GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gigs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/11/06 at 13:40
Regular
I seem to remember a topic like this existing when the music forum was about and as I'm off to a gig tonight I thought I'd get the ball rolling, basically if you're off to a gig at any time in the future tell us about it and give a bit of a review afterwards.

Tonight I'm off to Brixton Academy for a gig called Taste of Chaos, five bands with three smaller bands as supports:

Taking Back Sunday
Underoath
Alexisonfire
Anti-Flag
Saosin

Not sure about the supporting bands but hopefully they'll be good.

Also last thursday I saw We Are Scientists at Brixton again (I seem to live there recently). Really good gig, the banter between the band was excellent, in particular when a girl got hit by something someone in the audience had thrown. Ended and begun with surprising covers but they were performed really well and had the crowd singing along... strangely considering one was a Boyz 2 Men song!

Anyway, hope there's some other people out there who enjoy dabbling in a bit of live music.
Sat 18/11/06 at 14:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i went to see some local bands last night....

first band - bad with zero personality. no vocals, and every song went quiet, loud, time change, quiet, loud, time change, repeat ad nauseum.

second - good but needed singing lessons. silly emo haircuts and an otherwise appealing DIY image (there`s something so glorious about guitrars decorated with strips of coloured tape :D ) short, sharp songs so no time to get bored. from out of town so always a struggle to win over a new crowd, but a decent amount of energy and seemed to be enjoyng themselves.

the last lot were blisteringly average but thought they were fantastic. lacked personality (endless punk/hardcore poses is NOT personality) and were really only playing for their mates. they failed to interact with the rest of the audience and may just as well have played in one of their garages and invited their mates (pet peeve of mine that is) looked like each one had been kicked out of other bands, so they got together and decided to be mediocre as one. contrived music, no sense of BEING a band (like i said, they all looked like they`d been kicked out of other bands, there was nothing that said "band".. just "4 people trying for the spotlight") twas only their 2nd gig so they may get better (and expand upon their 5 song "set") but from watching this, i predict "artistic differences" by gig 5. generic as hell is all well and good, but at least make an effort to do it properl;y and don`t for one second try and convince yourself that it`s groundbreaking..

there was another band setting up, but when the bass player decided he just HAD to take his shirt off before they even started (and it was in no way warm enough to justify it.. and he kept his sily emo scarf ON) i concluded that they`d probably be another bunch of posers and decided to leave. plus they had a "camera crew".. which was one of their tubby mates who came and stood RIGHT in my way to record the gig on his phone.. ass-hat, i deliberately moved to the side so i was out the way and could just watch the bands.

overall, a collection of people who got together to out-frown each other (except the 2nd lot). seriously, if it annoys you that much, do something else; even the heaviest, angriest bands find time to have some fun with their audience. stop taking yourselves so seriously.... and take your scarves off indoors.
Sat 18/11/06 at 13:40
Regular
I seem to remember a topic like this existing when the music forum was about and as I'm off to a gig tonight I thought I'd get the ball rolling, basically if you're off to a gig at any time in the future tell us about it and give a bit of a review afterwards.

Tonight I'm off to Brixton Academy for a gig called Taste of Chaos, five bands with three smaller bands as supports:

Taking Back Sunday
Underoath
Alexisonfire
Anti-Flag
Saosin

Not sure about the supporting bands but hopefully they'll be good.

Also last thursday I saw We Are Scientists at Brixton again (I seem to live there recently). Really good gig, the banter between the band was excellent, in particular when a girl got hit by something someone in the audience had thrown. Ended and begun with surprising covers but they were performed really well and had the crowd singing along... strangely considering one was a Boyz 2 Men song!

Anyway, hope there's some other people out there who enjoy dabbling in a bit of live music.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.