GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Liverpool need to do"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/07/04 at 23:41
Regular
I've been wondering if Liverpool stand a chance of winning the Premiership now that there's been a few changes. I mean, there's always an air of optimism when a new manager comes in. (Looks at Spurs - Jacques Santini and Sean Davies and suddenly it's time for the trophy to be won at White Hart Lane for another season. They're talking of Europe. Here's a tip boys, don't make any tackles. You'll get relegated, but still qualify for the UEFA through Fair Play. Seriously).

It's a bit different with the Pool though, right? All this fuss about £24 million for Didier Drogba and Liverpool have bagged a younger, more internationally experienced striker who's consistently outscored Drogba in the French League for almost half that. You see Real Madrid making any offers for Drogba? No, they've got Raul and Ronaldo, of course. Yet they felt compelled to try and prise Cisse away from Auxerre when he'd given his word to Liverpool. But Djibril's a man of his word, good lad. So we've got him up front. And England's best striker isn't on the blue side of the Mersey. Michael Owen is faster and more clinical than Rooney. He doesn't try and bundle every shot in with a piledriver. He has finesse. He can also control his weight. He doesn't sulk when he gets subbed. He's a better striker. It's a strike partnership equal to Henry and Berkhamp, if you ask me. As for United, Saha wouldn't even have got in the French squad if Cisse hadn't been banned. Alan Smith? Mikey outclasses him in every way. Van Nistelrooy wouldn't score nearly as many if the ref spotted all his 'gamesmanship'. Liverpool are looking good up front. And it's not bad to have the Golden Boot winner sitting in the bench, telling Diao how Karel Poborsky can drink with the best of them.

In net, I'm not sure Dudek, our first choice, is the equal of Howard or Cudicini. But Chris Kirkland is the future England No 1. If he stops injuring his wrist through too much exposure to Stevie's wife, then he'll peform.

I also reckon Sami is one of the best defenders in the Premiership. Stevie Finnan and Riise are superb attacking full-backs. Riise in particular has, I believe, the best scoring ratio for any full-back playing in Britain (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I don't really need to say much about Stevie. Gerrard is better than Viera. And he's loyal, look at Chelsea throwing lots of rubels at him. He's Scouse, through and through, although I reckon it was Carragher sneakily sending those death threats because he needed a drinking buddy and Mikey's mum still doesn't let him out after 9, and Harry Kewell is always diving on the way down to the local.

Can we win the Premiership? No, unfortunately. I've got a lot of respect for Jamie Carragher, but we need a better partner for Sami than him. The midfield needs bolstering too. Didi Hamann would be better limping off back to Bayern Munich while anyone still wants him, and Kewell's too unpredictable. It looks like a good midfield, sure, but another good signing is needed. Benitez needs to do a Mourinho and start nicking players from his old club. Ayala would do the job nicely.

But then again, who knows? If Ant prays nice and hard, Kewell might remember that he was quite good at Elland Road, and then we've got a brilliant attacking winger. If Stevie can replicate last season's form with Cisse and Mikey up front, if Hamann realises that he can still tackle, if Diouf is never ever played, then we've could break into the top 3.

I certainly wouldn't shed a tear for Roy Keane getting munched by Stevie, or Cisse nutmegging Campbell on the way to a hatrick. Could happen...

Anyone got any thoughts bout Liverpool's chances?
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:24
Regular
Lil Bro wrote:
> Hardly. Let's take this Euro for example ^o|

--

OK, lets. Twice, brilliant work at the post allowed Mikey to chip a superb mini-cross in, once for Rooney to connect his meat-head with no chance of missing, and another time to allow Scholes an easy flick in. Another time, a perfectly-placed pass by Owen split the defence to allow Rooney his easy one-on-one with the Croatian keeper. In the France game, the central defenders were forever grouped near Owen - he was drawing them away to give TeenageWonderSulk space. A penalty, perfectly drilled down the middle of the net with no hint of nerves - despite the fact that after Beckham's miss and his double-miss in the Prem, all the pressure was on him. Against Portugal, great movement gave him space to turn and loft a ball over Ricardo for England's best goal of the tournament.

But unfortunately, Jermain Defoe missed it. He was feeding the cat.
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:26
Regular
Ashley wrote:
> > I wouldn't be so cocky on Cisse

--

He's been one of my favourites for ages. Plus he's called Djibril. Plsu he turned down Real Madrid for Liverpool. I like him :)

> Personally i don't really rate owen as a world class forward myself
> (very good but not top notch, yes, i wouldn't want him at chelsea,

--

Not too many people at the Bridge would agree with you there, I bet. Owen would be automatic first choice at any club in the world, except possibly Real Madrid (He's better than Raul, but they love him there).

>
> You could do with Benitez raiding valencia as their midfield is
> pretty awesome and Gerrard and "the Badger" (Baraja) would
> be a pretty damn good pairing and you could do with a few of their
> wide players too!

--

I want Ayala I want Ayala I want Ayala I want Ayala, heh.
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:33
Regular
"Colourless"
Lil Bro wrote:
> Now we have a world class manager with a world class
> Technical Director for signing players and contracts.

No. We got Mourinho. He european champion. He special.

Santini managed to make a brilliant team look ordinary in Euro 2004, so I'd see how he does in his first season before you start hailing him.

> Name one of these players you honestly wouldn't want in your team
> (outside the top 3 clubs):
>
> Leigh Mills -England under 16 captain

No. He can't be on this list. No one has heard of him, or would want him now.
> Mendes - Not sure. See how he plays....
> Davis - Most teams have good central midfield partnerships.....

> We have 1 amazing
> defender, 2 amazing midfielders and 2 amazing attackers.

Who? Defoe and Keane are top quality, granted. King's not amazing yet.

> we're better than Boro,

Lies. No one is.

> And yes, Europe is most likely all you're going to get

I think they'd be pleased with automatic CL qualification....

> Now, unless you get another good, established striker in, and
> quick, it looks like your team is going to be carried singly by
> Steven Gerrard again, like you were last season.

And then next season.....HE'LL BE OURS! Mwahahahahaha
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:47
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Personally I don't see Spurs improving all that much this season. They'll probably be top half this time, but in around 8th or 9th spot. Santini must be relatively good to have been in charge of France, but we really didn't see much from France at Euro 2004, did we? Yes, they had 8 straight wins to get there, but when your group consists of Slovenia, Israel, Cyprus and Malta, that's hardly a mean feat. At the tournament as well, they were quite simply poor.

Liverpool will have a better season as well, but I don't know if it will be good enough to get them a top 3 position. Djibril Cisse is obviously a great striker, or he wouldn't have finished with such a high amount of goals in his past few seasons with Auxerre. Rafa Benitez is also a great person to have at the head of your team. Look what he's done with Valencia. As Stryke said, they're a poor (in terms of funds) club in comparison to Real Madrid and Barcelona, yet they've won the Spanish title this season, and did a few years back as well. Benitez has created a great team (not bunch of over-paid single players), so I think he can do something similar for Liverpool.

As for Middlesbrough, who somehow fitted into the discussion here... They'll also have an improved season. Top 6? Maybe. Top half? Definitely.
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:52
Regular
"Colourless"
I think Valencia's success is down to the great Claudio Ranieri.... :P
Tue 20/07/04 at 14:11
Regular
Cheers AJ, good on you.

I wish Chelsea hand't fired Claudio. Best manager ever, simply because of his comedy. If he hadn't kept Joe Cole on the bench, he could've won the league :)
Tue 20/07/04 at 15:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I do disagree with parts of what you originaly said, Stryke (mainly how, aside from Jamie Caragher, you seem to think Liverpool have all the best players in the Premiership...? ;) ), but you are entitled to your own opinion, so I'll leave it there.

I don't actually think there are too many holes within the Liverpool team that really need to fixing of another new signing or two. Gerard Houllier may've been greatly critisised for spending the club's fortune on people like El-Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao, but, if you ask me, it didn't do them any credit to have a blind-sighted manager like himself telling them where and how to play!

With Rafael Benitez, however - a man who's already proven himself at the higher levels of club-football - things could be very different, if you give him and the squad some time. You never know... Since Benitez is more likely to give players a second-chance instead of dumping them in the reserves and flogging them the following summer, we could see the same Senegalese striker that gave himself the £10m price-tag, back in 2002...

I don't think Liverpool really have that bad a squad - they had a terrible manager in place who didn't know how to handle players, that's all! Just ask Paul Ince and Sean Dundee what they thought of his man-handling skills when they were down... We all saw the great potential in Sander Westerveld - how far could he have gone, had Houllier only helped him through his bad patch?

Rafael Benitez - new man, new beginning for Liverpool. I also think you need some more experience at the back, also, but you could also find some great things from within your current squad you didn't know about before. I reckon you could suffer from neglecting Diouf, like it seems may be set to happen...

Personally, I'd have gone for an English manager at Anfield, to bring back the British spirit to the side. I've never been one for foreigners, and I don't think Liverpool will get back to their best with Benitez, either.
Tue 20/07/04 at 15:11
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> I do disagree with parts of what you originaly said, Stryke (mainly
> how, aside from Jamie Caragher, you seem to think Liverpool have
> all the best players in the Premiership...? ;) ), but you are
> entitled to your own opinion, so I'll leave it there.

--

I didn't say that. Steven Gerrard is the best in his position in the world, IMO. He's got more going forward than Viera, and is just as good in defence. If we're comparing leadership qualities, just look at Stevie pulling Liverpool almost single-handedly into 4th place when they deserved 5th or 6th. Michael Owen is one of the best strikers in the Premiership. Yes, Henry is better at the moment, but that's it. Shearer is a little too old now and Ruud is only as good as the pass that finds him inside the area. Djibril Cisse - one of the most highly rated young talents around. Baros - top scorer at Euro 2004. But that's it, I didn't say anyone else was "the best", I just said people like Sami Hypiia and John-Arne Riise were very good.

Carragher's the best at drinking though ;)

--
>
> I reckon you could suffer from neglecting Diouf, like
> it seems may be set to happen...

--

We really don't need him, even if he somehow proves that the World Cup wasn't just a fluke. Even if you judge him on that form, Owen/Cisse/Baros have been better for longer.
Tue 20/07/04 at 15:19
Regular
pretty much my thoughts. chelsea's main strength this season is more in players they have got rid off, so they don't have to rotate them in.

It could be a similar situation at Liverpool if they continue cutting, they will have a stronger core which only needs two or three players adding to it. A centre back and a right midfielder and maybe another centre midfielder depending on the hamman situation. And whether Benitez can get Murphy back on track could cut one of those positions back.

They are only a few players off, but unless they sign them the gulf remains. Mexes as the centre back (ayala is a bit on the old side and lpool need to build a future) and someone like baraja (admitedly old to but would be perfect) to fill the gaps, andy van der meyde? could probably get the lot for under 30 mill. Its just money you might not have until you get your investors or have a mini clear out.
Tue 20/07/04 at 15:27
Regular
Unfortunately, Mexes has signed for Roma. I thought he was coming to Anfield for sure, what with him being at Auxerre. Djibril could've had a few sneaky words and explained that unless he signed, la Steven Gerrard and le Jamie Carragher will break his legs, oui?

But Mexes would prefer to go and get spitting lessons from Totti. Dirty French defender.

Whereas Cisse is a wonderful French forward :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.