GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do web servers work?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/08/04 at 12:24
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Well just thinking, how do they work, do you need some kind of special server or can you tune it around to work on your pc?

anyway thanks for any replys.
Mon 23/08/04 at 10:10
Regular
"Freeola Support"
ok, simple look at what it can do [URL]http://www.imagemagick.org/images/examples.jpg[/URL]
Sun 22/08/04 at 23:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I've never seen any ImageMagick functions in PHP.. All PHP image functions are dependant on GD, for a good reason.
Fri 20/08/04 at 12:13
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Urgh don't even mention ImageMagick. GD is superior in every
> conceivable way.
apart from resizing animated gifs (although I do believe they are improving this) and coppermine (a script i use for a php gallery) is basically built around image magick as with gd support you can't use many images types with it.
Thu 19/08/04 at 21:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
phi11ip wrote:
> but the lack of things such as PHP(mail) just do my head in.

If you mean using the mail() function in PHP on a windows machine, you can go into your php.ini file, and look for the section [mail function], and change the value of SMTP from localhost to an outgoing mail server (e.g. smtp.dsl.pipex.com).
Thu 19/08/04 at 19:41
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
If a program is Windows friendly, it's amazingly easy to get things sorted. Installing Perl was easy.

However other stuff, such as GD is just plain stupid as it's mainly intended for Linux servers, which is a pain.

The only thing I like about Windows is that it's far easier to manage your files using remote desktop, bit the lack of things such as .htaccess, PHP(mail) and the stubborn log files just do my head in.
Wed 18/08/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh mate, that's a lost cause. I used to run GD on Windows, but it was mega-difficult.

I remember having intermittent .htaccess require valid user problems, but they kinda went away.. I think it's to do with different salts on Windows.. or something. You need to recreate the .htpasswd file for Windows.
Wed 18/08/04 at 22:14
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
GD is a real sod to set up on a Windows box however.

Perl wasn't too bad but I'm just stuck with GD, it's stupid.

In fact, does anyone here have any experience with Windows servers? It's refusing to log properly on a few of the sites, it's happened on both servers, I don't have a clue what's wrong.

Tell me if you do know and I'll post more...
Wed 18/08/04 at 15:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Urgh don't even mention ImageMagick. GD is superior in every conceivable way.
Wed 18/08/04 at 14:49
Regular
"Freeola Support"
phi11ip wrote:
> [URL]http://www.apachefriends.org/en/[/URL]
>
> It's a 55MB file but it's got everything included and set up within
> it.
>
> Let's see, we've got MySQL, Webalizer, GD image library, PHP, Perl,
> and lots of other fun stuff!
What no ImageMagick :(
Wed 18/08/04 at 14:14
Regular
I reccomend getting an old machine and installing someform of Linux on it.

Lightweight OS's with good security usually make decent web servers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.