GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spider-Man 2 - My Review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/07/04 at 01:32
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Ok, I have some mixed views of the film - there's a lot that worked and some that didn't work either. Some very slight spoilers may lie ahead, but don't worry, I'll make sure it's nothing major and nothing that hasn't really been shown in trailers/TV spots already.

Pros:
- The likelyhood is that you're gonna at least like this film to a discernable degree if you enjoyed the first, and rightly so.
- The film has considerably more humour than the first. The first was a reasonably dark film at times, and the same here, but there is a lot of humour in the mix too, which helps lighten the load, this being a Marvel movie and all.
- There are plenty of references to the comic books - Parker's line "Spiderman...no more" being perhaps the most noticable. Nice to see that Sam Raimi stuck some in there after practically zero in the first installment. Also, there's a few characters in there who later go on to become villains etc, and some passing references to some other characters.
- The acting is pretty decent, and they've got rid of those awkwardly silent bits from the first, where MJ says something to Peter, and he just stands around smiling like the right poon that he is. Script-wise, and acting wise, it's decent.
- Almost the entire cast have returned - even the guys working for the newspaper from the first!
- There's guest cameos - try and look out for Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell.
- The CGI is very nice indeed, although I still feel that Spider-Man himself didn't look too realistic in the flying scenes. Otherwise, very impressive, mainly with Dr. Octopus' arms.
- There's a lot more action than in the first - the two main characters have three main fights, and there's a lot of other set pieces too, so you really get a bite for your buck here.
- We're left on a cliffhanger for the 3rd film, and it's obvious who the villain in 3 will be. A nice way to end the film.

Cons:
- A big gripe for me was that so much was copied from the first film - there's countless shots of Spiderman swinging, which while impressive, are nothing new. Also, the villain, Dr. Octopus is just another mentally ill person, like Norma Osborne in the first.
- How the hell this film got a PG rating I will never know - we've got people getting electrocuted, thrown through glass, stabbed with glass, blown up, burnt, falling all over the place, to name but a few.
- I didn't really feel that the final battle was terribly satisfying. The locale wasn't that great and I didn't feel the sense of urgency I expected. It seemed very rushed, and we quickly move on to the final scene, just wiping over what just happened.
- Some of it just isn't explained well enough or at all, mainly where Parker loses his powers temporarily - there's not really a decent explanation given.
- There was one area in this film that strayed from the books vastly - in that a fair number of people discover Parker's identity, yet in the comics, it was a huge deal whenever someone did.
- There are some references that these kids going to see the film are never going to get - eg. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid.

9/10. I'll probably watch it again tomorrow. I eagerly await Spider-Man 3 on May 4th, 2007.

Cheers,
Mikhail.
Sun 04/07/04 at 22:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Would anyone stop me if I killed him?

Heck, i'd hand you the knife.
Sun 04/07/04 at 18:26
Regular
Would anyone stop me if I killed him?
Sun 04/07/04 at 17:00
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I had my banning priveleges rescinded when I came back through the catflap. Well, that's not strictly true. I just can't be bothered, frankly. He'll only come back under another name.

As a side point, I tried to sign up for an account on Ladbrokes.com yesterday, and it wouldn't let me have the username 'MrSnuggly' because someone already had it! What kind of idiot has a gay username like that?
Sun 04/07/04 at 13:09
"I love yo... lamp."
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Heh, you know this guy is Shaneo, right?

And yet you haven't banned the guy who defrauded Special Reserve?
Sun 04/07/04 at 13:05
Regular
"not dead"
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> Shaneo : Still 99% spasticated

Come on! 100%, and I won't hear any less.
Sun 04/07/04 at 12:32
Regular
Really though, what kind of spastic downloads films like Spider-man 2?

I can understand people downloading hard to find films and one's that don't get released in this country. Only film I've ever downloaded is 'House of 1000 Corpses' mainly because it was taking an age to get a distribution deal. But Spider-man comes out in a couple of weeks and will be infinetly better at the cinema.

Shaneo : Still 99% spasticated
Sun 04/07/04 at 11:36
Regular
"not dead"
Mr Snuggly wrote:

SCUM!
Sun 04/07/04 at 01:53
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Mr Snuggly wrote:

Aaaah, justification for murder.
Excellent.
Sun 04/07/04 at 01:50
Regular
Ahahahaha I cant help it!
Sun 04/07/04 at 01:50
Regular
BURRRRNNN HIIIMMMMM

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.