GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E3 Revolution"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/02/05 at 11:13
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Some of you may recall my previous topic detailing how I think not showing Revolution properly (just a concept, non playable etc), would be a HUGE mistake for Nintendo. Then Dringo argued with me about it, saying that my opinion was wrong (good one!!!11).

Anyway, turns out IGNcube agree with me completely.

[URL]http://cube.ign.com/articles/587/587028p1.html[/URL]

The main points for those of you too lazy to read:

- Sony and Microsoft are going for MASSIVE launches of their new machines, Nintendo needs to keep up

- Nintendo need to pay attention because no one outside the fanbase is talking about Revolution, because no one knows anything about it, so they ignore it

- Nintendo need to use Reggie to unveil the console and games

- Revolution must be playable to generate interest, just like with the DS

- Revolution can't sacrifice power for gimmicks

- The revolution must actually improve the gameplay experience and not just change it slightly for no reason

- Games must be shown and not just talked about

- Nintendo can't forget 3rd parties by making Revolution so different that no one will want to develop for it

- Gamecube needs some surprise games

- Mario 128 must be playable or at least shown

- Zelda must be more than just OOT v 2

So pretty much everything that I said. Anyone agree/disagree? Personally I think they've got it spot on.

Oh and the report also says that Developers haven't got hard machine specs or dev kits yet, Dringo, so looks like you were wrong about that. Apparently we'll get that at the GDC in March.
Sat 12/02/05 at 23:23
Regular
"I play the Harmonic"
It would never happen but it should, well come to think of it it shouldn't seeing as that would be takig away one of the Revolutions top titles. Whoops is all I have to say on that one.
Sun 13/02/05 at 03:45
mermoid wrote:
> Almost everything Nintendo does now is based on stupid gimmicks.

Tis true, even Nintendo has stated (Iwata I think) that the NG consoles shouldn't be about horsepower alone... so they're probably going ot offer soemthing significantly different.

now, what isn't seen as a 'traditional" feature improvement (like better CPU, x polygons /sec - mostly technnical stuff) will be classified a gimmick by its competitors, and more importanly, the big retailers in charge, who ultimately determine who gets the store space.

The Revolution has to be at least on a par with the others in order to stop becoming anotther niche console again, even when it comes down to the MHz/Ghz race, as childish as it sounds.
Sun 13/02/05 at 16:29
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Two things;

1. Isn't someone like IBM producing the main chip or something for all machines making them all likely to be very similar spec?

2. I can easily see Nintendo trying to be a budget console for the next one. Coming out at a price faaar less than the others and hoping that will make more ppl buy it.

:)
Sun 13/02/05 at 16:48
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Cooky wrote:

> 2. I can easily see Nintendo trying to be a budget console for the
> next one. Coming out at a price faaar less than the others and
> hoping that will make more ppl buy it.

In some respects yes! But there are those who will see a cheap price and think that its naff because of it! The Gamecube is cheaper than the other 2 now but it hasn't helped push Nintendo into 2nd or 1st place has it?
Sun 13/02/05 at 17:06
Regular
No.

It's not the price that puts people off, it's the lack of games.

3rd party support for Cube has gotgradually worse and the 1st party offering have hardly been games that have wide appeal amongst casual gamers.

Unfortunatly Nintendo seem to think that gamers want simpler titles such as Donkey Konga, but in actual fact games like this help to further imprints in the minds of anti Nintendo people that "NINTENDOEZ 4 BABIEZ!!1!1"

The thing that Cube has really missed has been Rare style titles. Zelda will help but Cube really needs another Goldeneye or Perfect Dark style hit.
Sun 13/02/05 at 19:36
Regular
Nintendo think gamers want simple games like Donkey Konga? Erm no, that was a game that is a spin off of a already popular Namco series. Nintendo think gamers want a new way to play games so they can start from a simple angle.

Like Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, not like Donkey Konga.

And I sent some feedback strongly disagreeing with their article.
Sun 13/02/05 at 20:44
Regular
"ProGolfer"
How about a few more games which arent like mario? May sound strange i know i am a big nintendo fan but as i get older im growing away from it i feel, all the games seem to be in cartoon style.
Sun 13/02/05 at 20:49
Regular
"8==="
I'm getting a Cube again for the RPG's and titles with the more adult presentation.

It's the games with the adult presentation that made me love my N64. Once I had that solid basis I could then branch out and get the Mario Party's etc knowing that I could slaughter my mates in Goldeneye should the mini games get boring.
Mon 14/02/05 at 01:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Oh for f**ks sake, if people actually took a look at what was on Cube, they needn't worry.

Mario/Zelda/Metroid etc are great games. A great game is a great....etc.

Or, you buy some blood drenched game like Resi, Legacy of Kain. Whatever.
Mon 14/02/05 at 10:57
Regular
I don't see why people think Nintendo knock Mario titles out faster then EA can produce FIFA 2005.1

They're not sequels for christs sake, nor updates, each one is a completely different game. The physics and characters might be the same, but it's a different adventure each time.

It's like the Final Fantasy series, each one is a different game.

Same with Zelda etc.

Mmmmm Zelda.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.