GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"getting site seen"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/11/06 at 09:30
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Hi all,
i have a site online to promote my animation work, cv, etc but i can`t seem to get it to show up on any search engines.

initially i was using an Iframe, which i was told would affect the keywords of the content pages being searched, so i rediseigned to load in the page layout fresh each time (lots of identically laid out pages, no iframe).. the results haven`t been any better.. none of my animations turn up any search results even if i type in the exact title (well, except one, but that returns a result on a mates website who worked on it with me.. so still no good)

anyways, this morning i noticed that a particular record label i like use iframes and have NO trouble getting themselves seen. they have a "click to enter" index page and then you proceed to the iframe based content.

basically i felt the iframe was a far neater solution, loaded faster and meant i only had to modify the menu page to add new work, now i have to rebuild the menu on all the pages. So i`m considering going back to iframe based layout but haviong a "click to enter" page to hold all my keywords, etc.

does anyone have any advice on how to get yourself seen?

and before anyone starts, yes, i know "iframes suck".. but the primary concern is getting seen, so we`ll focus on reasons for/against that ;)
Sun 19/11/06 at 15:09
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
In that case, but on a personal level, I wouldn't use an <iframe> on a site because of the possibility that a user may come to it directly (via a search engine or forum link), not being able to access any other part of the site from it, think the site is bad and leave.

What you have at the moment seems fine and preferable to me, although I would personally not make the content area scroll and let it fill the space needed. Perhaps look at using a server side language (like PHP) to make the maintaining easier. For example, if you renamed your files from .html to .php you can copy your nav code into a separate file, and add <?php include(nav.html);?> to your main pages, so when updating your navigation, you only need to do so via the single file.

BTW, which record company web site were you talking about?
Sun 19/11/06 at 14:31
Regular
"you've got a beard"
kind of, the pages are self contained, but linking to them directly would of course leave you with no navigation system as they`re just content pages.
Sun 19/11/06 at 13:13
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I wouldn't know for sure how search results are affected by <iframe>s, but if a search engine listed your pages, then linked directly to that <iframe> address, rather than the page that contained the <iframe>, would your site still function?
Fri 17/11/06 at 18:27
Regular
"you've got a beard"
ah splendid ok then, i`ll sit it out for a while.

how much will the use of iframes adversely affect the search results?? like i said, it seems like the neatest way to implement my layout, and i`m too busy to have time to make achanges to everything all the time.

would individual keywords on the content pages be taken into account? (i.e - you can search for a specific project and it`ll turn a result despite not being the index.html page.

thanks for all the help, much appreciated!
Fri 17/11/06 at 15:23
Regular
"incognito"
The site command comes up with nothing for me on Google.co.uk, so it seems that your site has not been added to all of Google's datacentres yet.

You will need to be patient, if it is listed in Yahoo then it's only a matter of time for it to be indexed properly by Google as well.

As I said before, having more links does make the whole process faster with Google, especially from sites that already have good ranking in their search results, as this means those sites will be spidered more often.
Fri 17/11/06 at 14:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
How long has the web site been active? It could just be that search engines haven't got around to a full index scan if the site is relatively new.

If you Google for your site, using site:www.secondarymotion.co.uk, only the domain name is listed, so Google at least knows it exists.

Are you able to access your web site logs? If so, do you see any bots scanning your web sites?

Edit:
Your site is listed well on Yahoo, so if it isn't coming up often, it could just be down to your result location, in that currently, other sites outrank you on keywords, page votes, etc.
Fri 17/11/06 at 14:24
Regular
"you've got a beard"
thanks BW20, i`ll bear all that in mind. i`m glad there`s a practical reason against a doorway page as i really didn`t want one.

if you want a look for reference, the site is www.secondarymotion.co.uk

note - this is NOT the iframe version, but i have "faked" it with CSS for pages that require scrolling
Fri 17/11/06 at 13:23
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It would be helpful if we could see the site.
Fri 17/11/06 at 11:18
Regular
"incognito"
Hi,

Although it's not the only consideration to getting your site indexed, by far the most effective is to get more links to your site from others.

Try submitting your site to directories, but the best idea is to get "relevant" links, i.e. links from sites of a similar interest to yours. You can try emailing the sites and offering to put up a link to them in exchange and some people will go for this.

Iframes can be awful if done incorrectly but if done properly can be effective, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Get more links and you will get your site fully indexed (as long as your internal links are ok as well) and the more links you get, the higher ranking you get in most search engines.

After you have got some links try optimising your pages with some search terms i.e whichever terms you want your site to be found with in the search engines, make sure that that term appears on your pages.

edit: Oh and by the way, don't do a doorway "click to enter" page stuffed with keywords, some search engines and especially Google, do not take too well to this and see it as being spammy. Leave the first page to your site as your main page and just make sure it is optimised for keywords. (but not stuffed full of them)
Fri 17/11/06 at 09:30
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Hi all,
i have a site online to promote my animation work, cv, etc but i can`t seem to get it to show up on any search engines.

initially i was using an Iframe, which i was told would affect the keywords of the content pages being searched, so i rediseigned to load in the page layout fresh each time (lots of identically laid out pages, no iframe).. the results haven`t been any better.. none of my animations turn up any search results even if i type in the exact title (well, except one, but that returns a result on a mates website who worked on it with me.. so still no good)

anyways, this morning i noticed that a particular record label i like use iframes and have NO trouble getting themselves seen. they have a "click to enter" index page and then you proceed to the iframe based content.

basically i felt the iframe was a far neater solution, loaded faster and meant i only had to modify the menu page to add new work, now i have to rebuild the menu on all the pages. So i`m considering going back to iframe based layout but haviong a "click to enter" page to hold all my keywords, etc.

does anyone have any advice on how to get yourself seen?

and before anyone starts, yes, i know "iframes suck".. but the primary concern is getting seen, so we`ll focus on reasons for/against that ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.