GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone need a Right-Back?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/08/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
So, the Transfer Window closes this coming Monday, meaning every club in Europe's elite domestic competition will have to act fast now or wait until January for the chance to perfect and power their squad in-time for a close, dramatic and descicive finish to another superb Premiership season.

Already this summer (despite all the rain) we've seen some incredible deals go through. Both England's Michael Owen and Jonothan Woodgate have decided to up and join David Beckham at Real Madrid, while clubs like Man United, Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been able to pick-up star players such as Alan Smith, Mark Viduka and James Milner for some real bragain prices due to Leeds failure to survive one last season in the top-flight.

Steven Gerrard and Patrick Vieira have made great turn-arounds on money-mad clubs having previously "agreed" a deal, while, even now, England's star of Euro 2004, Wayne Rooney, could be on the verge of a £27m to Newcastle; all before Monday's unreasonable 'just-to-be-like-the-rest-of-them' deadline.

While all this has gone on, there is one rising star who I believe has - and will, for the coming season - gone un-noticed with all the changes that have occured all around him.

To get to the point, I'm talking about Chelsea's 19-year-old England international right-back Glen Johnson (who, I do believe, if he hasn't done so already, turns 20 this week...?). Before his £6m transfer to Stamford Bridge, so much was made of him - and, on the pitch, you could clearly see why. Get a few more years of experience under his belt, and Gary Neville's regular international future could finally be under considerable threat. With his pace and power, seeing him play last Wednesday night alone, you can see how he'll easily make up for all David Beckham doesn't have (just like Ashley Cole on the left).

Now, at Chelsea, many changes have happened. For a start, Claudio Ranieri has, as we were all suspecting, been given his marching orders by Roman Abramovich/Peter Kenyon. In comes Champions' League-winner José Mourinho and, despite his early denial of the possibilities, along with him comes a small chunk of the new Portuguese national team. And, with that - despite keeping his squad number (unlike Diouf at Liverpool) - Glen Johnson appears to have faded into the background under Abromvich's revolution.

Steven Carr finally ended his time at White Hart Lane for a move on to bigger things with Newcastle United, and now, Jaques Santini's new side have shown a keen interest in Liverpool's Steve Finnan (as have Rooney-losing Everton, or so we're led to believe). Liverpool aren't too keen to let him go, however. And now, as it would stand, there is, once again, a growing 'need' inside the Premier League for the right-back that everybody wants; a role once, until recently, filled by Ireland's Steven Carr.

Step forward Glen Johnson, is what I say.

You can stretch your eyes across the globe as far as you like, yet, for the kind of money Chelsea may now be prepared to let him leave for, the great potential he still has along with the pace and power of every modern-day full-back requires, I do not believe you will find a more convenient aquisition than to snap up England's Glen Johnson now before all the bigger boys begin to realise his situation.

I know the first part of his new season has been affected by injury, but, with big players like Carvalho having only just-arrived, I very much doubt he would feature even as much in this new campaign as did in the second-half of the last one. For young Johnson, it is time to move on.

Behind Shaun Wright-Phillips one-week-ago, he showed us all exactly why Chelsea valued him at £6m in the first place. And now, even Spurs could probably get him for around just £2m!

Let's just wait and see what happens, anyway. If an inspiring England debut can do the world of good for Shaun Wright-Phillips, why can't Glen Johnson get some of that deserved credit for the star he truly can be?

Not that I'm expecting any miracles or anything...
Wed 25/08/04 at 18:52
Regular
"I love Dave music"
What happened to the Greek right-back? I think he played for a team in Germany? He was class - you'd probably get him for £1-1.5m. Not saying he's better than Johnson, who I rate, but can't believe no-one else has snapped him up....

GL
Wed 25/08/04 at 15:16
Regular
bah hate people preaching wrongly about my club. he has already said he is happy at chelsea, we cut melchiot and signed ferreira they will be used a fair bit. Jose has already spoken about him and said he rates him highly and there is no way he will be leaving. He will get plenty of football to aid his development and may also play right midfield too this season
Wed 25/08/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Long time no see!"
So, the Transfer Window closes this coming Monday, meaning every club in Europe's elite domestic competition will have to act fast now or wait until January for the chance to perfect and power their squad in-time for a close, dramatic and descicive finish to another superb Premiership season.

Already this summer (despite all the rain) we've seen some incredible deals go through. Both England's Michael Owen and Jonothan Woodgate have decided to up and join David Beckham at Real Madrid, while clubs like Man United, Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been able to pick-up star players such as Alan Smith, Mark Viduka and James Milner for some real bragain prices due to Leeds failure to survive one last season in the top-flight.

Steven Gerrard and Patrick Vieira have made great turn-arounds on money-mad clubs having previously "agreed" a deal, while, even now, England's star of Euro 2004, Wayne Rooney, could be on the verge of a £27m to Newcastle; all before Monday's unreasonable 'just-to-be-like-the-rest-of-them' deadline.

While all this has gone on, there is one rising star who I believe has - and will, for the coming season - gone un-noticed with all the changes that have occured all around him.

To get to the point, I'm talking about Chelsea's 19-year-old England international right-back Glen Johnson (who, I do believe, if he hasn't done so already, turns 20 this week...?). Before his £6m transfer to Stamford Bridge, so much was made of him - and, on the pitch, you could clearly see why. Get a few more years of experience under his belt, and Gary Neville's regular international future could finally be under considerable threat. With his pace and power, seeing him play last Wednesday night alone, you can see how he'll easily make up for all David Beckham doesn't have (just like Ashley Cole on the left).

Now, at Chelsea, many changes have happened. For a start, Claudio Ranieri has, as we were all suspecting, been given his marching orders by Roman Abramovich/Peter Kenyon. In comes Champions' League-winner José Mourinho and, despite his early denial of the possibilities, along with him comes a small chunk of the new Portuguese national team. And, with that - despite keeping his squad number (unlike Diouf at Liverpool) - Glen Johnson appears to have faded into the background under Abromvich's revolution.

Steven Carr finally ended his time at White Hart Lane for a move on to bigger things with Newcastle United, and now, Jaques Santini's new side have shown a keen interest in Liverpool's Steve Finnan (as have Rooney-losing Everton, or so we're led to believe). Liverpool aren't too keen to let him go, however. And now, as it would stand, there is, once again, a growing 'need' inside the Premier League for the right-back that everybody wants; a role once, until recently, filled by Ireland's Steven Carr.

Step forward Glen Johnson, is what I say.

You can stretch your eyes across the globe as far as you like, yet, for the kind of money Chelsea may now be prepared to let him leave for, the great potential he still has along with the pace and power of every modern-day full-back requires, I do not believe you will find a more convenient aquisition than to snap up England's Glen Johnson now before all the bigger boys begin to realise his situation.

I know the first part of his new season has been affected by injury, but, with big players like Carvalho having only just-arrived, I very much doubt he would feature even as much in this new campaign as did in the second-half of the last one. For young Johnson, it is time to move on.

Behind Shaun Wright-Phillips one-week-ago, he showed us all exactly why Chelsea valued him at £6m in the first place. And now, even Spurs could probably get him for around just £2m!

Let's just wait and see what happens, anyway. If an inspiring England debut can do the world of good for Shaun Wright-Phillips, why can't Glen Johnson get some of that deserved credit for the star he truly can be?

Not that I'm expecting any miracles or anything...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.