GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS marketing push, GAME situation improving... Daleks attack London"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/02/05 at 21:43
Regular
Today was yet another one of those days where Dringo became his normal loserish self. After missing the bus the Nintendo fanboy went on a journey around the 4 video gaming stores of Cambridge. And liked what he found.

For starters GAME shop A has decided to push "The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords" with nice big TV screens showcaseing the game and the game is prominant on the new releases shelf.

GAME shop B has extended it's Gamecube range, extra shelf space has been aquired.

Gamestation boasts the best, there are 4 large shelving sections filled with GAmecube stock now.

All these and Gametron also feature nice new DS pods and there are ques at everyone I visted during my lunch period. I was also impressed at Nintendo's choice of game. Mario 64 DS, although great, takes time to get to grips with. Wario Ware is more pick up and play and this clever little title which is easy to play and showcases the DS's abilities brilliantly has got many a gamer addicted to it.

GAME shop B is the larger shop and has 2 new releases shelves. One is filled with the latest UEFA game whilst the other is endless boxes with the words "PRE-ORDER YOUR DS TO AVOID DISSAPOINTMENT" and entire gaming rack filled with these promo's.

Oh and Daleks attacked London.

All in all a good day.
Thu 17/02/05 at 22:15
Regular
In video gaming TV adverts aren't that useful. That's why ALL video gaming companies use so little of them.

Games success comes from word of mouth and critical reviews, as well as demo pods, posters and so forth. TV adverts are never that great at trying to sell a game because TV ads cost so much money and games don't sell that much to make it worthwhile.

Single product advertiseing rarely does that well. Tesco, Sainsburys, Woolworths etc... are selling many things, they are trying to sell the company as a whole and they make a lot of money from a variety of products.

Games, films, CD's etc... there are TV ads but very few. Simple because it isn't worth it.
Thu 17/02/05 at 09:46
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Dringo wrote:
> TV ads aren't, actually, all that effective.

So the hundreds of thousands of pounds that companies spend (some millions) are just a waste of time? I dont think so!
Wed 16/02/05 at 22:35
Regular
Domaye wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Okay, I am not too hot on spelling, or a major in grammer either. In
> fact, one essay I have receieved back, that was only slightly
> edited,
>
> er i before e but only before e?
> lol sorry :(

Except in the case of Ancient and Science.

TV ads aren't, actually, all that effective.
Wed 16/02/05 at 19:33
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Yer spulling nad grandma ist excelant
Wed 16/02/05 at 17:39
Regular
"-_-"
Dringo wrote:
> Okay, I am not too hot on spelling, or a major in grammer either. In
> fact, one essay I have receieved back, that was only slightly edited,

er i before e but only before e?
lol sorry :(
Wed 16/02/05 at 11:47
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dringo wrote:
> blatent grammer and spelling errors.

I'm weeping in despair.
Wed 16/02/05 at 11:04
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Dringo wrote:
> I can't see the DS NOT having a big launch over here.
>
> Nintendo really are giving it their all. Now it is up to the public.

Not quite yet though!
Giving it their all is having 'build up hype' adverts running NOW. Ads on the sides and backs of buses. Ads on the radio, TV and cinema. FULL PAGE ads in the papers NOW, not 3 weeks after launch day!

I want the DS to be the 'in thing' but Nintendo's history of advertising is well known to be defunct!

Its all very well them hyping it up in bowling alleys and shopping centres but it needs to be on TV more! During prime time and not 3am!
Wed 16/02/05 at 10:59
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Yeh I much prefer Gamestation to GAME now. I really do hope that Nintendo get it 'right' with the DS. It will help with stores such as Gamestation supporting Nintendo better than GAME.

As for GAME ever making more space for the 'CUBE' then you're in cloud cuckoo land. GAME love Sony, end of story!
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:58
Regular
It does seem to be taking, could well turn out to be a game system craze that Nintendo hope it to be.

If it becomes that, and is the must own system for Christmas 2005 it may not crush Sony. It'll mean Nintendo have a larger market to themselves again and Sony are left with the PS fans, gadget freaks and those wanting something different. Which is still a lot of sales.

If the DS really is gonna be as huge as it might be able to I will take off my hat to Nintendo. And I hope everyone here does. And acknowledge that they do, after all, know what they're doing :P
Tue 15/02/05 at 23:55
Regular
Yup.

Apparently everyone was really enjoying it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.