GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Find me a book?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/07/04 at 00:30
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I don't like to read.

Well sometimes I do but most of the time I find it too hard to read a book and continue to read it and enjoy reading it.
No idea why.

Usually the books I read are for my uni course or autobiography's like Barry Sheene or Gerorge Best's.

But I want a change, a book to take on holiday and read on the plane or by the pool. I thought "I'll look on amazon and find something" but with so many o choose from it just became much like the looking for the needle in the haystack.

So I call on you. The intelligent SR member who has no doubt read something worth reading.

I'm not after a huge book, or anything to serious or filled with pap romance. Not really sure what I'm after to be honest. Probably just some helpful suggestions and a brief overview of the plot or story of the book.

Cheeers
Fri 16/07/04 at 17:53
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Fri 16/07/04 at 16:58
Regular
If you like sci-fi then i would suggest any of these brilliant books...

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan
Broken Angels (sequal to altered carbon)
Market forces by Richard morgan
Prey by micheal Crichton

If you ever like the Red dwarf series then the books are great

Colin
Thu 15/07/04 at 19:33
Regular
I quite enjoyed The Good Soldier Svejk.
Thu 15/07/04 at 19:31
"Darkness, always"
The Real Story
- Stephen Donaldson

The rest of the series will follow, naturally, but they are books you will burn to read.
Thu 15/07/04 at 19:29
"period drama"
Try Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris (I think that's her name) - it's probably one of my favorites. It's ... charming, I suppose the word is, and brilliantly written.

Basically about this one-hit-wonder author, flicking between the present and his childhood (from the time his book was written about) when he met some random, weird guy called Joe who is always telling crazy stories.

Yeah, I'm crap at explaining stuff - but it's a fantastic book.

There's also this light-hearted, quick-paced fantasy trilogy called The Chronicles of the Raven that I'm reading. Can't remember who writes it, but the first book is called DawnThief.
Really good.

And, if you want a quick blitz book (I read it in 2 days) try Prey by Micheal Crichton (yes, the Jurassic Park guy) - it's about nanotechnology taking over and killing everyone. Far fetched and a bit stupid, but a nice read.

There should be something for you in there.
Thu 15/07/04 at 13:31
Regular
"i am the b#tch"
of you don't like long books why not try the dick king smith books i can finish them in 2 hours
Thu 15/07/04 at 13:29
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> The GingerLord wrote:
> Trish wrote:
> "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown I think it was.
>
> Good call! This is a stunning book, absolutely brilliant. ANd if you
> like it, check out the Genesis Code, by John Case, it's a bit older,
> but just as good.
>
>
> Those are both the bible code ones, right?

Yeah, sort of. The Da Vinci code (without giving too much away) concerns the Holy Grail, but there isn't a code within the bible. Just read it, it's too hard to explain!!!

The Genesis Code actually has quite a similar twist at the end, but again doesn't actually concern a code in the bible.

Oh, and I've just read the Prometheus Deception, which I agree is amazing, Biggles! Although I heard that some of Ludlum's books are written by others and then his name "attached" to them, do you know anything about that?

GL
Tue 13/07/04 at 20:27
Regular
The GingerLord wrote:
> Trish wrote:
>
> Good call! This is a stunning book, absolutely brilliant. ANd if you
> like it, check out the Genesis Code, by John Case, it's a bit older,
> but just as good.

Those are both the bible code ones, right?

I was interested at first, but then there was a program on it which included a bit where they used the same techniques to find a 'prediction' of Princess Di's death in Moby Dick.

Since then I've been a tad less interested.

And yes Light, my typing is retarded, and my dyslexia hypochodria grows :^)
Tue 13/07/04 at 18:10
"I love yo... lamp."
The Prometheus Deception by Robert Ludlum.

The guy was a genius.
Tue 13/07/04 at 17:42
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Trish wrote:

Good call! This is a stunning book, absolutely brilliant. ANd if you like it, check out the Genesis Code, by John Case, it's a bit older, but just as good.

GL

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.