes you happy, do that. If watching two gibbons have a knife fight atop a zepplin makes you smile, then do it. As long as it's not actually affecting somebody else, what does it matter? The human race isn't any worse off for it. At the end of the day, it's not like we're all actually trying to get somewhere in life, only being held back by people who watch Trisha. We're not trying to acheive anything really, as a species. We're just here.

Why should you care if somebody would rather see a film than read a book? You can't exactly say "wait, you're wrong for seeing this film, read this instead" because that's not what they want, that's what you want. Since there's nothing stopping you from getting what you want, there really is no problem.

I don't know....I find it hard to type sometimes. Kinda frustrating but I think it's clear. I hope.
Fri 03/09/04 at 02:52
Regular
A lot of that is true, but seeing as these people represent the majority of the population, they also represent the majority of the voters. Major decisions that affect us all are being decided by Wayne and Waynetta Slob.

Our society is also greatly shaped by the desires of the masses - you really think the tabloid media would be so powerful if idiots didn't buy the papers? And this is something very serious when you consider the war in Iraq - these idiots will believe whatever the papers tell them, so when the papers say 'Iraq must die!' (exaggeration) or something similar, the fin-slapping is almost deafening. And off we go to war. It's only afterwards that the intelligent questions are asked.
Fri 03/09/04 at 02:55
Regular
Adolf Hitler said it best :

"How fortunate for leaders that the masses do not think"
Fri 03/09/04 at 03:06
Regular
"Selected"
I agree.

Arguing the idiots corner is stupid anyway.

Just stirring debate I guess.

It's too late.
Fri 03/09/04 at 03:08
Regular
"Selected"
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:
> Adolf Hitler said it best

I think when somebody starts quoting ole Adolf, y'know it's time for bed.
Sun 05/09/04 at 01:52
Regular
"SOUP!"
MUH

I like reeading what I wrote inebriated.

It's reassuring.
Sun 05/09/04 at 08:47
Regular
"Laughingstock"
How do you know literature is dying? Just how many novels do Amazon sell every year, every day... thousands, probably hundreds of thousands.
I know that (like films) the hyped-up mass market stuff rises to the top of the charts, but that's just the way it is. The best stuff always lurks below the surface.
I'm currently reading through Nabokov's novels - this fact doesn't register anywhere, but I am buying and I am loving them.

As for the codger and the totty - I can't say I blame him.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.