GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Drunk Phillosophy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/09/04 at 01:25
Regular
"SOUP!"
Forword: this is what happens when a drunk 17 year old tries to phillosophise at 1am

Caution: May contain poor spelling and grammar - im afraid the keyboard is a white blur on a brown blur, which I think is a desk.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok so im drunk and my grammar and spelling are poor but I think it sometimes takes a certain amount of substance to let your real feelings flow - so im writing this in the hope I can read it tomorrow and perhaps have a glimpse at the real drunked me - also feel free to comment or throw abuse at the drunky, meh.

First of all - I dont know if anyone of you have read hte papers lately but some 17 year old girl is marrying her best friends father who is 64 - is anyone else totally repulsed by this - not the fact that theres a 40something year ago gap (I cant do maths drunk) but the fact a bloke would marry (and start a family with) a girl the same age as his daughter. How could a girl ditch her friend for her best mates dad? Its awful. Im going through a similar thing at the moment - a mate of ours has ditched his friends for a girl - a girl he isnt ever "going out" with, just a girl he is "friends" with - wee've all been friends like 6 years and always stuck together and now he's gone gallavanting with some trollop - again on a smaller scale, it is absolutely wrong.

Ok next up is my mind battle between literature and art. They say "a picture can paint 1000 words" - fair enough, I suppose it can. But give me 1000 words and i am sure I can paint a pretty intricate picture with them. You see, anyone can pick up a paintbrush and paint a picture - pictures came before words didnt they? so therefore painting is more primative than literature - and in turn literature is more advanced and thus more expressive than pictures? However a picture shows one thing one way (unless its modern art, which to me is all bo***ks) - but literature can be interpreted in millions of different personal ways which surely makes it more appealing. A film is like a picture, it is one persons take on literature which can often be only interpreted one way - its like literature for the stupid - thus sadly literarute is dying, it's breathing it's laboured last breaths and thriving on the few gulps of air that Tolkien, Orwell and recently Dahl and recently Rowling have poured into it - but even then recent attemps have been squandered by film takes of the books. FILMS KILL THE IMAGINATION - if this carries on we will lose what makes us human, what makes us different from other mamals - our ability to imagine and dream. If we are force fed the pill that tells us what to think then humanity will collapse - and it's happening. It makes me kind of sad seeing as how i want a future as a writer and the audience is shrinking so raipdly and being lost to a post traumatic digital channel-hopping era of stupid obese cretins who have to be told what they should watch. A nation of Rooneys and Wayne and Waynetta Slobs of Harry Enfield fame, if you will.

Again I have become a more bitter hate filled person. I've watched a person who I used to love and care about throw away their life and future to conform to give the impression they are happy when in reality they arent. A person I spent so many hours trying to help, trying to convince them they deserved better and then the minute I turned my back watching them collapse into depressing conformity to embark on a life on unhappiness. It makes me wonder how many people do this- how many people settle for a life of security rather than one that offers what they think they deserve. It's sad - I hope I dont settle for second best in life - I mean, when people are young they are always ambitious but it seems that somewhere between youth and middle age peoples spirits are crushed and the fear of dying alone kicks in. I dont feat death, I fear being forgotten. If I was to die tomorrow the thought that would haunt me the mouth (if I could feel concious thoughts) would be the worry that nobody would remember me. that I would just be some guy who wrote some crappy stories, had a small group of friends, visited the Old Kings Arms on a friday and didnt really acheive anthing much. I want to mean something so someone - it seems like an attention craving ploy but I really do. I dont think anyone is truly significant until they would be missed when they die.

Lately I am seeing human kind as a carbon copy of a copy that is slowly fading generation by generation - I suppose after a species has been around after so many years it's hard to achieve originality but its sad to see this generic protocol engaged by so many. Religion seems somehow unfitting nowadays - crime and neglegence are too rife for any sort of truce to be brought about between the "goodies" and "baddies" in this film - though perhaps thats because I'm seeing it as a film, as one persons interpretation - if it was literature it would be a whole different matter.

Good night.
Thu 09/09/04 at 11:03
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Yes thats what i meant by talking about class, it used to be about money and intelligence, the richer you were the better educated but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore (Paris Hilton anyone ?), the class war is now between the people who choose to use their brains and those that don't.
Thu 09/09/04 at 02:30
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> A truly intelligent person is someone who uses their intelligence to
> work out that life is for enjoying. And whatever they enjoy they
> should enjoy... it has nothing to do with wealth or social status.

No, you're right there. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was implying wealth had anything to do with it, I was just pointing out that I've had the same education that most people have. A lot of people choose not to use that education though, they'd rather wallow in ignorance.

And life is for enjoying, but for a lot of people, that enjoyment comes from trying to make the world a better place. If they see the social structure of their country descending into a level where the intelligent are shunned, and stupidity is praised, then it would inevitably trouble such a person.

Our sentience and intelligence is a gift - we are the only species on this planet that has it. This being the case, we owe it to our planet, which supports us, to take responsibility for its condition as best we can. We also owe it, as 'enlightened' beings to better ourselves and achieve our full potential, lest we descend into the savage beasts we once were.
Mon 06/09/04 at 19:24
Regular
"pale dreams of life"
Paradox wrote

> I fear being forgotten. If I was to die tomorrow the thought that would > haunt me the mouth (if I could feel concious thoughts) would be the > worry that nobody would remember me.

I don't get it. Your entire message was based on the premise that modern society is passe, that people are generically stupid and etc. Who wants to be remembered by a society like that? Personally I hope that when I die I'm forgotten really fast and never will my name be associated with the sort of crap which goes on in this society.

I do generally agree with pretty much all you're saying but I think that everyone has to make up their own minds about how they want to live. If your idea of happiness is sitting in on a Friday watching Big Brother then how is that less valid than my idea of going out and getting completely pished cos I'm in love with someone I can't have? It's all subjective anyway.

I've just recently started re-reading Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson and I have faith that it will restore my belief in the human race and help me be patient and understanding with all the half witted morans out there. But then if I was patient and understanding I wouldn't think them half witted morans perhaps?

The one thing which does annoy me though is the education system. I mean honestly, the ruling elite obviously don't want us to be educated. I look back on my education (81-93) and frankly am disgusted by the way I feel I was let down. I have 5 highers and 2 sixth year studies and very good grades in all and they are meaningless. They are no use to me whatsoever. Perhaps if my school had taught me to think for myself instead of teaching me tricks and techniques to pass exams I wouldn't have been so unhappy for so long. Or perhaps I had to figure out how to think for myself to realise that we can never be happy all the time cos happiness requires unhappiness just to make it relevant. I do know that I see so many permanently unhappy people and I think that this is so often caused by their ingrained repetition of societal standards and doctrines that they often don't even realise why they're so depressed....

I'm going to leave you with a quote from the first world war, I forget by whom......

"If they'd all just wake up they'd throw down they're weapons and go home to their families"

...and we're still a nation asleep.
Mon 06/09/04 at 18:18
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> It was a gradual realisation process which you and a few others
> brought to light. Creative writing isnt a career, its a hobby -
> journalism is a career and even if I didnt get into that field of
> work a journalism degree is more valid than a creative writing one. I
> admit that partly it is security, yes - I dont want to 'waste' three
> years (admittedly doing a course I'd enjoy) only to have no viable
> career at the end of it.

Well that's what I meant.
You were putting the security of a career before your first interests, instead of develloping your immediate interests and expanding from there.
But I suppose I'm being all extremist about it, and you were talking about someone throwing EVERYTHING away for security (but then again, you perhaps misunderstood their sutiation too. C'est la vie - this is why I'm taking philosophy!) so s'all good.

> However if I did a creative writing course
> they'd tell me how to write and I feel that would be somehow limiting

This has always been a bit of a bone of contention with English classes for me. But if you concentrated on being you rather than fulfilling requirements, you'd be able to take and leave what you'd learnt.
Somewhere Grix said something about more rules being learnt, more rules to be able to break, or something. :-)

But yeah, creative stuff is probably better left to your own muse.
Partly why I didn't take any music or english past GCSE.

> As for phillosophy I think it is something I would probably enjoy but
> I've got no real basis to judge whether I'd be good at it or not.
> Anyone can phillosophise - it's the interpretations of phillosophy
> that matter.

I've probably set myself up for a messy 3 years then. :-D
Mon 06/09/04 at 11:29
Regular
Creative writing is indeed not a full time career... it is a hobby with potential.

I do journalistic work now and so I'm aiming to have the job I'd enjoy, teaching. And I'll continue to write and publish my own stories.
Mon 06/09/04 at 09:49
Regular
"SOUP!"
Strafio wrote:

> Paradox, this whole security issue, wasn't that your whole reason for
> choosing jounalism over creative writing? I know that people made it
> quite clear that making a career out of creative writing was a slim
> shot, but that shouldn't've made a real difference.
> You know, following your heart before a certain chance of career and
> whatnot.
>
> Personally I say screw them both and take Philsosphy, at Nottingham
> University. :-)

It was a gradual realisation process which you and a few others brought to light. Creative writing isnt a career, its a hobby - journalism is a career and even if I didnt get into that field of work a journalism degree is more valid than a creative writing one. I admit that partly it is security, yes - I dont want to 'waste' three years (admittedly doing a course I'd enjoy) only to have no viable career at the end of it. However if I did a creative writing course they'd tell me how to write and I feel that would be somehow limiting - I am going to continue writing and hopefully will be able to shift into full time creativing writing later in life - like Orwell did. Then again maybe I'll becom one of those tabloid-penning celebrity-gossiping hacks that I despise so much. But then I'd probably be fired for using big words like "Mammaries" instead of "jugs" in relation to page 3.

As for phillosophy I think it is something I would probably enjoy but I've got no real basis to judge whether I'd be good at it or not. Anyone can phillosophise - it's the interpretations of phillosophy that matter.
Mon 06/09/04 at 01:33
Regular
ßora† §agdiyeV wrote:

> I'm not a snob by any means, I've come from a modest working class
> background just like the majority of people on here. But I value
> intelligence above anything else, and the only thing worse than being
> completely stupid, is being intelligent and choosing not to use that
> gift.

A truly intelligent person is someone who uses their intelligence to work out that life is for enjoying. And whatever they enjoy they should enjoy... it has nothing to do with wealth or social status.
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:32
Regular
Perhaps he can see that they're not happy and just taking the easy way out. Then again, I've had countless people say that over a lot of my decisions, only to later admit that they had it all wrong and that they could see what I was doing now.

Anysway, everything Grix and Miklar said.

Basically, you can't judge people by your standards and then take the morale high ground. The only way to take the moral high ground is to understand how things are, and try to improve things from there.

I know loads of people I can't relate to, with their label consuming, mainstream TV watching (reality TV and soaps and the like) in so many ways, so I communicate on what we've got, so we all live happily.... so I try. :-)

Paradox, this whole security issue, wasn't that your whole reason for choosing jounalism over creative writing? I know that people made it quite clear that making a career out of creative writing was a slim shot, but that shouldn't've made a real difference.
You know, following your heart before a certain chance of career and whatnot.

Personally I say screw them both and take Philsosphy, at Nottingham University. :-)

But hey, I'm just some guy from another place who's seen one or two things you've written on the internet.
What do I know? :-)
Sun 05/09/04 at 21:26
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
>>>>>PARADOX WROTE

I've watched a person who I used to love and care about throw away their life and future to conform to give the impression they are happy when in reality they arent. A person I spent so many hours trying to help, trying to convince them they deserved better and then the minute I turned my back watching them collapse into depressing conformity to embark on a life on unhappiness. It makes me wonder how many people do this- how many people settle for a life of security rather than one that offers what they think they deserve. It's sad - I hope I dont settle for second best in life - I mean, when people are young they are always ambitious but it seems that somewhere between youth and middle age peoples spirits are crushed and the fear of dying alone kicks in. I dont feat death, I fear being forgotten. If I was to die tomorrow the thought that would haunt me the mouth (if I could feel concious thoughts) would be the worry that nobody would remember me. that I would just be some guy who wrote some crappy stories, had a small group of friends, visited the Old Kings Arms on a friday and didnt really acheive anthing much. I want to mean something so someone - it seems like an attention craving ploy but I really do. I dont think anyone is truly significant until they would be missed when they die.

Surely this person has made the right choice by them. Are you sure its not due to the fact you think they have made the wrong desision that only bothers you!
Sun 05/09/04 at 19:41
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
"FILMS KILL THE IMAGINATION"

No picture ever tells you that there's nothing beyond the horizon. If the blind will become powerful with imagination, then must sight bind us with rules?

Imagination is developed by those that love to lose themselves in what they desire. Those that prefer to be told what they want to desire are fair to do whatever they want. And if films kill your imagination, then so do books.

A pure imagination can be inspired, and not controlled, by what he sees. And perhaps, then, the more rules someone can learn, then the more that person can learn to break.

Films and books do not kill the imagination. They are the escape of the imagination-less, those that do not wish to or cannot develop that skill. The imagination is a tool to lose yourself in what you wish to see, what you believe is beautiful. It's useful also, for crafting the details of books, to lose ourselves in a pre-made world... and imagination is no way to hide ourselves from reality, but to allow ourselves to look beyond it, to improve it. It's a very dangerous weapon, and also probably a rather large cause of war.

I tell you what does kill the imagination though... satisfaction. The apparent knowledge of believing, truly, that all is well and nothing can be improved. Well, maybe.

Who knows? But anyway, film won't kill the imagination, it just often doesn't encourage it. Books, sometimes, are worse.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.