GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Wants to Touch Me?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/02/05 at 22:33
Regular
Being the geeky guy I am, I wore my "Touch Me" T-shirt to work on Tuesday and brought in my Nintendo DS to have a play on my breaks. I had played a little Super Mario 64, a very quick game of Metroid Prime Hunters Demo and a smidgen of the Wario Ware Touched demo the night before.

First of all, everyone was asking what it was and I went through all the Nintendo PR spiel. "It's got a touch screen, has two screens, Virtual Surround sound, can communicate wirelessly, blahdy blahdy blah" (I actually said those blahs). They seemed rather impressed so I let them have a go.

I took them to the Super Mario 64 DS Rec Room using some touch screen shananigans, and showed them the great Bob-omb Squad game. Gareth in work decided to have a go and after many attempts, got a high score of around 36000 (which was beaten by my six year old cousin that night). I was showing off some of the features, and explaining the Pictochat feature to one of the girls in work, and suddenly I was greeted by a 'hi'. The other side of the room someone with an American DS had seen me doing the a Reggie and decided to have a go himself... just as I was telling my colleagues that there's not much chance of seeing anyone else on there for a couple months.

The next day, Gareth had another go on the best minigame on the cart. He beat my cousin's score with what seemed like an amazing score. I let two other girls in work have a go too, both doing rather well. Tracy managed to get a new high score of just over 50,000. Gareth fought back the next day with a great score in the mid 60,000s, however, because he didn't quit the game before powering off, the score didn't save. Much to his annoyance.

This morning I had a very quick go before work. I got myself a high score of 84,800. All day Gareth and Tracy have been trying to beat my score, getting scores only in the 60,000s. Now my scores dominate the entire high score table with my lowest at 68,700. My target is to get 100,000 or more.

Now what amazes me is how this one minigame, hidden amongst the Warios, available from the start, is able to get the attention and addiction of just a few work colleagues in the space of a couple days. Gareth is already planning what games he is going to get for his DS, a DS he wasn't sure about getting until just a couple days ago, and states that the price will be worth it just for that one game.

None of them have played the main game, nor have they played any of the other minigames. I have and I'm hooked. So much so that the two demos that came with my DS have hardly been touched.

If Nintendo can offer so much from a re-release of an old game, and get casual gamers in such a competitive state on a simple minigame, then they're sure to do well in the handheld market. With Wario Ware released in March, as well as games such as Project Rub out soon, then Nintendo wont have anything at all to worry about when the competition strikes over three months later.

Maybe I've just felt the magic...
Mon 21/02/05 at 23:07
Regular
"Touched!"
pb wrote:
> I've decided now that I don't want a PSP just yet. I'm not as excited
> about it. I'm not sure if it's that the DS comes out first or that
> I've just become a Ninty fanboy without knowing it, but the DS covers
> all the bases for me in terms of handheld games.

I think that sums it up nicely, for me as well. The DS for me and with the games coming out does everything I want from a handheld. So unless the PSP has some games that really wow me I'll be sticking with my DS for a while yet.
Mon 21/02/05 at 22:32
"possibly impossible"
I've decided now that I don't want a PSP just yet. I'm not as excited about it. I'm not sure if it's that the DS comes out first or that I've just become a Ninty fanboy without knowing it, but the DS covers all the bases for me in terms of handheld games.
Mon 21/02/05 at 20:53
Regular
Cheers JFH :D

And thanks to Ash too for pointing out I had won the other day. I really did not expect this to win. Didn't actually think it would get many replies. :P

As for claiming my game, I've got 90 days to do it :P
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:41
Regular
"0228"
Evil GAD winning Edgy. I submitted a decent review on the same day as well but I had a feeling this would win because, even though I hate to admit it, it's a well written post so congrats to you Edgy.
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:32
Regular
edgy are'nt you going to get your prize
Wed 16/02/05 at 19:36
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
and he did.
Tue 15/02/05 at 16:44
Regular
"thursdayton!"
N64 Fan wrote:
> Ohhh you naughty naughty boy!

Spank me.
Tue 15/02/05 at 10:00
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Well done Edgy!
Mon 14/02/05 at 22:27
Regular
Thought I may as well set it up, seeing as I'm addicted to this DS :D
Mon 14/02/05 at 22:20
Regular
"...ninkendo..."
there is one called sm64 minigame mayhem! now, so please do enter all your scores. i want to see if anyone can beat my wanted! score.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.