GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dealing With Lowlifes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/07/04 at 18:39
Regular
I'm all for people fighting. If it's organised between people who choose to be involved, doesn't drag in innocent people, and doesn't cause too much damage to nearby property.
Then it's virtually a sport.
If it's what a bunch of people want to do, let them kill each other for all I care.

But what about dealing with lowlife scum who go out looking to drag just anyone into a fight?

I figure most of the older members will have been there a few times - you're in a pub/club, out for a good time, and some knuckle-scraping moron, drunk beyond the capacity for intelligent thought (not that they ever had very much of it), trys to start something with you / a friend.

In the street you can usually just keep walking and nothing happens. In a club you can't.

Last night one, on a dancefloor, of the aformentioned nutsacks began eyeballing my friend.
It turned out he'd spilt / sprayed something down my friend's arm, who turns to see what's happening, and the fricking missing link is glaring and muttering at him.
We weren't looking for any trouble, my friend was obviously slightly annoyed, but would have happily settled for a mutual apology. Not going to happen with this guy.

My friend held this guy's stare. Probably not really a good idea to avoid trouble. Then ape-man started those arm gestures, towards bringing his fists up.
As the sober one (driving) I tried to diffuse the situation, went to have a friendly word with the monkey, along the lines of 'hey, don't worry about it'.
Just to seperate the two of them really, hoping he'd give up on it after the moment had passed.

His response to me was an aggressive 'you get the f*** away from me'.
I gave an accepting shrug to prevent him taking anything up with me (these idiots don't need a legitimate reason to go for you, but they do seem to need some minor cue to justify it to themselves), walked away, and fortunately that was the end of it.

So far that's always worked - hold yourself well, so that you don't look like a 'victim', be calm and don't be (or come across as) remotely aggressive, be polite, and leave as soon as possible.

But after it was over I felt pretty frustrated. Thinking about it, I don't really mind the utterly disrespectful attitude so much - I genuinely don't give a toss about his opinion of me.
It was just that shrug, saying 'fair enough - you insult me, and I'll go wonder off, like you say'.

Hmm. Is it possible to diffuse an aggressive drunk whilst retaining your dignity and some self-respect at the same time?
Fri 02/07/04 at 18:39
Regular
I'm all for people fighting. If it's organised between people who choose to be involved, doesn't drag in innocent people, and doesn't cause too much damage to nearby property.
Then it's virtually a sport.
If it's what a bunch of people want to do, let them kill each other for all I care.

But what about dealing with lowlife scum who go out looking to drag just anyone into a fight?

I figure most of the older members will have been there a few times - you're in a pub/club, out for a good time, and some knuckle-scraping moron, drunk beyond the capacity for intelligent thought (not that they ever had very much of it), trys to start something with you / a friend.

In the street you can usually just keep walking and nothing happens. In a club you can't.

Last night one, on a dancefloor, of the aformentioned nutsacks began eyeballing my friend.
It turned out he'd spilt / sprayed something down my friend's arm, who turns to see what's happening, and the fricking missing link is glaring and muttering at him.
We weren't looking for any trouble, my friend was obviously slightly annoyed, but would have happily settled for a mutual apology. Not going to happen with this guy.

My friend held this guy's stare. Probably not really a good idea to avoid trouble. Then ape-man started those arm gestures, towards bringing his fists up.
As the sober one (driving) I tried to diffuse the situation, went to have a friendly word with the monkey, along the lines of 'hey, don't worry about it'.
Just to seperate the two of them really, hoping he'd give up on it after the moment had passed.

His response to me was an aggressive 'you get the f*** away from me'.
I gave an accepting shrug to prevent him taking anything up with me (these idiots don't need a legitimate reason to go for you, but they do seem to need some minor cue to justify it to themselves), walked away, and fortunately that was the end of it.

So far that's always worked - hold yourself well, so that you don't look like a 'victim', be calm and don't be (or come across as) remotely aggressive, be polite, and leave as soon as possible.

But after it was over I felt pretty frustrated. Thinking about it, I don't really mind the utterly disrespectful attitude so much - I genuinely don't give a toss about his opinion of me.
It was just that shrug, saying 'fair enough - you insult me, and I'll go wonder off, like you say'.

Hmm. Is it possible to diffuse an aggressive drunk whilst retaining your dignity and some self-respect at the same time?
Fri 02/07/04 at 18:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> Hmm. Is it possible to diffuse an aggressive drunk whilst retaining
> your dignity and some self-respect at the same time?

Yes, its a technique known as "A bottle to the head".
Fri 02/07/04 at 18:47
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Yeh a bar-stool over his head would of done the trick
Fri 02/07/04 at 19:38
Regular
"8==="
Out in the street a drunk guy asked me for a cigarette, I told him I didn't smoke so he said he'd cut me if I didn't give him a cigarette. I just walked off because he was wasted anyway.

If I'd have been 100% sure he didn't have a knife I'd have got 10m down the road then come back and smacked him in the face as hard as I could.

Grr.
Fri 02/07/04 at 20:44
Regular
hmm, I felt a leaning towards violence too.

I figure people who say that'd make me as bad as that guy are wrong - I'd not be looking for a fight with whoever I could drag into one, it'd be a reaction to provocation.

When people say dropping down to their level means 'they've won'.. I figure that's crap too. They don't care whether they bring you down to their level, they've won nothing. But even if they don't win, you do lose.

I don't want to be drawn into violence though. I just want to go out and have a good-natured good time - have a laugh, have a dance, pull..

But these mongs seem insistant on spoiling it. :^(
Fri 02/07/04 at 22:03
Regular
This situation happens on many occassions, like when you are walking down the road at night with a group of friends...the morons attack!
Fri 02/07/04 at 22:46
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
This has happened to me a few times over the last few weeks.

After the night of the England v France match, I was understandably a little miffed and decided to head home relatively early, so headed for the cab queue. Unfortunately, so did around 10-15 other people, which meant there was a rather large queue that I had to sit at the ass-end of for about 15-20 minutes.

When my friend and I eventually got to the front of the queue, this bunch of blokes came round the corner, and, possibly due to genuine ignorance, joined the queue at the wrong end. I explained to them calmly and politely that they were at the wrong end of the queue, but they weren't having any of it, and a jokey exchange quickly turned a little heated. Eventually, when the cab turned up and they tried to barge in front of us, I got a little louder and a little more aggressive, telling him to 'get to the back of the f##king queue', but was met with similar tough guy responses, and as him and his mates bundled into the back of the cab, I was pulled back by my friend.

Now apparently I was still a little drunk, but I reckon I was perfectly within my rights to be upset. I'm sick of utter louts like this bunch of tards thinking they can just walk all over people and get their way. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm most definitely not a fighting man, but had something have come up, I was so angry I definitely would have fought back (and would have probably been pulped). But y'know, after a while, you just start getting sick of letting it all wash over you, right? My town is full of idiots like this, and it's because no one does anything that they continue to act like they own the place. Not a single person in the 20-strong queue said or did anything when they barged to the front.

Then a week later, about 20 metres down the road from the same cab queue, some drunken mong barged into me and then tried to start a fight (it was only his mates who dragged him off that prevented me from being smacked). Fortunately I was too drunk to get angry at the time, but was pretty mad when I thought about it afterwards. I'd hate to lower myself to their level, but sometimes the urge to mash my fist into their faces is almost overpowering.

Uh, I forget what my point was. I'm all for non-violent resistance and all that, but Gandhi never lived in Harlow with these nob-ends.
Fri 02/07/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Not a fighting man? Come on, a big strong muscle-head like you?

A eunuch has more balls then me when it comes to violence
Fri 02/07/04 at 22:59
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I constantly see this kind of nonsensical violence. Sometimes it is directed towards me or a colleague, and in some ways that’s worse. We have to be very careful of what we do or say.
Fri 02/07/04 at 23:03
Regular
"Arghh Me Heel"
I agree with you there Snuggly.

Sometimes you just need to stand up for what is right, yeah?

Well what happened to me was that i was out with mates in Ibiza, looking for girls and drink and generally having a great time out. We werent causing havoc or shouting and screaming and we were polite and quiet drunks. We were looking for girls and only looking for some fun.

We went into this bar, all i wanted was another drink, some big tard came and pushed into me and asked for a drink aswell, ( He was drunk also ) I stepped away and said nothing, he pushed me and complained about me moving into him. I said sorry for no reason at all and stepped away again trying not to get into any bother. He pushed me again and i punched him in the face.

I thought "I've had enough of people treating me like this", i have also been a believer of the saying "Treat others like you would like to be treated", but i did'nt do anything to him and had been treated unfairly.

looking back on that night at first i felt ashamed that i had stooped to his level and punched him, but then again i think i stood up for what felt right and felt that justice had provailed. Im not a violent person but he got what he deserved.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.