GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Wants to Touch Me?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/02/05 at 22:33
Regular
Being the geeky guy I am, I wore my "Touch Me" T-shirt to work on Tuesday and brought in my Nintendo DS to have a play on my breaks. I had played a little Super Mario 64, a very quick game of Metroid Prime Hunters Demo and a smidgen of the Wario Ware Touched demo the night before.

First of all, everyone was asking what it was and I went through all the Nintendo PR spiel. "It's got a touch screen, has two screens, Virtual Surround sound, can communicate wirelessly, blahdy blahdy blah" (I actually said those blahs). They seemed rather impressed so I let them have a go.

I took them to the Super Mario 64 DS Rec Room using some touch screen shananigans, and showed them the great Bob-omb Squad game. Gareth in work decided to have a go and after many attempts, got a high score of around 36000 (which was beaten by my six year old cousin that night). I was showing off some of the features, and explaining the Pictochat feature to one of the girls in work, and suddenly I was greeted by a 'hi'. The other side of the room someone with an American DS had seen me doing the a Reggie and decided to have a go himself... just as I was telling my colleagues that there's not much chance of seeing anyone else on there for a couple months.

The next day, Gareth had another go on the best minigame on the cart. He beat my cousin's score with what seemed like an amazing score. I let two other girls in work have a go too, both doing rather well. Tracy managed to get a new high score of just over 50,000. Gareth fought back the next day with a great score in the mid 60,000s, however, because he didn't quit the game before powering off, the score didn't save. Much to his annoyance.

This morning I had a very quick go before work. I got myself a high score of 84,800. All day Gareth and Tracy have been trying to beat my score, getting scores only in the 60,000s. Now my scores dominate the entire high score table with my lowest at 68,700. My target is to get 100,000 or more.

Now what amazes me is how this one minigame, hidden amongst the Warios, available from the start, is able to get the attention and addiction of just a few work colleagues in the space of a couple days. Gareth is already planning what games he is going to get for his DS, a DS he wasn't sure about getting until just a couple days ago, and states that the price will be worth it just for that one game.

None of them have played the main game, nor have they played any of the other minigames. I have and I'm hooked. So much so that the two demos that came with my DS have hardly been touched.

If Nintendo can offer so much from a re-release of an old game, and get casual gamers in such a competitive state on a simple minigame, then they're sure to do well in the handheld market. With Wario Ware released in March, as well as games such as Project Rub out soon, then Nintendo wont have anything at all to worry about when the competition strikes over three months later.

Maybe I've just felt the magic...
Sat 12/02/05 at 16:48
Regular
Full time or part time?

(Sorry for the questions, just interested in looking for a job again, need ideas for what to try etc)
Sat 12/02/05 at 16:57
Regular
Full time - with limited flexi :D
Sun 13/02/05 at 19:51
Regular
This is what the entire "I-pod" concept that's being touted by Nintendo. Loads of people buy it, some get it before launch, their mates play it. As more people play it more people buy it so more people can play it and understand it.

By October the DS is on everyones christmas list. Not too expensive for kids, doesn't look too kiddy for adults and is really inventive and new so there isn't any competiton either.

The DS COULD be the must have item this Christmas and sell millions in every region.

Last time that happened to Nintendo was in 1989 with the release of a certain "Gameboy".
Sun 13/02/05 at 20:03
Regular
I have to say I am very impressed by Nintendo's marketing of the DS - a secondary handheld console that they want to succeed.

Atleast if it doesn't sell, they can't turn around and say, "Well it could have been better if we actually promoted the thing."

Only yesterday I went into my local Megabowl where they were setting up DS pods...a large quantity of them. They were putting them everywhere where there was space! Within seconds of them being set up, there were young adults playing Wario Ware Touched on them.

And their tour round the shops is bound to get some interest.

They may not be too hot on the TV advertising side of things, but atleast they're doing their best to make sure people choose after playing the thing.
Sun 13/02/05 at 20:07
"period drama"
My top's 49200 on bomb squad.
That was about the 2nd time I played it - haven't come close since.
Sun 13/02/05 at 20:19
Regular
We'll have to set up some kind of score thread for the minigames - should people be interested (and honest enough to post their real scores).

I'm up for some competition if anyone else is.

My average score now seems to be in the late 60k

Though my lowest on my scoreboard is in the mid 70ks

I think they're going to be rather p'd off with me in work tomorrow :D
Sun 13/02/05 at 20:42
Regular
TV adverts aren't all that useful when it comes to games. It's best to get the system out there first.
Mon 14/02/05 at 08:23
"possibly impossible"
So was the DS 'officially' classed as a non-offical follow up to the Gameboy, or is it still just internet rumours?

I had a similar experience at work. Took the DS in on Friday and already have two people wanting one on release. Unfortunately, not met anyone else with a DS yet for some Picochat action, but I'm sure it won't be long...
Mon 14/02/05 at 08:37
Regular
Which is the Bob-omb Squad game? I can't remember.

My current favourite is the one where you sort pink and black Bob-ombs into the correct zones.

It get's hectic further into it.
Mon 14/02/05 at 14:05
Regular
"thursdayton!"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Which is the Bob-omb Squad game? I can't remember.

Thats the one where you use the catapult to stop the bombs which are parachuting down. Best score is 78000 on that now :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.