GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doomed to Success-It all began with doom!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/04/01 at 10:54
Regular
There's so much to say about Doom,that it's difficult to know where to start.Wrapped in controversy,the bloody battles of a nameless space marine against an invading alien horde were chronicled in what can be considered one of the greatest,if not the greatest PC action game ever.To put it simply,Doom changed the way computer games are played and designed.The premise is simple:Shoot everything that moves.As a space marine stranded alone,it's up to you to wade through the freshly killed corpses of invading aliens as you mow down even more horrid and evil creatures to save mankind.Along the way, you have to dodge hot lava,search for hidden key cards,flip countless switches—and,above all,stay alive.Looking back now,it's almost laughable to think that you couldn't even jump,per se,in Doom.Still,Doom's gameplay has spawned many derivative games(mostly poor imitations)and a host of sequels,as well as provided the basis for modern classics like Unreal Tournament.In addition,the variety of weapons—from the lowly pistol to the rocket launcher—are all established as standards in first-person shooters these days.And don't forget the chainsaw!Adding a chainsaw to your arsenal of weapons was simply a stroke of tongue-in-cheek genius.While Doom wasn't the first game to feature a chainsaw(The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the Atari 2600 had you slice and dice with a gas-guzzling saw),there hasn't been a game since to feature one.Too bad,because wielding a chainsaw in Doom was almost too fun to be legal.Aside from what were then cutting-edge graphics and frenetic gameplay,Doom featured an incredible MIDI soundtrack that was perfectly matched to the pace of the game.The eerie and haunting music alternated with a driving panicked beat,melding into an unforgettable audio experience.The Doom soundtrack was a milestone and composer Robert Prince's magnum opus.Of course,a game that featured so much blood inevitably drew controversy.Not that a game that ran at 640x480 could be considered "realistic violence" really.Blocky red pixels of blood and green goo are hardly worth getting excited over.But still,the lumps of guts left over after each kill were particularly gruesome,even by today's standards.And who could forget the bunny head on a stake at the end of the game?Doom also started the multiplayer online craze and is almost single-handedly responsible for coining the term "deathmatch."Playing a multiplayer game of Doom with your buddies or even anonymous folks from all over the country was relatively simple.Now multiplayer is a standard feature.But Doom's multiplayer games showed some technical prowess,too:Even on a 14.4 modem,Doom was fast and nimble,and there was hardly anything as bad as the slowdown encountered in today's online multiplayer games.Doom-heads working in companies the world over loved to gather together for a quick lunch break game,and,because Doom polled every computer on the network almost constantly to see if it was running Doom,one game could bring a corporate network to its knees.Doom became the scourge of IT Directors,and many banned it completely.In any case,Doom continued to survive and even flourish,spawning even better deathmatch play in Doom II and the 3D sequel,Quake.So,in retrospect,Doom was the begginning of shoot em' ups(or decent ones anyway).

I've written 2 reviews this morning and now this.Lord(and oh mighty Tony)please send a Gameaday to my house.I'm trying to write more reviews and interesting posts now.More coming later(if I don't get hand cramps).
Tue 01/05/01 at 20:50
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Thanx again man!
Tue 01/05/01 at 20:30
Regular
No Problem :)

It's hard to make an original post, and to be honest, it's been ages since I saw anything like this on any discussion board! (And I'm a member to a few...however this ones the best!)

So it's close enough to original. Plus the fact that it's not just a re-post of something ages ago means that it's worth some recognition, and the amount of replies shows it was a good topic!
Tue 01/05/01 at 07:12
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Thanx Edgy
Mon 30/04/01 at 23:28
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Sniper wrote:
> Looks chunkified! Include this Shaneo, spaces, commas, and
> spelling.

Sniper meant to write:
> Looks chunkified! Include this Shaneo: spaces, commas, spelling, and correct punctuation.
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:04
Regular
(Sorry about the double post)....
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:03
Regular
Sniper wrote:
> Oh so original topics i see.....

Sniper, you hardly ever post any new topics, so until you do...don't even attempt to judge others!
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:00
yeh probably
Mon 30/04/01 at 19:18
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Does this make me the last guy to chat to you?
Mon 30/04/01 at 19:17
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
5 mins until ur removed from cyberspace "temporarily" apparently
Mon 30/04/01 at 19:16
Regular
I will return to take my right from space as the supreme power of the universe!!!!!!!!

Exterminate, Exterminate, Exterminate!!!!!!!!!1

I will be back the question is...

When.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.