GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 again"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Sat 29/01/05 at 10:44
Metropolis Level - turn round, ignore the tank and get into the Warthog. Drive at top speed:

Female Soldier: "Follow the--- UNGHHHH"

Run over her. Funny stuff.
Wed 09/02/05 at 06:17
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I seriously have no idea what you are talking about with the
> accessibility crap.

What I mean is, with half Life 2, Doom 3 you still rely on the "I can carry all weapons" thing; and an archaic control of using them - jab 1 for the knife, 3 for the gun or whatever; or even use the mouse wheel to scroll to your gun. Maybe you can blame it on the format for being too mechanical, but with Halo 2 you don't have to remember what number the Shotgun is designated to. It's far more natural to control, freeing you up for better enjoyment. Or lack of, in your case.
>
> The level design is crap, the story is dull and it is so average to
> play.

Obviously, everyone has differnt tastes; one man's treasures and all that -but I'd like to hear some examples, comparisons - level design is far superior to CoD, Doom, and yes, H-L2. While more dissected location-wise then the latter two, the level design feels asymmetric and never monotonous (bar Gravemind and high Charity, but then, Half Life 2 had more than its fair share - a lot more).

Average to play? Aha. There were two great thing about Half Life 2 - graphics, and the physics. Shoot at the enemy, throw stuff at the enemy, admire lovely details on enemy. When in a firefight, tell me, how fun is it to actually play through? More fun than Halo 2? Where, at least, the enemies move?

And then you have the gun variations and styles of fight - you can go on a melee only rampage, using only the B button to hop from one grunt to the other. The traditional Plasmas then SMG - or good ol' shotgun. How much of that is restricted in HL2 due to lack of ammo, that brief but oh so vital moment when you switch to another gun not in your quickswitch?

And story - oh dear oh dear. If you really think any of the three you mentioned comes close, you're in for a laugh. CoD was a nice branching one, your typical WW2 FPS game; Doom - um right. Half Life 2 - tell me, what did you feel you had accomplished upon completion? Succeeded in the rebel movement? Was there *really* a purpose worth playing the game for, storywise?

Halo 2 - I won't spoil it for you since you've apparently only played 30 mins of the campaign - great asessment by the way, I like your use of examples of where the story was dull. I can tell you that the first 3 levels had more story backbone to the entire H-L2 one though.

> It doesn't even come slightly close to Half-life 2, Call of Duty or
> Far Cry.

It wouldn't be surprising if you judged these, and Halo 2, based on the quality of graphics alone.
Tue 08/02/05 at 23:48
Regular
"no nonsense"
i just re-bought halo 2 for £18 sealed and brand new... damn i love ebay
Tue 08/02/05 at 22:10
"I love yo... lamp."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I seriously have no idea what you are talking about with the
> accessibility crap.
>
> The level design is crap, the story is dull and it is so average to
> play.
>
> It doesn't even come slightly close to Half-life 2, Call of Duty or
> Far Cry.

Lets start with the levels. The single player ones are bland. But then, every FPS has bland single player levels. Ooh, we have a blue corridor, how exciting! Then a green one! WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! That's FPS games.

Story dull? Halo my dear boy. Not um... that other one. It's not exactly an original story, but it is detailed. The games, the cutscenes, the books - they all intersperse exceedingly well, creating a proper world for the game. It gives it a continuity, a sense of living, that is missing in most other games.

Oh and average to play? Nope. Still the best console shooter ever made. The PC does have better single player shooters, but none that are better in multiplayer. 64 player isn't enough to make something better. Great, unbiased levels, lots of options and modes, variety in the weapons - that is what makes for good levels and multiplayer.

Ali, normally I respect your opinion a fair bit. But you've admitted to not having played Halo 2 on Live, nor having played much more than half an hour of the single player game. Because of that, it voids most of what you have to say.
Tue 08/02/05 at 19:33
Regular
Ahrghghghghg...

Level 8 on Big Team Battle :(
I was level 10 - stupid yankees and there crap team-work skills.
Mon 07/02/05 at 21:28
Regular
I still cant agree with those who say that Halo 2's campaign is crap. It was not what i expected as the demos led me to beleive that we were getting a huge battle for control of earth a scenario which now looks likely for Halo 3 but the onine play makes it worth playing. I have played online solidly since november and in that time I bought Call of Duty and crap tank levels aside it is ok but not a patch on Halo 2 bu tas with all things that is a personal preference. Oh and Rome: Total War is the dogs danglies.
Mon 07/02/05 at 17:34
Regular
I seriously have no idea what you are talking about with the accessibility crap.

The level design is crap, the story is dull and it is so average to play.

It doesn't even come slightly close to Half-life 2, Call of Duty or Far Cry.
Mon 07/02/05 at 11:05
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Between Halo and Halo 2 I played Call of Duty, Far Cry, Doom 3 and
> Half-Life 2. It isn't really all that hard to see why Halo 2 was just
> a complete dull fest, even without comparing it to any other game
> Halo 2 is just an average bog standard FPS that has absolutely
> nothing to make it stand out as anything else.

Putting aside the best arcade FPS online play, the story for one thing. Out of that lot, Halo 2 is far superior to them all, and certainly kept me far more interested. Some say the overlapping of story arcs diluted the game, and many jusy wanted to play as Master Chief. But the writers' aim was to expand the Convenant side of the story, and that they did. And superbly done too.

Cinematics are also wonderful. You can't deny that the storytelling during the cutscenes are focused and actually progess with some vital storyline info.

And then game mechanics. Halo 2 is superior to all those you mentioned in accessibility and "feel" - the weapon restriction, especially with its expanded set, certainly brings out widely varied gameplay on each level. Same can't be said of the others. Control was slick and intuitive - almost immediately swapping weapons whilst still running was easy, and firing each, inlcluding grenades, was always enjoyable.
Sat 05/02/05 at 23:27
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Light wrote:
> Just got Halo 2 and I'm rather enjoying it.
>
> Still not a patch on Rome Total War. Just personal preference I
> guess.

Yeah, cos TW selection of guns is so different...

They're entriely different games...?

+ TW is god. But still.
Sat 05/02/05 at 00:07
Regular
That's utter bullshoite!

There's no way they'd update it for XBox 2, geeks would protest till they were less pale in the face.

Anyway. It sucks offline, but online it's generally excellent.
Fri 04/02/05 at 21:30
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Im so fed up with halo 2!!!! Before the game came out it was ok(ish) for all the hype, but its getting so boring buying a new mag only to find them still going on about it. I carnt even look at my halo2 anymore let alone play it. Now in a press release from some where or other there saing that halo 2 was made for the next generation of consoles and thats why there were so many bugs with the graphics and stuff, and the reason why?

....They are going to release a new version of halo 2 on the next xbox! and there will be more. Like the next god damm level from our version and then release the next game! so we didnt get an expansion of the first game, we got a long demo of a next gen fps.

is it just me.........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.