GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next-gen war who will win?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/04/01 at 09:19
Regular
The next-gen war. Sounds impressive doesn't it, kind of conjures up images of spacecrafts firing plasma-guns at each other whilst trying not to crash into Saturn, no, maybe its just me. Anyway back to the real next-gen war. This 'war' will be fought out by 4 companies all with their different consoles;

Sony Playstation 2
Nintendo Game Cube
Microsoft X-box
Sega Dreamcast

So the competitors have been named so lets put them in a ring and see who wins...unfortunately it is not like that any more. Consoles and the gaming industry in general mean BIG money nowadays as gaming has really took off and is now a totally accepted past time just like watching TV. The four manufacturers of the next-gen consoles will all be trying their hardest to make sure that their console will come out on top and be the next Sony Playstation, dominating the market for years to come. The face and future of gaming will inevitably be changed by these next-gen consoles but whether this will be a good thing is still worrying me.

What first pops in to your head when I say the word "console"? I would think it would probably be games as consoles and games are synonymous and inextricably linked together. What is a console for? Playing games, that’s an easy question. So why are the four console makers determined to change this with DVD players and possible add-ons such as hard drives and keyboards? Most people who possess a console also on a PC, why? I think it is probably because they want to associate their games console with fun and enjoyment but buy the occasional god-game on the PC as well as using it for non-gaming related purposes. So why are the next-gen consoles trying to change this? I don't want a hard drive or keyboard or any other PC related peripheral attached to my console, I just want to be able to turn it on and have a good blast on a really entertaining game!

This growing trend towards creating a hybrid PC/Console is worrying and saddening me. Ok I can perfectly understand the merits of adding a DVD player into a games console; in fact this is an absolutely superb idea. Another good thing that the next-gen consoles will bring to the gaming scene is the advent of playing on your console over the Internet. This is another excellent idea as everybody will be on an even playing field with all the benefits of internet gaming without the PC related downfalls e.g. different ping/lag times. Unfortunately some PC gamers can not accept that flat playing field and have got into the Dreamcast internet games using their faster connection PC's, shame on them.

So having said that I do not feel that consoles should be going the way of the PC I will leave it there on that subject only to come back to it to vent my anger if consoles become total PCs in the next 30 years! Right, back to the next-gen console war and who will win it. This is impossible to say as not all of the next-gen consoles have been released yet however lets go through the advantages and disadvantages of each console in turn;

The Sega Dreamcast

This console is seen by many as the last attempt to save the once prestigious Sega brand from going the way of the Amiga and Panasonic's 3DO (don't worry if you can't remember this, you're not alone). As we all know the Sega Saturn was a big flop and this was the primary reason that I, along with many others did not purchase a Dreamcast when it initially came out. I think Sega made a brave choice to release their console before the PS2. If the PS2 had been the first next-gen console on the market I wouldn't be here writing this opinion. This is because the Playstation one had built up a massive fan base. If the PS2 had been first on the scene I suspect that most of PS1 owners (70 odd million in total) would have snapped up the PS2 meaning game over for the other next-gen consoles.

Sega introduced their console earlier than the others in the hope to capture a fan base before its rivals came on to the scene. A plus point of this is that it gave Sega a fairly good chance of capturing at least a small corner of gamers. The main disadvantage of being first console out is that the Dreamcast is of slightly lower specification than its competitors, then again so was the PS1. There can be no question that the Dreamcast is a good console but unfortunately for Sega they did not include a DVD player which they may be regretting if this tips the balance in PS2's and X-box's favour. The main thing that concerns me now about the Dreamcast is the severe drop in price and a new lower pricing strategy for the games available. This is good news for Dreamcast owners but it seems to me as if Sega are conceding losing the next-gen war and are concentrating on pulling in gamers on a tight budget who may not be able to afford the PS2 (£300) and the other two imminent arrivals. Maybe I am being slightly pessimistic when I consider that the Dreamcast is not a strong challenger to win the next-gen war but it is not very likely that it will especially as Sega are due to stop production of the Dreamcast very soon.

Sony Playstation 2

The advantages of this console are obvious, firstly the huge number of gamers who own and cherish the PS1. If these gamers decide to be loyal to Sony it will be a big step towards them winning the next-gen war. The PS2 comes equipped with a fairly decent DVD player, OK it is not the best but what do you expect from a side feature of a GAMES console that costs £300? Sony decided to promote the launch of the PS2 amidst a blaze of publicity and hype and the very strange advertising. This hype may cause the PS2 to seem like a disappointment for many buyers, as expectations could be a little too high. The PS2 sold more consoles on its arrival here in the UK than the Dreamcast did which is promising for Sony although the initial games seem to be a bit below par with the exception of the sublime SSX. I do not see this as a major problem for Sony and the PS2 as the first PS1 games were not as impressive either and with big game launches planned such as Metal Gear 2 and GT3 I am sure Sony will overcome this.

The PS2 has a rather strange disadvantage as it is seen as a sequel console by many and this may cause a slight problem, as it cannot rely on the PS1’s success. As I highlighted in my retro games opinion, if Sony relies on sequels of PS1 games to boost sales and doesn’t produce any brand new groundbreaking games on the PS2 Sony could be in for a shock. Another disadvantage is that there have already been murmurs of developers finding it hard to programme games for the PS2 and remember this was one of the things that held the N64 back. I personally feel that the PS2 will be up there at the top of the next-gen consoles as long as they can command the respect of the games developers once again and hope that Nintendo or Microsoft don’t have too many surprises up their sleeves.

Microsoft X-box

This is something of an unknown quantity as it is Microsoft’s first foray into the world of computer consoles. Obviously the massive computer company will be throwing money at its X-box to ensure its success. The X-box will come with a DVD player and Internet gaming will be possible. However Microsoft may not create Internet gaming solely for console owners, which may take the fun away from it. As the X-box is from the stable of the computer giants Microsoft you can expect very high specifications from this machine. Microsoft should be able to get the developers to make great games for this console and it is a superior spec machine when compared to the PS2, which could get more gamers buying it. As ever it’s the games that make the console great which means that Microsoft will need some excellent release games to ensure it can compete, as the PS2 will already be firmly established at the top spot…probably.

Nintendo Game Cube

My knowledge of this console is very limited but as Nintendo makes it it is sure to be a very strong console. If Nintendo are to have more success with this console than they did with the N64 they will have to closely monitor the quality of the games that hit the shelves to ensure only good games reach this point. This lack of screening games badly affected the N64, as there were a large number of very poor games available for it. The Nintendo Game cube could be at a bit of a disadvantage as its release date makes it the last next-gen console to appear in the UK and by that date who knows what may have happened already? The rumours have been abound that if the GameCube is not very well recieved when it is paraded out at the E3 show that Nintendo will scrap the idea completely.

So which console will win the next-gen war?

The fact is that there is no definite answer as anything can happen in the world of gaming but for now my money’s on the PS2 to defend Sony’s reign at the top of the console world.

There is one thing that we can be certain of, the future of gaming looks set to literally blow away our conceptions of great games and whatever happens...Happy Gaming.

Tue 01/05/01 at 10:40
Well Ss(u)xpro (hehehe, that'll learn ya), if you had bothered to read the whole thing you might have noticed that it wasn't a dig against Sony alone, I said they'd all have unoriginal games. I was just using the old joke about infinite sequels to games on the Playstation because it fitted in nicely with the general tone of the post (plus it's not like there haven't been 64 Mario games). I also did say they would have some original games (at least one anyway). Now you tell me, do you honestly believe that MGS2 will be the last MGS? If it sells as well as it's meant to I seriously doubt they will just drop it and never make another one. The real thing is that they are a bit lazy on titles and things. There are many games which are just the same as their predecessors and tend to be nicely numbered, but what about things like Smackdown and Smackdown 2? Sure the sequel has a sub-title but Smackdown 2 is a great improvement on Smackdown is it not? In which case should it not deserve it's own unique title since it is in it's own right a unique game? What sony should do is hide the amount of sequels by having different titles and things to confuse and distract people who mention it because they see a game with the title Final Fantasy X. Of course no one complained about F-Zero X but then it was only the second F-Zero game (or was it third?). Anyway if every Final Fantasy game has it's own cast and seperate plot then why bother making them sequels? They could have it as a kind of Sub-heading "Final Fantasy... MAD BOB'S REVENGE" for example or as some sort of reference thing like "ATTACK OF THE KILLER GORGONZOLA (A Final Fantasy Game).
Anyway, as I said it wasn't a post exclusively against Sony you know, if you had bothered to read it all you would have realised that there were bad points to them all (I don't think I made the Nintendo ones as clear but it was first so I hadn't got into full swing). There ya go.
Mon 30/04/01 at 23:51
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Is a sequel still a sequel if it offers different characters?

What makes a sequel a sequel, and what makes a bad one. Come one, I want to hear absolutely everything everyone has to say about sequels ;)
Mon 30/04/01 at 22:37
Regular
To keep a game truly specail it should only be released once on a console.

I say this because, if the game was sooo good, then it is testing the console to the limit and to better it is very hard. Sequels always seem to lose their magic beacuse it is so hard to please after a game like MGS or Goldeneye.
Mon 30/04/01 at 21:42
Regular
I didn`t read the whole of grunting_v `s post, instead I stopped as soon as he mentioned the comments about sequels. How many times must this argument be put forward?

Final Fantasy 10 - Its the first on this console. It (as always) has a totally different cast, plot and even a whole new world. There were only three on PSone. That is about right. Things can be nice in threes :-).

Anyway, as for MGS2, why criticise only the second one? It is the first on PS2, and only the second of all time. What`s wrong with that?

As for GT3, I`ll admit that it has many similarities to its predecessors, but that is always the case with racers. It will still probably be the best racer to date.

If you wish I can go and get my list from my website of all the new PS2 titles for the year, which include a hefty number of non-sequel titles.
Mon 30/04/01 at 21:24
I will sheepy, want a photo in there too? (:)
Mon 30/04/01 at 21:00
Regular
"Excommunicated"
"The one with the most cheese shall rule them all" :)

You can quote me on that!
Mon 30/04/01 at 20:58
The funny thing is that it's not really a war at all. Sure people say "This console is going to dominate and outlast all others, it's going to be the best!" But really, all it means is that there's something for everyone. You have your Game Cube from old reliable, bound to bring out some great platformers and with plenty of other titles such as Perfect Dark to choose from too. Then you have your PS2 with it's new hip and happenin bits and pieces including FinalFantasy CLXXVI, Gran Turismo: Again but better, Metal Gear solid "so forth" and of course whatever new and original game or games it manages to acquire. Up next is Sega with their (oops, no console yet) who will no doubt not be making one for some time (again), but if they do it's bound to have some fun zany (if unoriginal) games and a few new ideas out of the hat. Finally (until someone else joins in) we have the X-Box from the lord Billy himself, never having done consoles before we can expect an amazing similarity to all things PC, games intended for the PC will be it's main supply and several ports that go back and forth, all seeming a little pointless but a good way to get quickly into a game that would normally take some time to load because their super snappy new OS Windows-X (no doubt) which loads at great speeds (shame about the bugs though.

Well anyway, there you have it. Pick a console to suit your needs and then wait for the next group of ravening hordes to come charging into the field of battle in an attempt to take thier place as rightful owner of you as a customer.
Mon 30/04/01 at 18:16
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
ssxpro wrote:
> With Japan not liking the X-box, that limits the amount of success
> it will have, but doesn`t destroy it. I hope that each console will
> do well, encouraging good game developement.

I didn't know it was only Japan who wasn't too fond of X-Box, i'm sure there are loads of people in the UK who don't like X-Box, and therefor not buy one.

Oviously I favour
> Sony, but that is my opinion, not everybody`s. We`ll have to wait
> and see which way this goes, then discuss it again in a years time.
> Now is too early to make good predictions.

I have a prediction. Dreamcast will stop making games but will be played by people for years to come, all consoles will survive for at least 3 years... the story will be the same as the PSX and the N64 for Nintendo and Sony... no-one will win the "war" instead it will be very successful and everone will be happy and make eachother cups of tea.

Also, the Game Boy Advance will sell more than the original GameBoy...then again only time will tell.
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:23
Regular
With Japan not liking the X-box, that limits the amount of success it will have, but doesn`t destroy it. I hope that each console will do well, encouraging good game developement.

Oviously I favour Sony, but that is my opinion, not everybody`s. We`ll have to wait and see which way this goes, then discuss it again in a years time. Now is too early to make good predictions.
Mon 30/04/01 at 17:23
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
lol I only did it so sum1 would look at my original thing...hehehehe it worked

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.