GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What Liverpool need to do"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/07/04 at 23:41
Regular
I've been wondering if Liverpool stand a chance of winning the Premiership now that there's been a few changes. I mean, there's always an air of optimism when a new manager comes in. (Looks at Spurs - Jacques Santini and Sean Davies and suddenly it's time for the trophy to be won at White Hart Lane for another season. They're talking of Europe. Here's a tip boys, don't make any tackles. You'll get relegated, but still qualify for the UEFA through Fair Play. Seriously).

It's a bit different with the Pool though, right? All this fuss about £24 million for Didier Drogba and Liverpool have bagged a younger, more internationally experienced striker who's consistently outscored Drogba in the French League for almost half that. You see Real Madrid making any offers for Drogba? No, they've got Raul and Ronaldo, of course. Yet they felt compelled to try and prise Cisse away from Auxerre when he'd given his word to Liverpool. But Djibril's a man of his word, good lad. So we've got him up front. And England's best striker isn't on the blue side of the Mersey. Michael Owen is faster and more clinical than Rooney. He doesn't try and bundle every shot in with a piledriver. He has finesse. He can also control his weight. He doesn't sulk when he gets subbed. He's a better striker. It's a strike partnership equal to Henry and Berkhamp, if you ask me. As for United, Saha wouldn't even have got in the French squad if Cisse hadn't been banned. Alan Smith? Mikey outclasses him in every way. Van Nistelrooy wouldn't score nearly as many if the ref spotted all his 'gamesmanship'. Liverpool are looking good up front. And it's not bad to have the Golden Boot winner sitting in the bench, telling Diao how Karel Poborsky can drink with the best of them.

In net, I'm not sure Dudek, our first choice, is the equal of Howard or Cudicini. But Chris Kirkland is the future England No 1. If he stops injuring his wrist through too much exposure to Stevie's wife, then he'll peform.

I also reckon Sami is one of the best defenders in the Premiership. Stevie Finnan and Riise are superb attacking full-backs. Riise in particular has, I believe, the best scoring ratio for any full-back playing in Britain (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I don't really need to say much about Stevie. Gerrard is better than Viera. And he's loyal, look at Chelsea throwing lots of rubels at him. He's Scouse, through and through, although I reckon it was Carragher sneakily sending those death threats because he needed a drinking buddy and Mikey's mum still doesn't let him out after 9, and Harry Kewell is always diving on the way down to the local.

Can we win the Premiership? No, unfortunately. I've got a lot of respect for Jamie Carragher, but we need a better partner for Sami than him. The midfield needs bolstering too. Didi Hamann would be better limping off back to Bayern Munich while anyone still wants him, and Kewell's too unpredictable. It looks like a good midfield, sure, but another good signing is needed. Benitez needs to do a Mourinho and start nicking players from his old club. Ayala would do the job nicely.

But then again, who knows? If Ant prays nice and hard, Kewell might remember that he was quite good at Elland Road, and then we've got a brilliant attacking winger. If Stevie can replicate last season's form with Cisse and Mikey up front, if Hamann realises that he can still tackle, if Diouf is never ever played, then we've could break into the top 3.

I certainly wouldn't shed a tear for Roy Keane getting munched by Stevie, or Cisse nutmegging Campbell on the way to a hatrick. Could happen...

Anyone got any thoughts bout Liverpool's chances?
Mon 19/07/04 at 23:41
Regular
I've been wondering if Liverpool stand a chance of winning the Premiership now that there's been a few changes. I mean, there's always an air of optimism when a new manager comes in. (Looks at Spurs - Jacques Santini and Sean Davies and suddenly it's time for the trophy to be won at White Hart Lane for another season. They're talking of Europe. Here's a tip boys, don't make any tackles. You'll get relegated, but still qualify for the UEFA through Fair Play. Seriously).

It's a bit different with the Pool though, right? All this fuss about £24 million for Didier Drogba and Liverpool have bagged a younger, more internationally experienced striker who's consistently outscored Drogba in the French League for almost half that. You see Real Madrid making any offers for Drogba? No, they've got Raul and Ronaldo, of course. Yet they felt compelled to try and prise Cisse away from Auxerre when he'd given his word to Liverpool. But Djibril's a man of his word, good lad. So we've got him up front. And England's best striker isn't on the blue side of the Mersey. Michael Owen is faster and more clinical than Rooney. He doesn't try and bundle every shot in with a piledriver. He has finesse. He can also control his weight. He doesn't sulk when he gets subbed. He's a better striker. It's a strike partnership equal to Henry and Berkhamp, if you ask me. As for United, Saha wouldn't even have got in the French squad if Cisse hadn't been banned. Alan Smith? Mikey outclasses him in every way. Van Nistelrooy wouldn't score nearly as many if the ref spotted all his 'gamesmanship'. Liverpool are looking good up front. And it's not bad to have the Golden Boot winner sitting in the bench, telling Diao how Karel Poborsky can drink with the best of them.

In net, I'm not sure Dudek, our first choice, is the equal of Howard or Cudicini. But Chris Kirkland is the future England No 1. If he stops injuring his wrist through too much exposure to Stevie's wife, then he'll peform.

I also reckon Sami is one of the best defenders in the Premiership. Stevie Finnan and Riise are superb attacking full-backs. Riise in particular has, I believe, the best scoring ratio for any full-back playing in Britain (correct me if I'm wrong here).

I don't really need to say much about Stevie. Gerrard is better than Viera. And he's loyal, look at Chelsea throwing lots of rubels at him. He's Scouse, through and through, although I reckon it was Carragher sneakily sending those death threats because he needed a drinking buddy and Mikey's mum still doesn't let him out after 9, and Harry Kewell is always diving on the way down to the local.

Can we win the Premiership? No, unfortunately. I've got a lot of respect for Jamie Carragher, but we need a better partner for Sami than him. The midfield needs bolstering too. Didi Hamann would be better limping off back to Bayern Munich while anyone still wants him, and Kewell's too unpredictable. It looks like a good midfield, sure, but another good signing is needed. Benitez needs to do a Mourinho and start nicking players from his old club. Ayala would do the job nicely.

But then again, who knows? If Ant prays nice and hard, Kewell might remember that he was quite good at Elland Road, and then we've got a brilliant attacking winger. If Stevie can replicate last season's form with Cisse and Mikey up front, if Hamann realises that he can still tackle, if Diouf is never ever played, then we've could break into the top 3.

I certainly wouldn't shed a tear for Roy Keane getting munched by Stevie, or Cisse nutmegging Campbell on the way to a hatrick. Could happen...

Anyone got any thoughts bout Liverpool's chances?
Tue 20/07/04 at 10:09
Regular
"Reynolds"
Liverpool need to start practising some spot kicks =)
Tue 20/07/04 at 10:33
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
How are we going to get relegated? How are you going to win the title?

We have a darn good squad, which is going to be added to over the rest of the close season. We were good last season, but we didn't have a manager. Now we have a world class manager with a world class Technical Director for signing players and contracts.

Name one of these players you honestly wouldn't want in your team (outside the top 3 clubs):

Robinson - Possible England no 1 for the future
Ledley King - Class and young
Carr - Newcastle seem pretty interested in him
Leigh Mills -England under 16 captain
Mendes
Davis
Keane - Consistently amazing
Defoe - He's been on form this pre-season and was great last season.

We have what Ashley requires in every team, 2 good defenders, 2 good midfielders and at least one good striker. We have 1 amazing defender, 2 amazing midfielders and 2 amazing attackers. We're better than Birmingham, we're better than Boro, we're evern better than Aston Villa when on form. They're all tipped to get the Europe spot, so we should be too.

We have every chance of getting into Europe if we play well. And we should because we have the players to do well and we now have the Staffing team to do well.

I think you should open up your eyes, Liverpool aren't the only team capacble of gettnig Europe.

And yes, Europe is most likely all you're going to get, because to put it quite frankly, you have a god awful squad for someone chasing CL, even the title. Youre striker force is poor, with your only good striker being Cisse. He's never player in the Prem before, he most likely won;t adjust to it, much like Diouf, and fail miserably. To win matches, you need to score goals. And to score goals you need to have good strikers, somethin you don't have.

Now, unless you get another good, established striker in, and quick, it looks like your team is going to be carried singly by Steven Gerrard again, like you were last season.
Tue 20/07/04 at 11:09
Regular
Keane and Defoe aren't the equal of Owen and Cisse.

What it is this thing that every England fan has against Owen? Can you not accept that it's possible for Rooney AND Owen to both be good? Because they are, and you can't blame being knocked out of Euro 2004 on Owen not performing. He did, and he IS a good, established, consistent goalscorer for Liverpool. He's averaging 1 in 2 for England, and he's been playing internationally for 6 years.

What proof do you have that Cisse will be another Diouf? You just assuming because he's coloured and foreign it'll be the same? Cisse has been top-scorer in the French League for 3 years running. Trezeguet has to fight fo his place because Cisse is there. He's viewed as one of the finest young striking talents in Europe. And he's playing next season at Liverpool.

I'd rather take those two to a failed Inter Milan striker and a forward who's just out of the first division and can't even displace Emile Heskey in the England team. Oh, and on the bench? Kanoute (sp?) or Baros, another of the brightest young striking talents in Europe and, I might remind you, the man who outscored Rooney (and everyone else) by the quarter-final stage?

Davis? Oh dear, we're worried now. I bet Roy Keane, Patrick Viera, Stevie et al are quaking in their boots at the thought of him bossing the White Hart Lane midfield. Even Robbie Savage is better than Sean Davis.

I'll give you Ledley King, but just on the basis of his performance against France. And, odds on, he'll be playing defensive midfield for you anyway. Granted, he's quicker than your average defensive midfielder, and a helluva lot faster than the blunderbuss that is Hamann (our weak link), but he's not fast enough to stop three of the paciest strikers in the Premiership.

Paul Robinson Vs Chris Kirkland is a close one. We'll have to see on that. But you'll have to face it than Jacques Santini just doesn't have the pedigree of Rsfa Benitez. A man who only got the France job because everyone was kinda busy, or the man who has led Valencia (a team vastly underfunded compared to Barcelona and Real Madrid) to La Liga titles twice and the UEFA Cup? Against, I might add, a team boasting the "fearsome" Didier Drogba.

So I'm sorry, but Liverpool are much more assured of a European place than mid-table Spurs. But at the end of the day, it's only football. The same attitude is going through Birmingham and Boro at the moment - the attitude that two sulking strikers and a spent Reizegier can make a difference. Let's not get all worked up. We'll see first day of the season, eh? ;)
Tue 20/07/04 at 11:13
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
I never said that you weren't assured a higher place than us, I was just fuming at the fact you've written us off from Europe so damned early.

Robinson is a mile better than Kirkland and quite frankly should be England no 1.

Owen is sh!te. Simple as that.

Defoe should have been in the England squad, certainly over Heskey, probably Vassell too.

Keane is consistently amazing for Ireland.

I was going to say, we'll see first day of the season when we oprepare you for what's going to be a tough campaign with all the additions to squads. We'll kick you into place don't worry.
Tue 20/07/04 at 11:15
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Davis is quality too, maybe not up to those three, but he has the bonus of ebing young too, with a lot to learn, and much space for improvement. He was brilliant for Fulham last year and compared to our midfield last year, he will do a world of good for our midfield.

Watch 'n' learn, first day of the season, we'll see Davis running rings around Gerrard ;)

Oh, and Keane and Defoe running rings around Kirkland.
Tue 20/07/04 at 11:17
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
And about Cisse (sorry I couldn't remember all your post first, even second time :D) I was just saying he has no experience in the Premiership, even England for that matter, and like Diouf will have troubles settling in. I was merely suggesting he may not get ver these troubles and adapt to our style of football.
Tue 20/07/04 at 12:35
Regular
Davis couldn't run rings round a cone. Look, I'll accept the Robinson/Kirkland argument, but you can't seriously claim Owen is poor. He's one of the best strikers in the world!
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:05
Regular
"Spurs 1 - 0 Man Utd"
Hardly. Let's take this Euro for example ^o|
Tue 20/07/04 at 13:09
Regular
I agree with most of what you've said. Liverpool won't win the league (as things stand) as there are obvious deficiencies in certain positions.

I wouldn't be so cocky on Cisse, personally i believe he will work out well, but i am staying cautious on Drogba too. You never can tell how well a striker will survive a transition between leagues especially if like cisse they are young, or in Drogba's case have been a bit of a one season wonder so far. However i think Cisse will turn out well.

Personally i don't really rate owen as a world class forward myself (very good but not top notch, yes, i wouldn't want him at chelsea, but i probably would have taken Cisse and wouldn't mind having baros in my rotation system). However i believe you have more than enough up front to sustain you, as Baros (and as previous posts have shown pre euro 2004 from me) is a top player who was screwed over by Houllier. No heskey too. That could get you another 10-15 goals a season which would help close that gap!

You could do with Benitez raiding valencia as their midfield is pretty awesome and Gerrard and "the Badger" (Baraja) would be a pretty damn good pairing and you could do with a few of their wide players too!

If there are no major transfers in the next few weeks you'll probably pick up a much closer 4th place than last season. If you bag a couple of players in key places who knows?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.