GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the original Half-Life still worth getting?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life'.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:08
"Retarded List"
For £10.

Yes/No
Sat 29/01/05 at 09:50
Regular
It was a superb game, and created many breakthroughs in the FPS world. A true classic. Sure, the graphics are bloody poor, but it WAS 1998.
Sat 29/01/05 at 08:22
Regular
"8==="
An FPS that was surpassed before it was released.
Fri 28/01/05 at 23:17
Regular
Half life was the first propper PC game i ever played to the end. HL2 is playable without having played HL1 but you dont understand some of the quirks like the g-man or the story behind the teleporters and aliens. Once you get into the game you dont notice the old graphics and you just enjoy it for what it is.
Fri 28/01/05 at 01:53
Regular
"8==="
If you've played Goldeneye, Perfect dark or any of the Turok series I wouldn't bother.

It's not good, it never really was.

Still at least CS came from it, like a butterfly out of an ugly cocoon.
Thu 27/01/05 at 16:16
Regular
"object"
not sure ive hardly played mine its supost to be good but im finding it realy boring and slow going
Mon 24/01/05 at 08:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Get HL2 off source, that included as mermoid says HL : source.

You'll get HL2, HL:source and Counterstrike. Can't grumble at that.

Half Life is old. That's unavoidable. There's still a fun little diversion under the dated gfx though.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It's a six year old game with aged graphics and who's ideas, while original and something to behold back in 1998, look old and forgettable today. If your expecting to pick it up and find it to be the bestest game ever made, like those six year old reviews have been telling you, prepare yourself for a disappointment.

Normally I'd have recommended it for it's mod content alone, but HL2 already has a batch of those out with a hell of allot more in the works, so it'd perhaps be better to just put that £10 of yours towards Half Life 2 instead.

Unless your PC can't run it, in which case, sure, Get Half Life.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:26
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
gerrid wrote:
> HL is rubbish. You'll cry at how bad it seems if you've never played
> it before. Mostly because everything that it did has ben done a
> million times over and over, so you've pretty much already played the
> game.

True, get XIII instead.

Well it's not rubbish it's just there's better games.
But if you really want to play HL, and haven't already got HL2 get the HL2 collectors thing off amazon for 32 wuid odd, that gives you HL:Source, HL2, CS:Source, a t-shirt and a little book thingy.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:19
Regular
"bit of a brain"
HL is rubbish. You'll cry at how bad it seems if you've never played it before. Mostly because everything that it did has ben done a million times over and over, so you've pretty much already played the game.
Sun 23/01/05 at 18:15
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Buy the HL2 pack that includes HL: Source.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.