GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is all this Reassuring?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/07/04 at 20:21
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Taking a step-aside from all this "Manhunt" madness for two-minutes, I'm interested to see what people's opinions are on all this 'extra fuss' being made over the possibility of a Terrorist Attack on our country (sorry, "Emergency") and all the "safety measures" being thrown in our faces like on-line Junk Mail.

Soon enough, we'll have booklets and all-sorts flooding through our doors...

To go with that, we've even got adverts plastered all over our TVs and the media, allerting us of how important these will be, and what we should do when they do arrive (it doesn't even take an idiot to figure out how to read a book, y'know...).

And now, there's a new Thursday night series starting on SkyOne, just to top it all off!

But, why now? Why not another year-or-two-ago, back in the aftermath of unforgettable 9/11? Is there something we should know...?

When all else about video-game violence and Sven-Goran Eriksson's bedroom antics eventually die down, surely people will begin to feel a little uneasy when they realise how "over-cautious" the Goverment has suddenly become on such a matter...

If they're gonna make this much fuss now, should they as well give us a date, a time and a place to go with it??
Wed 04/08/04 at 19:10
Regular
The advert just puts loads of safety signs on the screen 'little clips of the general public going about their day ignoring them' then goes on to say something like "There are some things we have in life as guidelines to help us, if the time should ever come... yada yada." Then goes on to say that the guidelines being sent to us should be used in an emergency and so on.

In fact, the very last thing said is something along the lines of "Now go about your lives as normal." I can almost hear Bill Hicks manically laughing after saying it.
Wed 04/08/04 at 18:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> The tv advert for that is great.
> "Please. Don't panic. Please. It'll all be fine."
> It would have been more subtle to put hypnotic spinning circles on
> the screen, chanting 'everything is ok' over and over.
--------

Haven't seen it but I hear that mantra in the HAL voice, softly whispering that all is well as it slowly cycles down and dooooown aaaannnddd dooooooowwwwwwnnnnnnn.

I wonder if anybody (outside of Daily Mail readers, Belldandy and other apologists for Blair who are strangely silent since the advent of Gulf War 2:This time it's personnel) actually falls for this horseshit?

PANICPANICPANICPANIC!!!!!!!!!!!
Uh-huh
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Ultimacy Thrills wrote:
"Its fate that one day we will all die, but why make it a scare that we are going to die earlier?"
-----

There's a BIG difference between the end of your Life and having your Life taken-away from you, you know...!
Wed 04/08/04 at 15:00
Regular
The tv advert for that is great.

"Please. Don't panic. Please. It'll all be fine."

It would have been more subtle to put hypnotic spinning circles on the screen, chanting 'everything is ok' over and over.
Wed 04/08/04 at 14:34
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Duck and cover will save us.
Wed 04/08/04 at 13:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What makes me laugh and treat this "threat" with the seriousness it deserves is the advice being offered.
Buy tinned food/bottled water and, in the likely-to-happen-in-a-mo event of a Muslim Terrordeathkill attack?
Stay indoors until the all clear is given.
Yeah, because I know my home is a hermitically sealed environment able to withstand chemical attacks, as I'm sure yours is.

Terrorkilldeath warning/leaflet issued in the midst of The Butler report criticising the govt & intelligence agencies.
Joe Public stops watching Great Home Videos!!! and thinks "hang on a minute, we're being bent over the chair and bullyrammed here by Blair and Bush", starts to question and think.
What happens?
"STAY INSIDE! BUY WATER! PROTECT YOUR WHITE FAMILY AND KIDS!"

Build up to Gulf War:The Sequel, a million people march and endless articles say (with alarming accuracy given the reports a year later) there's no reason to invade Iraq on the reasons offered.
What happens?
"TANKS AT HEATHROW!! RICIN DEATHBOMB!!"

Keep your leaflets, keep your alarmist threats, keep your attempts to make me fear my neighbours and anybody not Christian anglo-saxon.
I'll continue not believing a single goddam word we're told by lying, murdering beurocrats that order thousands of troops to war without a thought for what might happen.
Belldandy can keep spying on plant-waterers and muslim traffic wardens.
Blair can keep trying to make me scared for my future whilst he grins and sits safely in a position of power.
Bush can win his 2nd term, agreed by the people that put him in power in the 1st place if he invaded Iraq.

Oh yeah there's a threat alright. A threat to your personal freedoms and your children's ability to trust and accept non-whites.
Tue 03/08/04 at 21:32
Regular
"cachoo"
Ultimacy Thrills wrote:
> Leaflets should not be given out unless its absolutely necessary and
> the government are absolutely certain that a war will arise.

Ooo, pessimist! *hiss* ;)

It is necessary though, isn't it? Doesn't matter if a war is on it's way or not, people need to be warned. And now is just about the right time for people to feel at least a tiny bit more calm that they know what to do in that kind of situation. Although, I think it'll make panic.. :) Panic is good. gooood

> Its fate that one day we will all die, but why make it a scare that
> we are going to die earlier?

Make it a scare earlier so we can try to live and be a tiny bit more prepared?!

It's spreading though.. There's courses at my workplace just been introduced within the past month about what to do if you receive a bomb-threat and the 'colours' the alert thingys go to.. Loverly. It was quite intresting, though!
Tue 03/08/04 at 21:16
Regular
""It's me u want""
Oh please, we have had warnings like every year. One year we got a warning that a meteorite was going to hit the world, another year we got a warning about a tidal wave, another year we got a warning about nuclear strike. It seems that every year we get a warning! But were still here.
Whats the point in sending out safety and emergency leaflets? We are going to get like a 1 or 2 minute warning before a nuclear weapon strikes, by that time we will not have time to get to safety or anything of the sort. All it does is cause panic for the solcredulists and drink companies like "Abby Well" and "Volvic" have a profit rise as more and more people are going to buy the product in fear that the whole main water supply will be contaminated. Well were all probably going to die anyway even if we did have a warning!
Leaflets should not be given out unless its absolutely necessary and the government are absolutely certain that a war will arise. We have had chemical war threats in the past, but look what has come of it?
Its fate that one day we will all die, but why make it a scare that we are going to die earlier?
Stupid puppet Tony Blair.
Tue 03/08/04 at 20:45
Regular
It's tough to know how much is genuine threat and how much is opportunistic manipulation.

Clearly Bush's latest outburst reeks of trying to counter Kerry's claim to being the most competent in terms of national defence.

But it still seems likely that there was genuine (and more significant than 'normal' minor unbased rumours) intelligence suggesting an attack.

I have no idea how big it is though.

Over here, Blair must know he has to make the terror threat seem legitimate if he's going to keep control of his party, let alone the coutry, come election time.
I'm sure that labour's spin wouldn't miss the opportunity for strategic overblowing of certain threats at certain times.
I figure it's likely that the 'don't panic, but everyone's trying to kill you' campaign is a measure to step up that spin when there wasn't a suitable threat in the pipeline to manipulate.

Then again, a lot of you have seen the film Cube, right?
Their non-conspiracy theory: 'There is no secret conspiracy, just people sitting at their desks, doing their jobs. And it just.. happens.'

Maybe that's how our booklet got started, some civil servant thought it sounded like a good idea. A few people got to talking about it, and nobody said 'no'. And without any real design or direction, it just stumbled into this thing that happened.

Maybe.
Tue 03/08/04 at 14:56
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Least we will never have to live in fear of any car bombings. Terrorists wouldn't get close to where they wanted with our ever vigilant coppers on the road :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.