GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I, Robot"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 12:05
Regular
I've never read the Asimov books, so I'm not one of those getting upset because the robots aren't right. But these are the same people who cry if Spock uses the wrong type of phaser in Star Trek, so I'm not really that fussed.

But still, my expectations weren't exactly that high. I like Will Smith as a blockbuster actor. He does the job, and can make me laugh. But it'd been getting some bad press in some places, mainly because of the corporate sponsorship. And they were right. Sort of.

It doesn't normally bother me, y'see. I realise that these films need the money to keep on shovelling CGI in our faces and therefore just say "..Hm" if Spidey jumps all over a Carlsberg lorry or everyone drives a Lexus in Minority Report, or Halle Berry does the Bond Girl thing with the aid of her trusty Sony Ericsson. And it was mostly that sort of stuff in I, Robot. -Mostly-. Him being proud of his remote JVC CD-player, or driving his Audi into most shots, or FedEx robots being unusually popular. Not a big problem. But what did bother me was his adoring love of "vintage 2004" Converse shoes. He loves them. His grandmother and boss comment on them, and he props them on the table and says 'Converse All-Star vintage 2004. Thing of beauty'. Basically it was Will Smith advertising Converse. It irked me muchly.

But, after the film had finished, I thought back and realised that apart from the ConverseWhoring, it was a pretty enjoyable film. A bit like Minority Report in terms of visualisation and style, but not as good. Still fun. Will Smith carries the part, the robots are done well and it ambles along at a good enough pace. It's not going to win Oscars or anything, it's just a summer blockbuster doing what it says on the packet.

So I'd recommend you watch it if you can ignore sponsorship.
But there's no Jazzy Jeff.
Sat 07/08/04 at 17:27
Regular
Really? That car with automatic driving and ball wheels isn't a road model? And there was me about to slap down a deposit.
Sat 07/08/04 at 17:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I heard they stuck loads of electrodes on Jazzy Jeff and he was the robots.
Sat 07/08/04 at 17:25
Regular
"Better Than You"
Anonymous wrote:
> Can't be doing much wrong if its grossing 100 Million in States,
> enjoyed the film although it wasn't Will Smith's best film.
>
> Stryke is right they need a bit of advertising to promote the film,
> The Audi adverts with the I, Robot car, FedEx, Converse...

Although I haven't seen the film that's funny 'cause the Audi car Will Smith uses is only a model not an actual real car, so when they film he is just sat there doing his lines and jumping about with out the car moving.
Sat 07/08/04 at 12:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
They should have advertised beer by having drunk robots falling around like street bums.

I thought it was alright, watchable but there was nothing that makes you go "WOW"
Sat 07/08/04 at 12:11
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Can't be doing much wrong if its grossing 100 Million in States, enjoyed the film although it wasn't Will Smith's best film.

Stryke is right they need a bit of advertising to promote the film, The Audi adverts with the I, Robot car, FedEx, Converse...
Sat 07/08/04 at 12:05
Regular
I've never read the Asimov books, so I'm not one of those getting upset because the robots aren't right. But these are the same people who cry if Spock uses the wrong type of phaser in Star Trek, so I'm not really that fussed.

But still, my expectations weren't exactly that high. I like Will Smith as a blockbuster actor. He does the job, and can make me laugh. But it'd been getting some bad press in some places, mainly because of the corporate sponsorship. And they were right. Sort of.

It doesn't normally bother me, y'see. I realise that these films need the money to keep on shovelling CGI in our faces and therefore just say "..Hm" if Spidey jumps all over a Carlsberg lorry or everyone drives a Lexus in Minority Report, or Halle Berry does the Bond Girl thing with the aid of her trusty Sony Ericsson. And it was mostly that sort of stuff in I, Robot. -Mostly-. Him being proud of his remote JVC CD-player, or driving his Audi into most shots, or FedEx robots being unusually popular. Not a big problem. But what did bother me was his adoring love of "vintage 2004" Converse shoes. He loves them. His grandmother and boss comment on them, and he props them on the table and says 'Converse All-Star vintage 2004. Thing of beauty'. Basically it was Will Smith advertising Converse. It irked me muchly.

But, after the film had finished, I thought back and realised that apart from the ConverseWhoring, it was a pretty enjoyable film. A bit like Minority Report in terms of visualisation and style, but not as good. Still fun. Will Smith carries the part, the robots are done well and it ambles along at a good enough pace. It's not going to win Oscars or anything, it's just a summer blockbuster doing what it says on the packet.

So I'd recommend you watch it if you can ignore sponsorship.
But there's no Jazzy Jeff.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.