GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS: - Pixel Perfect?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/02/05 at 15:00
Regular
"DS..."
Finally received my VIP Nintendo DS Pak this morning only to find a few moments later upon booting up the MP Hunters Demo that in the centre of the screen, glaringly obvious against the black screen with the Nintendo logo and the stunning intro, there it was, in all it's unlit shade of green annoyance, one, solitary, dead pixel...

Bah, I assumed Nintendo would have at least made sure after this problem was reported with quite a few American DS units that the first 3000 Pal DS units would be free of this annoyance, I know some people might be thinking "so what?, big deal! it's only one pixel" etc but it really is quite distracting when playing games and generally quite unacceptable when you consider that you've shelled out just over £100 for it...

Meh, anyways, has anyone else had this problem with either the US or VIP Pal DS units? if so, does anyone else have any ideas of what to do by way of trying to get a replacement? I've allready sent an e-mail to one address that came with the documentation ([email protected]) stating the problem etc, I don't know if they'll bother to do anything about it though, hmm anyways, if anyone has any related Nintendo e-mail adresses, numbers etc post them in here if you want.

I just find this to be quite an annoyance overall really as with Nintendo you don't really expect this kind of defect with the hardware as personally I can't really recall having any problems with Nintendo hardware in the past, anyways, if anyone else has suffered from the same problem with the DS etc, feel free to vent your anger/frustration in this topic.

Slik -_-
Mon 14/02/05 at 10:24
Regular
"and PC user"
It's the downside of being an early adoptor. Sometimes it can be better to wait for quality problems on new products to be resolved. Although there is no rule for this, some manufacturer's will replace the screen if the dead pixel is in the center area of the screen, but not if its near the outside edge. Not sure what happens if you have more than 1 dead pixel.
Sat 12/02/05 at 22:10
Regular
"Pwned"
They would problibly replace the LCD screen with a new one.
Sat 12/02/05 at 22:08
Regular
"\\"
I thought it was impossible to fix it... Wouldn't it just be replaced?
Sat 12/02/05 at 22:04
Regular
"Pwned"
Nintendo commented on this pixel issue by saying;

"It's important to understand that this issue will remain limited by the pixels you have already noticed. The problem will not get any worse and you should not expect to see the problem in any other areas of the screen."

They also went on to say that they would fix any DSs suffering from dead pixels at no extra cost as long as the customer returns the device within it's waranty period.
Sat 12/02/05 at 20:31
"Tesco value"
They do say to massage the area around the dead pixel.
This was on IGN a little while back, dont go at it all guns blazing though, you dont want to completely nacker the screen, but it may help
Sat 12/02/05 at 16:21
Regular
A dead pixel is a manufacturing fault. Therefore it is covered under Nintendo's 2 year warranty.

Give the Nintendo Hotline a ring and they'll sort out replacing it.

Just might have a little wait as they're not out yet...
Sat 12/02/05 at 15:48
Regular
"the burning sky"
I heard somewhere that if you have any dead pixels, Nintendo will replace it free of charge. Unlock Sony, who request that you have at least 5 until they will change it.
Sat 12/02/05 at 15:23
Regular
Yeah, I'm pretty p!ssed off with Nintendo/Codestorm as I still haven't receieved mine, even though I ordered with a credit card just under 2 weeks ago. I checked my inbox this morning only to find an email from Nintendo saying they haven't received my parental consent form, which I sent the same day I ordered the DS with first class postage.

Either there's been a screwup at Codestorm or with the Royal Mail, but either way, I'm still pretty annoyed.
Sat 12/02/05 at 15:04
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Dead pixels on TFT screens are common and hard to avoid.
Sat 12/02/05 at 15:00
Regular
"DS..."
Finally received my VIP Nintendo DS Pak this morning only to find a few moments later upon booting up the MP Hunters Demo that in the centre of the screen, glaringly obvious against the black screen with the Nintendo logo and the stunning intro, there it was, in all it's unlit shade of green annoyance, one, solitary, dead pixel...

Bah, I assumed Nintendo would have at least made sure after this problem was reported with quite a few American DS units that the first 3000 Pal DS units would be free of this annoyance, I know some people might be thinking "so what?, big deal! it's only one pixel" etc but it really is quite distracting when playing games and generally quite unacceptable when you consider that you've shelled out just over £100 for it...

Meh, anyways, has anyone else had this problem with either the US or VIP Pal DS units? if so, does anyone else have any ideas of what to do by way of trying to get a replacement? I've allready sent an e-mail to one address that came with the documentation ([email protected]) stating the problem etc, I don't know if they'll bother to do anything about it though, hmm anyways, if anyone has any related Nintendo e-mail adresses, numbers etc post them in here if you want.

I just find this to be quite an annoyance overall really as with Nintendo you don't really expect this kind of defect with the hardware as personally I can't really recall having any problems with Nintendo hardware in the past, anyways, if anyone else has suffered from the same problem with the DS etc, feel free to vent your anger/frustration in this topic.

Slik -_-

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.