GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's all about software- PS2 doesn't have what it takes!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/06/00 at 19:09
Regular
Loads of people are saying that the PS2 will completely destroy every other system. Just looking at what Sony says that the system can do shows this. The system has a DVD player, will support high speed internet access and boasts to be the best console ever.

There's one problem though... The games are rubbish!

Let's take a look at the hype that Sony is throwing out about its system. They say the games will mark a revolution in gaming. Looking at the demos of Tekken Tag Tournament you'd be right to agree with them aswell- the demo showed 80 people on screen all generated in real time! But in the final game no such level made it on there. In fact, the backgrounds are still detached like the 5 year old original Tekken, and the game has loads of Jaggy edges (due to the PS2's poor Atni-Aliasing). In any case, the game is no more than Tekken 3 with better graphics.

And how about the other games? Sure Ridge Racer 5 looks nice, but try with 2 players, and the background detail drops to almost the level of the PSX! Like Tekken, the game is just a prettier version of its PSX original.

So how about the PS2's other features? Well, as for the DVD player, this has caused Sony loads of problems. First the had to recall the DVD driver discs, and almost got into a legal battle with holywood. Now Sony are finding that so many people have bought the PS2 just as a DVD player that PS2 sales in Japan are only at 7.8% of the total market, compared to the 49% on release!

This just all goes to show that whatever gimmicks companies throw around, all that really matters in the end is the games. The PS2's line-up has some good games, but these are no better than the Dreamcast equivalants. Maybe that's why the Dreamcast is in total domination of the American games market. With games like Shenmue, Metropolis Street Racer and Jet Set Radio, it looks like the DC is the choice for gamers. Sure the PS2 has a DVD player, and may become a set top box, but wasn't there another console like that called the 3DO once upon a time?
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:44
Regular
"Back For Good"
yeah it's the same person.
I'm just stating that if you win something it'll say

gameaday winner is "MJ§w£®v£"

who?? if you get my drift, it's up to you but I'd just make it like Swish's with just the S or something.
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:38
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Hang on another sec you are the same person. Why did you say it is good then tell me it should be simpler.
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:35
Regular
Hang on a sec you just said it was good in another room.....wait a minute you and Residentevilfan are not the same person are you. You just have the same Tag. You have really confused me now. Wo can I trust? No one! Thats who.
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:31
Regular
"Back For Good"
no offence, but thats a bit over the top with your name.I'd make it a bit more simple.
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:29
Regular
I dont actually have a Ps2 so I cant really say much. Although my mate has one and his DVD works perfectly mind you he did get it in february which was after all the problems I had heard about were sorted out.
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:24
Regular
"Back For Good"
The PS2 has no real problems with it's anti analising, it's just got a bad reputation for third party devolpers not knowing how to really program for it yet.

Check out the new games instead of the incredibly RUSHED launch titles and you'll see exactly what i mean.

The Japanese version of the console has a bad DVD player which isn't compatible with a long list of discs and requires a driver card to run it, We have the driver built in and it runs ALL dvd's perfectly.

You obviously haven't seen very much of the PS2 or you would know alot more than what your trying to say,I sold off my dreamcast which had some nice games on it but just does not compare to the PS2. I recommend you head down to EB and have a good look at the PS2 on display.
Sat 16/06/01 at 20:52
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Sonic, can you stop bringing up really old topics becuase it's...
> well... annoying beyond belief!

it's interestning though! This was posted a year ago... and yet so much of it still reigns true!

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 20:25
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
The GC now theres a good console, good pheripherals and great game.
Sat 16/06/01 at 19:31
Regular
"You've upset me"
Sonic, can you stop bringing up really old topics becuase it's... well... annoying beyond belief!
Sat 16/06/01 at 19:27
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
here's the oldest of my posts that is still accessible!

Sonic :)

some thigs never change.. except by name was "rav" back then

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.