GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manhunt"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Manhunt'.
Tue 08/02/05 at 19:41
Regular
"8==="
Simple genius.
Wed 09/02/05 at 21:04
Regular
"8==="
It's a good break from Splinter Cell with large areas and gameplay that's not placing realism over fun. I've got to the Mall now - the sootouts are fantastic, I thought it'd be just 'run and gun' but the whole 'take cover and time your shots' gameplay works extremely well. The way the game develops over time is very nicely done.

This is certainly a more hardcore (in terms of gameplay, quality and gameplay) offering than Max Payne or GTA3, I'm very impressed that Rockstar could pull this off and I have more respect for them as a result.
Wed 09/02/05 at 17:09
Regular
It was Alastair who persuaded me to get it for the PS2.

Im gonna try and play through it again, it would make a great movie though. There would have to be more details about the gangs and the structure of territory etc.
Wed 09/02/05 at 16:25
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I think their will be a sequel anyway. I'm sure I saw a preview for 'manhunt; escape from new york' or something like that. Twas about a year ago now on gamespot or somewhere.
Wed 09/02/05 at 13:17
Regular
I love it. Planning on going back through it over the next week or so.

Pretty much all my likes/dislikes have been convered by others in this thread. I thought the stealth aspects were very well implemented, the executions were awesome, the settings were fantastic, the characters look the mutties nutties, the guy having a ___ with a nail gun, the swearing, the snuff style atmosphere. Tis excellent, it feels like a good old fashioned Japanese snuff movie.
Wed 09/02/05 at 13:01
Regular
That's BS.

I liked the game simply for the setting and the dirty feel to it and also the game play. It had much better atmosphere than any of the other stealth games I've played. The graphics were deliberatly murky to give it that dirty kind of snuff movie feel.

The violence while entertaining for a couple of levels was really a bit "been there, chopped someones head off before" after a while. I found the games increase in difficulty later on meant it was much more reliant on skill and old skool gaming skills than say Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid.

The swearing while it helped to set the scene and suited your surroundings was really no big whoop, I'm not the sort of person who sits around thinking I'm cool because the men on my Xbox say __.

Sure it did feel like Rockstar sold the game on the basis of the swearing and the fact you can machete someones head off and it also felt like they were trying too hard to shock and offend people. But there really was a lot more to the game than that.
Wed 09/02/05 at 12:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It sucked, clunky graphics and a mediocre game that couldn't decide between shooting or sneaking - ended up with a halfassed attempt at both.
Appeals to snickering teen boys who think swearing and comicbook violence = quality game.

But, on the bright side, it influenced a nice young drug-crazed teen into hammerkilling somebody for money. Which left us a bit more room to breathe and enjoy this planet.
Wed 09/02/05 at 12:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I don't like it purely for my psychopathic hatred of 'Rockstar cool'.
Tue 08/02/05 at 23:52
Regular
"8==="
Not banned. Just certain stores decided to take it off the shelves.

You can pick it up in various stores and online shops, I believe SR Still stock it too ('Due soon' on Xbox, 'last few' on PC).
Tue 08/02/05 at 23:47
Regular
"no nonsense"
Green Ferocity wrote:

> I hope theirs a sequel.

doubt it as the game got banned because of some physco
Tue 08/02/05 at 21:33
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I really enjoyed it actually. I enjoyed the gradual introduction of weapons and the difficulty was pretty prefect. It was also kinda scary when you alerted the guards and got chased. Their were also some fun moments in it. Such as seeing the guy having a crap in his caravan, then luring him into the darkness by smashing the window so he gave chase. That bit where you had to hit the guys with the fridge was bloody hard! In the end I just got out and shot 'em all with a nail gun :)
I hope theirs a sequel.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.