GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How Seriously?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/11/06 at 08:39
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Do you take your online friendships seriously?

Is it much different from your real life friendships?

Do you see them as real people, real friendships, or do you see them as entertainment, a way to pass the time, almost like there are not real people behind the screen?

When you make a close connection, a bond with somebody online, is it easy for you to just drop that connection when needs and circumstances change in your life? On the other hand, do you still make great efforts despite the changes to keep those friendship fires burning?
Mon 20/11/06 at 13:52
"possibly impossible"
Seraphim wrote:
> I wouldnt say its easy to drop the connection when circumstances
> in life change. Its harder to keep up an online friendship. Your
> friendships can only really be when your online, as soon as you
> sign off then you have your life to live with you friends and
> family. Friendships continue online when you log on!
>

You just remember that when you've had the baby :D

I do see people online as being like casual friends and yes, as real people, but it is difficult to judge whether they would be the same in real life. I'd be happy to meet up with some people on these forums just to find out, but I reckon that most of them, if not all, would be at least a bit different from the image I have of them.
Mon 20/11/06 at 12:48
Regular
"..."
GOod question. I tend to take on-line 'relationships' more seriously AFTER I've met the person. Back in the days I was a regular in MSN chatrooms and went on quite a few nights-out with various people, always in large groups. I've always felt that I don;t really know someone until I've shared an ice-cold beverage or two with them...
Mon 20/11/06 at 11:58
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
I take any friendship seriously, whether that be online or in real life. Im warey about who i become friends with too. I have a thing for trusting people to easily.

I think i probably say my online friendships are nothing like my reallife ones. My online ones tend to be more dictating and pushy. They say more and i think thats because they are over a computer. I think if i see them more in real life things would be different and friendships would differ.

Yes i see them as real people real friendships. However i find them harder to cope with because your limited on seeing them and talking. Ive met what i thought were a few good friends online. Things do change though. Things become awkward. There is communication breakdowns and things go wrong.

I wouldnt say its easy to drop the connection when circumstances in life change. Its harder to keep up an online friendship. Your friendships can only really be when your online, as soon as you sign off then you have your life to live with you friends and family. Friendships continue online when you log on!

i try to make online friendships work, but sometimes they just dont.
Sun 19/11/06 at 16:36
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I don't make online friendships - mainly because by nature I'm an unfriendly so-and-so; and also because I see online forums and the people on them as quasi-real.
Sun 19/11/06 at 14:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Seraphim wrote:
> Do you take your online friendships seriously?

Yes

> Is it much different from your real life friendships?

Yes, i'm far more open on here.

> Do you see them as real people?

Yes

> real friendships?

Yes although i miss not having them around physically

> When you make a close connection, a bond with somebody online,
> is it easy for you to just drop that connection when needs and
> circumstances change in your life?

No it's not easy at all but i have done it when i've felt it's necessary.

> On the other hand, do you
> still make great efforts despite the changes to keep those
> friendship fires burning?

I'll do all i can to keep a friendship going if i think it's worth it.
Sun 19/11/06 at 14:53
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Like Borat, I don't differentiate between online relationships or friendships, because 'being online' is just a different method for keeping in touch, it isn't a fictional world. I don't consider the terms real life friends and online friends to exist, as they are all friends to me.

I don't think I would call people I chat to exclusively via a web forum to be good friends though, just a casual acquaintance, in the same way I would call people if I only met them when going to the pub, but didn't have their number / email address or keep in touch outside of that single social circle. The fact that I only keep in touch via a computer and email doesn't make a friendship mean any more or less, it's all down the the person.

I don't think of people as being not real people behind the screen just because I've perhaps only talked to them via a forum, for example. To me that would be similar to meeting someone new in a pub or on a train, having a chat with them but no friendship existing as such, they are all people at the end of the day.

If I make a close connection, it'll all depend on the person, it won't ever be about how I met or keep in touch with them. If I mostly used email for keeping in touch, and for whatever reason it came to not being able to get online much or at all, I'd still try and keep in touch via other means, phone, post, etc and let them know that was the reason for lack of contact (unless of course they weren't bothered). I wouldn't just say, "well, not going to use the net much now, bye".

So, in short, Do you take your online friendships seriously?, that would be a definite yes from me.

How about you Seraphim?
Sun 19/11/06 at 11:27
Regular
I don't really differentiate between online relationships/friendships and real life ones ... online is real life ... and some friendships are stronger than others.

Most people I know and talk to on here I'd consider 'casual' friends ... people I can not speak to for a while but happily jump back into conversation with any time. I guess most offline friendships are like that too.

Very occasionally I'll forge a strong friendship/bond with someone, be it online or offline, something that doesn't just come along any time, you just seem to click with someone ... and yes I would fight to keep it despite changes in lifestyle etc. Friends are very important to me.
Sun 19/11/06 at 10:54
"Darkness, always"
I don't have what you would term 'online relationships'. I'm naturally guarded anyway, and tend not to let anyone in in real life.

If anything, I tread slightly more carefully online in some respects, as it is much easier for random people online to misinterpret what you're trying to say.

That said, I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who get offended by what I say. I simply say what occurs to me to say, and being offended is much like seeing beauty; it is in the eye of the beholder.
Sun 19/11/06 at 10:15
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Obviously I won't mess up my real life friends just to keep my friends here, but I like this place, and the people who stayed behind were the good ones. Like when SR went bankrupt, I was the lunatic screaming "WHERE ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GO???".:D
Sun 19/11/06 at 08:39
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Do you take your online friendships seriously?

Is it much different from your real life friendships?

Do you see them as real people, real friendships, or do you see them as entertainment, a way to pass the time, almost like there are not real people behind the screen?

When you make a close connection, a bond with somebody online, is it easy for you to just drop that connection when needs and circumstances change in your life? On the other hand, do you still make great efforts despite the changes to keep those friendship fires burning?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.