GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next-gen war who will win?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/04/01 at 09:19
Regular
The next-gen war. Sounds impressive doesn't it, kind of conjures up images of spacecrafts firing plasma-guns at each other whilst trying not to crash into Saturn, no, maybe its just me. Anyway back to the real next-gen war. This 'war' will be fought out by 4 companies all with their different consoles;

Sony Playstation 2
Nintendo Game Cube
Microsoft X-box
Sega Dreamcast

So the competitors have been named so lets put them in a ring and see who wins...unfortunately it is not like that any more. Consoles and the gaming industry in general mean BIG money nowadays as gaming has really took off and is now a totally accepted past time just like watching TV. The four manufacturers of the next-gen consoles will all be trying their hardest to make sure that their console will come out on top and be the next Sony Playstation, dominating the market for years to come. The face and future of gaming will inevitably be changed by these next-gen consoles but whether this will be a good thing is still worrying me.

What first pops in to your head when I say the word "console"? I would think it would probably be games as consoles and games are synonymous and inextricably linked together. What is a console for? Playing games, that’s an easy question. So why are the four console makers determined to change this with DVD players and possible add-ons such as hard drives and keyboards? Most people who possess a console also on a PC, why? I think it is probably because they want to associate their games console with fun and enjoyment but buy the occasional god-game on the PC as well as using it for non-gaming related purposes. So why are the next-gen consoles trying to change this? I don't want a hard drive or keyboard or any other PC related peripheral attached to my console, I just want to be able to turn it on and have a good blast on a really entertaining game!

This growing trend towards creating a hybrid PC/Console is worrying and saddening me. Ok I can perfectly understand the merits of adding a DVD player into a games console; in fact this is an absolutely superb idea. Another good thing that the next-gen consoles will bring to the gaming scene is the advent of playing on your console over the Internet. This is another excellent idea as everybody will be on an even playing field with all the benefits of internet gaming without the PC related downfalls e.g. different ping/lag times. Unfortunately some PC gamers can not accept that flat playing field and have got into the Dreamcast internet games using their faster connection PC's, shame on them.

So having said that I do not feel that consoles should be going the way of the PC I will leave it there on that subject only to come back to it to vent my anger if consoles become total PCs in the next 30 years! Right, back to the next-gen console war and who will win it. This is impossible to say as not all of the next-gen consoles have been released yet however lets go through the advantages and disadvantages of each console in turn;

The Sega Dreamcast

This console is seen by many as the last attempt to save the once prestigious Sega brand from going the way of the Amiga and Panasonic's 3DO (don't worry if you can't remember this, you're not alone). As we all know the Sega Saturn was a big flop and this was the primary reason that I, along with many others did not purchase a Dreamcast when it initially came out. I think Sega made a brave choice to release their console before the PS2. If the PS2 had been the first next-gen console on the market I wouldn't be here writing this opinion. This is because the Playstation one had built up a massive fan base. If the PS2 had been first on the scene I suspect that most of PS1 owners (70 odd million in total) would have snapped up the PS2 meaning game over for the other next-gen consoles.

Sega introduced their console earlier than the others in the hope to capture a fan base before its rivals came on to the scene. A plus point of this is that it gave Sega a fairly good chance of capturing at least a small corner of gamers. The main disadvantage of being first console out is that the Dreamcast is of slightly lower specification than its competitors, then again so was the PS1. There can be no question that the Dreamcast is a good console but unfortunately for Sega they did not include a DVD player which they may be regretting if this tips the balance in PS2's and X-box's favour. The main thing that concerns me now about the Dreamcast is the severe drop in price and a new lower pricing strategy for the games available. This is good news for Dreamcast owners but it seems to me as if Sega are conceding losing the next-gen war and are concentrating on pulling in gamers on a tight budget who may not be able to afford the PS2 (£300) and the other two imminent arrivals. Maybe I am being slightly pessimistic when I consider that the Dreamcast is not a strong challenger to win the next-gen war but it is not very likely that it will especially as Sega are due to stop production of the Dreamcast very soon.

Sony Playstation 2

The advantages of this console are obvious, firstly the huge number of gamers who own and cherish the PS1. If these gamers decide to be loyal to Sony it will be a big step towards them winning the next-gen war. The PS2 comes equipped with a fairly decent DVD player, OK it is not the best but what do you expect from a side feature of a GAMES console that costs £300? Sony decided to promote the launch of the PS2 amidst a blaze of publicity and hype and the very strange advertising. This hype may cause the PS2 to seem like a disappointment for many buyers, as expectations could be a little too high. The PS2 sold more consoles on its arrival here in the UK than the Dreamcast did which is promising for Sony although the initial games seem to be a bit below par with the exception of the sublime SSX. I do not see this as a major problem for Sony and the PS2 as the first PS1 games were not as impressive either and with big game launches planned such as Metal Gear 2 and GT3 I am sure Sony will overcome this.

The PS2 has a rather strange disadvantage as it is seen as a sequel console by many and this may cause a slight problem, as it cannot rely on the PS1’s success. As I highlighted in my retro games opinion, if Sony relies on sequels of PS1 games to boost sales and doesn’t produce any brand new groundbreaking games on the PS2 Sony could be in for a shock. Another disadvantage is that there have already been murmurs of developers finding it hard to programme games for the PS2 and remember this was one of the things that held the N64 back. I personally feel that the PS2 will be up there at the top of the next-gen consoles as long as they can command the respect of the games developers once again and hope that Nintendo or Microsoft don’t have too many surprises up their sleeves.

Microsoft X-box

This is something of an unknown quantity as it is Microsoft’s first foray into the world of computer consoles. Obviously the massive computer company will be throwing money at its X-box to ensure its success. The X-box will come with a DVD player and Internet gaming will be possible. However Microsoft may not create Internet gaming solely for console owners, which may take the fun away from it. As the X-box is from the stable of the computer giants Microsoft you can expect very high specifications from this machine. Microsoft should be able to get the developers to make great games for this console and it is a superior spec machine when compared to the PS2, which could get more gamers buying it. As ever it’s the games that make the console great which means that Microsoft will need some excellent release games to ensure it can compete, as the PS2 will already be firmly established at the top spot…probably.

Nintendo Game Cube

My knowledge of this console is very limited but as Nintendo makes it it is sure to be a very strong console. If Nintendo are to have more success with this console than they did with the N64 they will have to closely monitor the quality of the games that hit the shelves to ensure only good games reach this point. This lack of screening games badly affected the N64, as there were a large number of very poor games available for it. The Nintendo Game cube could be at a bit of a disadvantage as its release date makes it the last next-gen console to appear in the UK and by that date who knows what may have happened already? The rumours have been abound that if the GameCube is not very well recieved when it is paraded out at the E3 show that Nintendo will scrap the idea completely.

So which console will win the next-gen war?

The fact is that there is no definite answer as anything can happen in the world of gaming but for now my money’s on the PS2 to defend Sony’s reign at the top of the console world.

There is one thing that we can be certain of, the future of gaming looks set to literally blow away our conceptions of great games and whatever happens...Happy Gaming.

Sun 29/04/01 at 09:19
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
The next-gen war. Sounds impressive doesn't it, kind of conjures up images of spacecrafts firing plasma-guns at each other whilst trying not to crash into Saturn, no, maybe its just me. Anyway back to the real next-gen war. This 'war' will be fought out by 4 companies all with their different consoles;

Sony Playstation 2
Nintendo Game Cube
Microsoft X-box
Sega Dreamcast

So the competitors have been named so lets put them in a ring and see who wins...unfortunately it is not like that any more. Consoles and the gaming industry in general mean BIG money nowadays as gaming has really took off and is now a totally accepted past time just like watching TV. The four manufacturers of the next-gen consoles will all be trying their hardest to make sure that their console will come out on top and be the next Sony Playstation, dominating the market for years to come. The face and future of gaming will inevitably be changed by these next-gen consoles but whether this will be a good thing is still worrying me.

What first pops in to your head when I say the word "console"? I would think it would probably be games as consoles and games are synonymous and inextricably linked together. What is a console for? Playing games, that’s an easy question. So why are the four console makers determined to change this with DVD players and possible add-ons such as hard drives and keyboards? Most people who possess a console also on a PC, why? I think it is probably because they want to associate their games console with fun and enjoyment but buy the occasional god-game on the PC as well as using it for non-gaming related purposes. So why are the next-gen consoles trying to change this? I don't want a hard drive or keyboard or any other PC related peripheral attached to my console, I just want to be able to turn it on and have a good blast on a really entertaining game!

This growing trend towards creating a hybrid PC/Console is worrying and saddening me. Ok I can perfectly understand the merits of adding a DVD player into a games console; in fact this is an absolutely superb idea. Another good thing that the next-gen consoles will bring to the gaming scene is the advent of playing on your console over the Internet. This is another excellent idea as everybody will be on an even playing field with all the benefits of internet gaming without the PC related downfalls e.g. different ping/lag times. Unfortunately some PC gamers can not accept that flat playing field and have got into the Dreamcast internet games using their faster connection PC's, shame on them.

So having said that I do not feel that consoles should be going the way of the PC I will leave it there on that subject only to come back to it to vent my anger if consoles become total PCs in the next 30 years! Right, back to the next-gen console war and who will win it. This is impossible to say as not all of the next-gen consoles have been released yet however lets go through the advantages and disadvantages of each console in turn;

The Sega Dreamcast

This console is seen by many as the last attempt to save the once prestigious Sega brand from going the way of the Amiga and Panasonic's 3DO (don't worry if you can't remember this, you're not alone). As we all know the Sega Saturn was a big flop and this was the primary reason that I, along with many others did not purchase a Dreamcast when it initially came out. I think Sega made a brave choice to release their console before the PS2. If the PS2 had been the first next-gen console on the market I wouldn't be here writing this opinion. This is because the Playstation one had built up a massive fan base. If the PS2 had been first on the scene I suspect that most of PS1 owners (70 odd million in total) would have snapped up the PS2 meaning game over for the other next-gen consoles.

Sega introduced their console earlier than the others in the hope to capture a fan base before its rivals came on to the scene. A plus point of this is that it gave Sega a fairly good chance of capturing at least a small corner of gamers. The main disadvantage of being first console out is that the Dreamcast is of slightly lower specification than its competitors, then again so was the PS1. There can be no question that the Dreamcast is a good console but unfortunately for Sega they did not include a DVD player which they may be regretting if this tips the balance in PS2's and X-box's favour. The main thing that concerns me now about the Dreamcast is the severe drop in price and a new lower pricing strategy for the games available. This is good news for Dreamcast owners but it seems to me as if Sega are conceding losing the next-gen war and are concentrating on pulling in gamers on a tight budget who may not be able to afford the PS2 (£300) and the other two imminent arrivals. Maybe I am being slightly pessimistic when I consider that the Dreamcast is not a strong challenger to win the next-gen war but it is not very likely that it will especially as Sega are due to stop production of the Dreamcast very soon.

Sony Playstation 2

The advantages of this console are obvious, firstly the huge number of gamers who own and cherish the PS1. If these gamers decide to be loyal to Sony it will be a big step towards them winning the next-gen war. The PS2 comes equipped with a fairly decent DVD player, OK it is not the best but what do you expect from a side feature of a GAMES console that costs £300? Sony decided to promote the launch of the PS2 amidst a blaze of publicity and hype and the very strange advertising. This hype may cause the PS2 to seem like a disappointment for many buyers, as expectations could be a little too high. The PS2 sold more consoles on its arrival here in the UK than the Dreamcast did which is promising for Sony although the initial games seem to be a bit below par with the exception of the sublime SSX. I do not see this as a major problem for Sony and the PS2 as the first PS1 games were not as impressive either and with big game launches planned such as Metal Gear 2 and GT3 I am sure Sony will overcome this.

The PS2 has a rather strange disadvantage as it is seen as a sequel console by many and this may cause a slight problem, as it cannot rely on the PS1’s success. As I highlighted in my retro games opinion, if Sony relies on sequels of PS1 games to boost sales and doesn’t produce any brand new groundbreaking games on the PS2 Sony could be in for a shock. Another disadvantage is that there have already been murmurs of developers finding it hard to programme games for the PS2 and remember this was one of the things that held the N64 back. I personally feel that the PS2 will be up there at the top of the next-gen consoles as long as they can command the respect of the games developers once again and hope that Nintendo or Microsoft don’t have too many surprises up their sleeves.

Microsoft X-box

This is something of an unknown quantity as it is Microsoft’s first foray into the world of computer consoles. Obviously the massive computer company will be throwing money at its X-box to ensure its success. The X-box will come with a DVD player and Internet gaming will be possible. However Microsoft may not create Internet gaming solely for console owners, which may take the fun away from it. As the X-box is from the stable of the computer giants Microsoft you can expect very high specifications from this machine. Microsoft should be able to get the developers to make great games for this console and it is a superior spec machine when compared to the PS2, which could get more gamers buying it. As ever it’s the games that make the console great which means that Microsoft will need some excellent release games to ensure it can compete, as the PS2 will already be firmly established at the top spot…probably.

Nintendo Game Cube

My knowledge of this console is very limited but as Nintendo makes it it is sure to be a very strong console. If Nintendo are to have more success with this console than they did with the N64 they will have to closely monitor the quality of the games that hit the shelves to ensure only good games reach this point. This lack of screening games badly affected the N64, as there were a large number of very poor games available for it. The Nintendo Game cube could be at a bit of a disadvantage as its release date makes it the last next-gen console to appear in the UK and by that date who knows what may have happened already? The rumours have been abound that if the GameCube is not very well recieved when it is paraded out at the E3 show that Nintendo will scrap the idea completely.

So which console will win the next-gen war?

The fact is that there is no definite answer as anything can happen in the world of gaming but for now my money’s on the PS2 to defend Sony’s reign at the top of the console world.

There is one thing that we can be certain of, the future of gaming looks set to literally blow away our conceptions of great games and whatever happens...Happy Gaming.

Sun 29/04/01 at 09:27
Regular
GC will win due to Nintendo's skill and 3rd party support.
Sun 29/04/01 at 09:28
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
X-Box all the way baby!Good post mate!
Sun 29/04/01 at 15:29
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Another console V console post - Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh !!! ;-)
I dunno who will win at the moment, I'm guessing it'll be between Sony and Microsoft mainly. Nintendo might throw in a surprise though, but they have to get a lot of people to come back to them. Dunno how they'll do that but it'll take more than Mario and Pokemon when a large number of gamers prefer the likes of Gran Turismo and MGS. Conkers is good though ;-)

Sun 29/04/01 at 16:44
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Is this a joke? The PS2 has already won, it's broken records with it's sales, plus it's got over a years head start on the GC, once again, and look what that did to the N64. Does anyone think the DC still has a chance?
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:21
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I wouldn't underestimate the X-box if I were you fogmaster, it seems pretty good at the moment and the PS2 hasn't already won. It will take a lot more sales to ensure its victory
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:30
"possibly impossible"
Hopefully none.

If one console 'wins' the 'war' of consoles, then it implies that this is harming the other consoles in some way. To have one manufactuer making all the decisions and controlling the scene would be a very bad thing for gaming.

Sega created a fantastic console, but lack of advertising alone meant that it didn't sell as well as they hoped, despite (in my opinion) having the best games line up of a console so far) Luckily Sega made a good decision by making its games available to other platforms, meaning that we don't lose one of the best games companies in history all because of some lousy mistakes on one part and bullying tactics on another. I don't want any other console to go the same way.

Currently I'm saving for a Gamecube. This is my console of choice, but given a larger budget and larger house, I'd go for them all.
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:41
Regular
"everyone says it"
You can't predict the future, no seriously you can't, this topic has been brought up so many times in the FOG that it just follows with a guessing game, if somebody had told me a year ago that SEGA would work happily with Nintendo I would have brought a fish from a shop and slapped them in the face.

This market is way to volatile to predict, you can't guess or make predictions on what is going to happen, obviously being a huge Nintendo fan my money in on them, Sony have an open market at the moment, everything in Europe is working, but not in the rest of the world, Nintendo are dominating in Japan, and the N64 is still selling in the US (I don't understand either). SONY are selling over here and that is it. The GBA is selling out everyday in Japan, shops get a hundred in everyweek and in minutes they are gone, some people buy five and go outside that shop and sell them on.
With this king of market bubbling around us, a slight twist or turn one way or the other could mean the end of a company, SONY have made mistakes, Nintendo have made mistakes, and now even Microsoft have made mistakes and they aren't even in the market officially yet.

The X-Box is having troubles in Japan, SONY are having troubles with 3rd party companies, and Pokemon and GB's are keeping Nintendo ahead of there rivals, SEGA have moved out of the market and are backing the GC all the way, infact most companies are backing the GC all the way, it is the onlt next generation console, that plays next generation games, now just remember that word 'console' remember that and we will see who wins the console war, because whether SONY fans or Microsoft fans like it or not, the company need a strongely backed console to win. Nintendo have that support, Nintendo have learnt from the errors of there ways, and Nintendo now have SEGA.

I don't hate SONY, infact I believe that without them the games world would not be anywhere near as big as it is today, give SONY credit, they started this whole FOG war off, the pulled the trigger and SEGA were too slow, Nintendo reacted with a sheild that was dented, Microsoft is now joining in instead of the dead SEGA.

Lets just watch and wait shall we, because just like the westerns that Clintwood used to be in, this gaming western is all about who pulls the trigger first, and westerns are films that you just can't predict....

Thanks for reading
er-no
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:46
Dreamcast has admitted defeat thanks to the arrival of PS2. My only prediction for the future is that PS2 stands a better chance of survival against X-Box and GC than Dreamcast against PS2.

But who knows how things will turn out?

Mabye my own console the 'Super Mega Brickwithbatteriesstucktoit' will win!
Sun 29/04/01 at 17:47
Regular
"everyone says it"
ohhh, how much??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.