GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is all this Reassuring?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/07/04 at 20:21
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Taking a step-aside from all this "Manhunt" madness for two-minutes, I'm interested to see what people's opinions are on all this 'extra fuss' being made over the possibility of a Terrorist Attack on our country (sorry, "Emergency") and all the "safety measures" being thrown in our faces like on-line Junk Mail.

Soon enough, we'll have booklets and all-sorts flooding through our doors...

To go with that, we've even got adverts plastered all over our TVs and the media, allerting us of how important these will be, and what we should do when they do arrive (it doesn't even take an idiot to figure out how to read a book, y'know...).

And now, there's a new Thursday night series starting on SkyOne, just to top it all off!

But, why now? Why not another year-or-two-ago, back in the aftermath of unforgettable 9/11? Is there something we should know...?

When all else about video-game violence and Sven-Goran Eriksson's bedroom antics eventually die down, surely people will begin to feel a little uneasy when they realise how "over-cautious" the Goverment has suddenly become on such a matter...

If they're gonna make this much fuss now, should they as well give us a date, a time and a place to go with it??
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:21
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Taking a step-aside from all this "Manhunt" madness for two-minutes, I'm interested to see what people's opinions are on all this 'extra fuss' being made over the possibility of a Terrorist Attack on our country (sorry, "Emergency") and all the "safety measures" being thrown in our faces like on-line Junk Mail.

Soon enough, we'll have booklets and all-sorts flooding through our doors...

To go with that, we've even got adverts plastered all over our TVs and the media, allerting us of how important these will be, and what we should do when they do arrive (it doesn't even take an idiot to figure out how to read a book, y'know...).

And now, there's a new Thursday night series starting on SkyOne, just to top it all off!

But, why now? Why not another year-or-two-ago, back in the aftermath of unforgettable 9/11? Is there something we should know...?

When all else about video-game violence and Sven-Goran Eriksson's bedroom antics eventually die down, surely people will begin to feel a little uneasy when they realise how "over-cautious" the Goverment has suddenly become on such a matter...

If they're gonna make this much fuss now, should they as well give us a date, a time and a place to go with it??
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:27
Regular
Why now?

Why, [URL]http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk/[/URL] :-)

The government.

They try, bless 'em, but they really seem to take us for idiots sometimes. :-)
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:28
Regular
"cachoo"
Heheh, paranoia indeed! My thoughts exactly too.
The first thing that comes to mind for some reason is that quote, "What you don't know, won't kill you", or something similar to that. Maybe something is going on, but we won't know the full details until it's too late to do something, probably.
Maybe the creator of the X Files could see the future. Don't trust the Government! They're the Devil!
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:29
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
We will have a terrorist attack in the UK. It will most probably be in London. 10 Million people live in London. Anyone of us could be killed in any terrorist attacks. The goverment do need to warn us.
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:31
Regular
"a.k.a King"
If there's a terrorist attack it will be on the American Embassy in London. Soz Forest, evacuate ur house immediatley!
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:39
Regular
"cachoo"
They've gotta have it on some smart-ar$e date like 9/11. Unless that was purely un-intentional.
Sat 31/07/04 at 20:46
"period drama"
I do agree that the timing is well off - why now of all times? Why not 2 years ago when everything seemed that little bit closer to home?
But I'm kinda glad it came.

Because I have no doubt that eventually, the UK will be attacked - a big attack at that. I'm quite surprised it hasn't already happened.
And any measure that'll stop idiots getting themselves killed or totally freaked out can only be a good thing.
Sat 31/07/04 at 21:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Heh, blatant attempt from the government to show us *oooh look we are actually doing something, aren't we good boys and girls, now can we have a treat?*

Doubt it'll be of much use anyway, i mean when the bombs are exploding everywhere are people really going to say *hold on everyone stop screaming and running about madly let's consult this handy manual to see what we should be doing.*
Sat 31/07/04 at 21:57
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Why now?

Well Al Qaeda scored a major victory in Spain by changing the outcome of the elections and killing scores of people into the bargain.

With the US elections coming, and the UK ones next year, plus the supposed 'declaration of war' made a few days ago on a website, the fact that we know some stuff that was supposed to be in Iraq - certain chemical weapons/biological agents, and the fact that 'experts' reckon Al Qaeda has a 3-4 year gap between major operations, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's good time to address the problem seriously.

Because, as numerous joking topics on this forum alone have proved, a majority in the UK take the possibility of a terrorist threat to the security of this country as a laughing matter. It will 'never happen' is the general attitude.

Which means that maybe you don't notice the guy in the shopping centre spraying water on the plastic plants who looks out of place. You don't notice the guy bundled up in a thick coat when it's warm. You don't think it will happen so you don't realise maybe it's just about to. Look at the recently released CCTV footage from 9/11 showing the hijackers of one flight being stopped at security and scanned, and being let go anyway. After all, what are they going to do with those little cutters eh?

Nor is it, in my opinion, right to say that, if an attack comes, that London or purely US interests will be targeted. Al Qaeda just declared it wants all of Europe's streets to "run with blood". Notice they said "all", not "US Allies", or "those who went into Iraq", nope it's "all". Certainly London has targets of symbolic value and national value, but it's also the most protected. If you kill enough people then any place becomes important - look at Dunblane, Columbine, a field in Pennysylvania etc. And this is just assuming the next attack comes in a form that is obvious such as explosive attacks. If it's biological or chemical then all bets are off. It could be up two two or three weeks before we even know an attack has taken place and by then it'd be everywhere in the civilised world. The one semi-reassuring fact is that to get a biological or chemical agent in a form that would be effective for an attack requires at least limited state backing, and how many states would wish to risk such attacks implicating them? That alone is the one fact that is holding back such an attack for the moment.

The booklet might reassure some, but to me it's little more than a PR stunt to try and convince people they can do something. The fact the booklet even exists is another small victory to the terrorists. The various Irish groups, whilst hitting the mainland, never seriously changed the way of life of so many, but Al Qaeda has managed to do that. One of the most unreassuring things is the level of general incompetence reported everyday on even mundane issues. If doctors cannot spot cancer in a patient - something I'd wager that every doctor has seen and knows about -, if Police cannot even control city and town centres at nighttimes, if the law allows even petty criminals to be difficult to prosecute, then what chance do we have against proffessional, trained, funded, terrorists?
Mon 02/08/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> Which means that maybe you don't notice the guy in the shopping
> centre spraying water on the plastic plants who looks out of place.
> You don't notice the guy bundled up in a thick coat when it's warm.
-----

[URL]http://www.sci.tamucc.edu/~sterba/trip/5.14.jpg[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.